Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-20, 13:46

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Back for round 3...or 4...well, back for a tune-up

I have gone down the Atkins road several times, twice over the last several years on this board. I have a hard time sticking to the plan over the long haul, and I have accepted that Atkins is going to be a 2-3 month yearly tune-up for me. I work out, am active, but if I eat like I did when I was 30 the weight comes back. So here I go again.

Where am I today? Good question, as I have not stepped on the scale yet. Judging by my pants and love handles, I think I have eclipsed 200, maybe 205. After the last time I swore I would not get above 200 again, but you know how it goes. My plan is to start off tomorrow with a 24 hour fast, and then go right into a diet that keeps me below 25 grams carbs until I get back to 180-185. I plan to weigh myself next Saturday, although I may get on the scale tomorrow.

You must understand that for the last 6 months, although working out hard with my son (we did a GoRuck Heavy in June), I have also been enjoying eating with him (Five Guys burger and fries, anyone?). Today, I have turned him over to Uncle Sam, so I am going to turn that feeling that all parents know into a focus on getting back to fighting shape.

Last edited by Sniggle : Mon, Jul-20-20 at 20:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-20, 18:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Easy for me to say, but if you go to Five Guys, get a bacon double cheeseburger with your favorite low-carb fixins (tomato, lettuce, onion, pickle, etc.) and use the bun as a plate. Don't eat it, eat off of it. Don't order the fries. If you're with someone, let them order their fries and steal a few good ones if you can stop at three. If not, then don't have any. Be honest with yourself, and build a list of satisfying low-carb indulgences you can relax and enjoy.

Also, I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but I've read that it isn't advisable to work out so hard when you first start Atkins/keto. It hampers your body's ability to get into a fat-burning state.

I wish you success!

Last edited by barb712 : Mon, Jul-20-20 at 18:47.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-20, 19:14

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
Easy for me to say, but if you go to Five Guys, get a bacon double cheeseburger with your favorite low-carb fixins (tomato, lettuce, onion, pickle, etc.) and use the bun as a plate. Don't eat it, eat off of it. Don't order the fries. If you're with someone, let them order their fries and steal a few good ones if you can stop at three. If not, then don't have any. Be honest with yourself, and build a list of satisfying low-carb indulgences you can relax and enjoy.

Also, I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but I've read that it isn't advisable to work out so hard when you first start Atkins/keto. It hampers your body's ability to get into a fat-burning state.

I wish you success!

Better yet, order your Five Guys burger in a bowl - no temptation at all to eat the bun. You're on your own for the fries though - I have no interest in them, but I realize how difficult it is to simply give up something you love. (I just kept saying "no" until I meant it.)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-20, 19:53

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

All the best you your son and yourself.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-20, 20:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712

I am sure there is some truth to that, but 'shape' is too hard to maintain at 56 to let it slide for a week or 2. I have been working out pretty consistently, so I will grind on, even if it slows progress a bit. If I am good, and history is any indication, I should be able to get back to 185 by early October, just in time for a GoRuck Double Tough event I am doing (first adventure I will have done without my son in 10 years).

Today had my last meal with my son for the foreseeable future...sushi with ice cream afterwards. Now only water until probably Wednesday lunch, and then time to gorge on awesome meat and salad, bacon and eggs, and keto venison stew into October. I actually am exited to be stepping off on keto again.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-20, 05:51

BF:

Fasted yesterday, got on the scale today and the verdict is....205.2...Ouch. I gained around 20 lbs in 12 months. Well, that is not sustainable. I guess a 56 year old who eats like an 18 year old will gain weight, even if working out regularly.

The advantage I have this time around is that the 18-year old is out of the house, so we (DW and I) can cease buying all the great tasting, carby junk, plus I will not be tempted to make a lunch run to a fast food place at his urging.

Under 25 carbs is the goal, and as before I don't calculate much, I just confine myself to meat, fish and salad, and it seems to work.

I had bacon and eggs for breakfast today, so off I go. Plan is to check the scale again in a week.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-20, 05:22

BF:

One week down (fasted last Tuesday, kicked off Keto last Wednesday). I have been good. Only indiscretions have been a couple small glasses of wine, some strawberry and watercress salad one night, and maybe 2 or 3 more carbs in the venison stew I made than planned (tomato paste had more carbs than expected, added a touch more carrots and turnips).

The results......202.6...down 2.6 lbs. I am pleased with this, and it tracks with my weight losses the other times I have gone down this road...typically 1.5 to 2.5 lbs per week to 190, and then around 1 lb. per week after that.

I did get a bit of the Keto flu for the 1st 5 days or so, and I had less energy during my workouts, but my body feels like it is coming around. If all goes well, in 2 weeks I should be below 200, and in 7-8 weeks back below 190.

Time to cook my bacon and egg breakfast.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-20, 15:53

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

SOunds like you are through the worst of Induction and on a good track. Dang, I envy you guys with your quick losses. I know my body feels tired week one but by the third week I am usually tackling the workouts with gusto. (Of course by week 8 I am dragging my feet, but still doing them, LOL)
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-20, 09:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Love the good news!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-20, 11:06

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

My replacement for fries is crispy, salted, roasted chicken skin.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-20, 06:13

BF:

Week 2 in the books...and the scale says.....200.0. Another 2.6 lbs. down, 5.2 lbs. total. Again, I am pleased with this, and prefer to sneak up on the 1XXs and then clearly go below on the next weigh-in.

