Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 14:53

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%
Talking Why not go and visit the nice turtles?

Hi everyone!

I've noticed some sections of this board are more active than others. A question in the newbies questions section gets a flood of replies at once. Questions here are soon answered...but the poor turtles .

I just posted a question inm the turtles club section and was amazed to see cries for help which had never had one answer...in one case even though 53 people had viewed it

Come on boys and girls, you're probably doing OK on this WOE. How about visiting the turtle club and helping out some of your brethern who are not doing so well

I know you've got it in you...

Robert
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 17:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thank you for posting this Robert. Everyone is so busy, this has slipped under the radar. Will try to remedy that. (It is possible that the turtles post the same questions in other forums and DO get replies.)

#3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 20:32

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Oh, bad, bad Friday! *Friday gives herself a sharp smack on the behind*

I read the title of this post and the only 'turtle' I could think of was the caramel and pecan kind dipped in chocolate.....

No visiting those til Christmas for me!

Cheers,

Friday

P.S. Hrm, even when I first came here, I never, ever posted in Newbies. LC it what you might call a 'three-peat' for me, so I guess I never thought I was one.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 22:48

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Re: Why not go and visit the nice turtles?

Quote:
Why not go and visit the nice turtles?

Cause turtles smell, they're not nice; they snap and they're ugly..... lol (lol the animal, no offense to any "turtleppl" here)

I noticed that too though, seems like the other forms are slower, and ya don't get as many responses unless you ask in General Low Carb or the Atkins Forum. I've seen a few of the "read 100 times" but nobody answers, and it could be a newbie with the simplist question. (Simple for the regs) I think that sucks.

I could be wrong, but it seems like this board is slower lately too..But I haven't been on much either. =/
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 01:16

Well, I'm sure I sometimes smell, I wouldn't call myself nice, I certainly snap - not sure if I'm ugly though. I just asked my patner - the answer was no! So I'm only a turtle in the sense that I don't lose weight fast.

Obviously if your doing just fine you don't visit a part of the board occupied by people with problems - unless you're either a very nice person who is confident and wise enough to dish out help or if you're just trying to getr that extra bit of chicken up on the left hand side!

Some of the questions which go unanswered have a definite medical content and people don't feel comfortable answering them.

My question in the turtle section received lots of replies - especially after this thread appeared. God bless Rosebud and the other regulars that's what I say! I think the board is just fine - people join - people lose interest - such is life.

Regards,
Robert
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 21:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

My only reason for not visiting the turtles is that I decided that my 'plateau' is, in fact, my new goal weight. I adjusted my stats accordingly. So I guess I chickened out.

I promise, I'll start reading the turtle forum!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 10:56
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Coming from a Turtle... great idea!

I have stopped posting over there myself, because to me, it was a downer somewhat. But now that my attitude has improved, I think maybe I can motivate someone on that forum, and hear some stories that can keep me going. It's VERY frustrating to lose so slowly...

#8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

I'll be honest and say the reason I don't visit that forum is that my perception is that "turtles" aren't doing all they can to lose weight, and that losing weight is way down on their pripority list. I'm doing all kinds of things to keep from stalling out such as:

cardio
weight training
CAD
low cal/low fat
fasting

If you've ever heard the expression "if you want to get smarter, hang out with intelligent friends" that's where I'm coming from. There are people here doing amazing things, and those are the people I can best learn from.

If they ever come up with a "hares" forum, that's where I'll be
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 15:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

How can one have a 'perception' of a forum and those who frequent it if they admit they do not visit there?

Quote:
If you've ever heard the expression "if you want to get smarter, hang out with intelligent friends" that's where I'm coming from.
Kinda reminds me of the one that goes "if you want to seem more sensitive and compasionate hang out with the tactless and uncaring."

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 02:39

Quote:
I'll be honest and say the reason I don't visit that forum is that my perception is that "turtles" aren't doing all they can to lose weight, and that losing weight is way down on their pripority list.

I think this is rather cruel and uncalled for. If you think you've got all the answers then visiting the turtles and making suggestions is where you should be. I'll bet you've had enough help from other people in the past - not least from the people who pioneered low carbing and wrote all the books on it.

Some of your ideas are not generally advised i.e. fasting and low carb - low fat. Although of course the excercise is fine.

I have lost 44lbs but now my weight loss has slowed right down. It is natural to go to a part of the forum where one can get advice on what to do about it.

As for:
Quote:
if you want to get smarter, hang out with intelligent friends

I am an academic, a teacher trainer and a linguist. I am the pricipal of a large school with 2,400 students and 40 teachers. I speak four languages fluently and publish articles in academic journals. Most people would admit I'm quite bright! I'm also overweight. Brains and a slim figure don't always go together!

Also you can see my postings all over this site.

Robert.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 11:21
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

And some of us "turtles" hang out over here...

I think I'll go check in and see if someone needs a buddy. Maybe they can join us over here too.

#12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 04:14

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Shark,
You obviously give this 100 %
So do I
You are very committed
So am I
however, with respect , you cannot criticise another persons efforts. Our metabolisms work in different ways, and what is right for you is not necessarily right for another.
If you get to know some turtles, and offer your knowledge kindly, that will be wonderful, and appreciated.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 05:05

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Well, I'm sure I sometimes smell, I wouldn't call myself nice, I certainly snap - not sure if I'm ugly though. I just asked my patner - the answer was no! So I'm only a turtle in the sense that I don't lose weight fast.

lol.

Quote:
Obviously if your doing just fine you don't visit a part of the board occupied by people with problems - unless you're either a very nice person who is confident and wise enough to dish out help or if you're just trying to getr that extra bit of chicken up on the left hand side

I personally don't bother much with the other boards just because I'm too stupid and make too many of my own mistakes to give others advice. But ya thats just me.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 19:09

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default ummmm . . .

OK, I'll ask --

what's a "turtle"?

Cheers
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 19:25

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

A turtle is someone who loses weight very very slowly.