Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 13:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 177/175/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Just Ranting!!!

Ok-

So here I am... I started Atkins the last week of January. I quit smoking the first of February. I lost 5 lbs the first week and the second week gained 7. I know all about the metabolism thing but come on.

I just need to figure out what to do until my metabolism straightens up.

Should I just forget about the low carb thing until it is regulated.
Well... Then I can feel icky the whole time because I truly was made to be a low carb person. I never get the 3 or 4 day blues. I usually begin sleeping only 6-7hours a night after the first 2 days. I am a ball of energy.

I won't even mention starting smoking again... that is NOT an option.

Should I just stick to program. I could maybe be a little more leniant with the carbs. Around 30-40 a day instead of the strict 20 I have been adhereing to waiting for the burn to start.

Right no though I just feel like sitting down and crying. I know part of this is my anal personality talking. I thought I could quit smoking and loose weight at the same time. It has kinda been a blow to my ego. I usually can do things when I set my mind to them and this time it is not working. I need to take a deep breath and remember. This to shall pass...

Thank you all for listening.
Amy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 20:49

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Amy, first of all, congrats on kicking the nicotine to the curb!
Now, think about the options that you have right now:

1) Don't change anything; keep low carbing and wait for your body to get over the shock of nicotine withdrawal. Maybe add some form of regular exercise to overcome any decrease in metabolism from the lack of nicotine.

2) Go back to your old eating habits and worry about weight loss later (this option will likely result in the return of all weight lost and a few more for good measure)

3) Switch to a different diet plan (however, if your body is just having the metabolic equivalent of a tantrum at having its nicotine cut off, weight loss will be no easier with any plan you choose).

4) Move to a higher level of carbs and just attempt to maintain for a month or so and then have another go at weight loss.

I realize it's frustrating to not have your body behave as you'd like it to, but even if you don't lose for a while, you're doing a very healthy thing for it by quitting the nic.
My advice would be to go with option #1; hang in there and keep trucking.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 20:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/182/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Anyone who has quit smoking will tell you it if VERY difficult to quit smoking and lose weight at the same time. I gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted to for the first 2 months and I am sorry now that I did that. I gained 20 lbs in those 2 months. My advice is to try to stick to your current plan, but add higher carbs if you need them to get through craves.

Don't smoke, no matter what! You can do it!

HTH

Deb - almost 5 months smoke free
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-07, 13:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 177/175/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Thank You

Thank you very much for the advixe and nice words.

I have decided to keep tracking my carbs. I prefer the old fashioned pen and paper way. There are so many different carb counts for the same food. I do better if I just read my labels, watch my portion size and write it down. I have also decided to kick the scale to the curb until I get done with the patch at least. I have not been gaining and that is good. I feel like a failure when I get on the scale every week though and it has not moved.

I will low carb because of how good it makes me feel and maybe this will be a very good lesson for me. I am afraid if I go back to the sugar and junk it will make me want a cigarette. I have had a very easy time of quitting without the sugar. Sugar and flour has a very addictive way for me. I tend to also feel more easily defeated when I am full of sugar. (flour etc.) I have a very severe wheat allergy and probobaly should have put the 2 togethor along time ago... Just didn't want to give up the spelt and rice bread. I guess better late than never.

Have a good week
Amy