Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 21:58

Plan: Schwartzbein
Stats: 225/216/150
BF:
Progress: 12%
Unhappy Off the wagon for several months; trying to get back on

I need help. I am a Type 2 diabetic who has been quite overweight since the birth of my first child 23 years ago. I just cannot resist starches and sugars. I have been under a great deal of stre3ss, and I believe that I have eaten more of the wrong things because they bring me "comfort."

I will try to get back on track tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 10:14

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Welcome Sbailey and I hope you will find TSP (the Schwarzbein Principle) to be as helpful to you as it has to many others. As you know from reading her book a lot of the Dr.'s research has been with diabetics.

One does not have to forgo starches and sugars(naturally occuring ones such as in fruit) on her program, just choose the healthy, recommended amounts from her suggestions. There aren't any healthy foods eliminated from her program. The inclusion of healthy fats are probably what makes it easy to stick with also as it fills the body with it's nutritional needs.

For me the key to gaining control of my appetite was eliminating worthless sugars -- junk-- but not eliminating fruits. It takes time. Sometimes people find that they are not eating for comfort (although we all do from time to time) as much as actual nutritional need -- once we have given our bodies what they need and must have that we gain better control. TSP can do this -- but keep in mind that quality takes time and perseverance. (dang it!

I find coming to this board helps me to keep my goal in the forefront of my life so I stick with it.

If you are just starting in may I suggest you write down your measurments and refer to them in the future as one way to gauge your progress, you may see a reduction there before it shows on the scale.

keep in touch with us!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 13:49

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

sbailey, welcome back home!

We will help support you so that you can stay on a LC way of life. Please try to look at this as the way you will eat the rest of your life, rather than as a temporary fix for your current difficulties.

I have seen in myself and others, that the only way one can be successful is to take it up for a lifetime. Otherwise, we are doomed to failure.

We must not look at one "cheat" as a way to slip back into the old way, rather as a stepping stone to a lifetime of "mature" thinking about the way we eat, allowing ourselves that "treat" once in a while--then back to basics.

Looking forward to sharing with you!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 14:43

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I wanted to give you a recipe my sister found for a great custard. We don't use the artificial sweetner, we eat it with berries and we use all cream not half and half and it works out well. I have also made it with half cream and half coconut milk and that is really tasty that way also.
Good luck and we will be here for you.
Tanya
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 12:28

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Sheila,
I'm a Type II Diabetic, too. And, I'm returning to low carb, just like you. From time to time, I get tempted by Weight Watchers, because you can eat junk on it. And like you, I like junk. Just hang in there and we'll help each other through it.
Susan
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 14:32

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%
Default custard link

for some reason the custard link didn't get in my last post, sorry.
http://www.drblythe.com/weightloss/custard/recipe.htm
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 18:15

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Talking Hey, that custard sounds YUMSVILLE!

Thanks Sue for that recipe!

I plan on trying it in the next few days. I'll let ya know how it turned out.