I have been pretty good this week, sticking to 3 meals a day, no snacking, no nuts, only exception was a cheese stick one day. I did buy and finish a 6-pack of low carb beer this week, and had a half glass of wine or 2. It is also fresh tomato season, and so I have been eating tomatoes, for instance last night the DW made a tomato, mozzarella, avocado and artichoke salad with a balsamic vinaigrette..and I ate heartily...love that salad. Even diets must allow a little indulgence I believe.

Meals are typically eggs and bacon (2 eggs, 4 pieces bacon) or egg omelet (3 eggs, various vegetables, ham and cheese), lunches are typically for breakfast, Meat(left overs or venison) and a big salad for lunch and dinner is typically meat, chicken or fish and a salad.

I am pretty much in the groove, with no real urges to deviate from plan now, and feeling very satisfied with 3 meals a day with little desire to snack.

Workouts are getting better, although I do still think I have slightly less energy (or maybe I am just giving myself an excuse to not work out as hard).

Observation of the week...things taste so much sweeter when you remove sugar and starch from your diet. I can taste the sweet in lemons I use in my water, and the sweetness of the little bit of balsamic vinegar DW uses to make a salad dressing explodes in my mouth.

On to week 3, and hopefully the 1XX on the scale.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-20, 06:14

BF:

Week 3 in the books....and scale said...199.0. Officially below 200...again, but a smallish loss of 1 lb brings my total to 6.2 lbs. Not unhappy, but I think I know why it was only 1 lbs....I have gotten in the habit of having a couple of low carbs beers each night the last 7 days, which only 5.2 total carbs each night, but that may have slowed me down. This week I will again cut out all alcohol and see if I drop more.

Besides the low carb beer, I was good last week, with the only other deviation being the sightly sweet salad dressing the DW makes with balsamic vinegar on occasion. I worked out pretty much on schedule, and my energy levels during the workouts seems to be consistently better now.

As I have gone up and down between 230 ( at my worst) and 185 several times, I know all the milestones.
- Above 220 36 pants no longer fit and towards 230 38 pants can even be snug. Stomach is prominent and my face starts to show the weight. Thank good I have only been there once, but I have 3 pairs of 38 pants to prove it.
- Between 210-220 36 pants start to feel snug to uncomfortable, and my gut starts to protrude out past chest and the love handles are, well, handles.
---------The above I will definitely never visit again---------
- Between 205 and 210 36 pants fit, and the gut and love handles, although present, can rationalized.
- Between 200 and 205 is where the gut starts to retract, a faint outline of the stomach muscles starts to appear, and the love handles begin to look smallish.
- Between 195 and 200 is where the stomach starts to look 'flat', stomach muscles are more noticeable, 36 pants start to have a little extra room, and love handles are now fading.
- Between 190 and 195 the stomach muscles are visible (3-pack ), the love handles are nothing but small rounded areas where the torso meets the hips, and at the lower end 34 pants start to fit.
- Between 185-190, I look very fit, 34 pants fit well, 3 rows of stomach muscles are visible, and my face ha thinned slightly.

If someone told me I would stay below 200 for ever I would be satisfied, but below 190 is where I should live. I just need to keep making the right decision once I get there, step up on the scale a few times a week, and look at myself honestly in the mirror in the morning (if definition in my stomach is fading, the weight is adding).

Well, enough of my cathartic rambling. On to week 4.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-20, 09:41

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

Congrats, sniggle. I am so jealous of you guys!!! Your losses come so much faster. Great work!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-20, 06:29

BF:

Week 4 in the books......and the scale says...198.0. So I lost another 1 lb., bringing the 4 week total to 7.2 lbs. It keeps moving in the right direction, and as I have stated before I am happy with myself below 200.

Overall I was good this week, with my only failure being my inability to live up to my no alcohol pledge. I made it 3 days, but the 4th night I was feeling a bit depressed (mostly due to missing my son who is somewhere in the army basic training process), and went for a beer. So, from then on I have had 2 low carb beers a night, following my workout and getting re hydrated. It is weird to put it like this, but having a beer makes me feel in charge, in control, adult. I like the flavor, I like the feeling, and it does dull a little my continued struggles with coming to terms with my son being gone from the house.

From the food perspective, pretty much on plan, 3 meals a day, limited snacks (a handful of nuts 2 nights, a cheese stick before dinner a couple of times). Meat, fish, salad, vegetables. My appetite is really under control, minimal cravings, no significant hunger approaching meal time, and I am eating less for dinner (not because I am trying to, just because I stop when i feel full, which happens earlier).

As before, I have not had to touch the anti-acids for 3 weeks. I am not sleeping great these last couple of weeks, so I may try taking some melatonin before bed.

45 days until my GoRuck event, so I am going to try to get more miles under ruck this week (did 5 with 45 lbs yesterday) and the weeks leading up to the event, and continue to do my other workouts. Definitely on track to be at or below 195 for the event:-)

Well, off to make breakfast (bacon and eggs) and then do some work for mega corp to pay the bills.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-20, 08:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Welcome to onederland !!

BEER. In case you dont know, alcohol runs to the front of the line , ahead of ketones. Causing a stall. Beer and alcohol in the Atkins plan is one of the last foods to add back.

You are doing great!!!!