Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-22, 03:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default Flax & Coconut Flour Crackers

I've seen and tried several recipes for oven-baked flax crackers, and I'm not a fan of the burnt taste that comes with baking them. Enter the dehydrator. They come out perfectly. If you don't have one, I would bake these as low as your oven will go. 150 F would be fine, that's the temp of my dehydrator.
  • 1 c flax seeds, measured whole
  • 1/4 c coconut flour
  • 1 scoop (30 g) plain whey protein powder (optional)
  • seasonings - I just used some Goyo Adobo, but anything should work here
  • about 1.5 c hot broth - I used homemade, very flavourful, fairly concentrated
- Grind your flax seeds in a coffee grinder, ninja, etc; or if you're using pre-ground, use a little extra. Maybe 1.25 c. The exact amount doesn't matter; it will still turn out fine.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add your hot broth, and whisk together well. Let stand a few minutes. If it seems too thick to be spreadable, add some hot water.
- Line your dehydrator trays with parchment, then spread your cracker dough out by the spoonful. Alternatively, you could just make giant crackers, score them part way through, and/or break them up after they're done.
- Let them dehydrate for 4 hours or more, depending on your crispness liking and how thick you made them. I like to rotate the trays and check them for doneness every hour or two. Keep a closer eye on them if you're doing them in the oven at a higher temp.

For the entire recipe, which I consider to be about 6 servings (they're filling!)
1071 cal
79 g fat
74 g carb - 54 g fiber = 20 g net
69 g protein

I think I'm going to try to boost the protein next time with more whey plus some gelatin and collagen added to the broth.

There are LOTS of variations on these. I like the combo of flax and coconut - the coconut cuts the flax taste plus absorbs a lot of water.

I'd be careful of adding anything too salty. I tried them with parmesan cheese one time, and it was disappointing. Too salty, no cheese flavour. Same with certain seasonings that are volatile: I tried popcorn seasonings, and it made the kitchen smell awesome, but the flavour was completely gone in the crackers. Make them on the plain side and enjoy them with flavourful toppings like meats, cheeses, pate and other spreads, etc.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Apr-27-22 at 18:51.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-22, 08:32

Plan: RNY (small portions)
Stats: 306/225/120 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 44%

what a great idea! I am going to try this!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-22, 04:17
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Ooooo….yum! I haven’t made flax anything in forever. Thanks for sharing!! 😎