Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-19, 21:07

Plan: none
Stats: 418/347/224 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Brand New Person

Hi pals. My name is Jeff.

I started low carb (This time) in september, and have been going pretty strong for 3 months. I kinda forgot that i used to be on LowCarbFriends forum. It's been a while.

Pretty severely obese here, but nowhere near my heaviest. Trending downward though, which is important. I should probably exercise more, but i'm currently dealing with a bunch of lower body injuries. I do get out to walk a bit, though.

Anxiety & Depression are an issue. I don't excel in social situations these days, not to mention i was recently laid off from my job of 21 years, so there's that too. Trying to stay positive here, and i'm looking forward to being a part of a group of people trying to accomplish the same goal. Progress toward better health. THanks for taking the time. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 09:11

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Hi pals. My name is Jeff.

I started low carb (This time) in september, and have been going pretty strong for 3 months. I kinda forgot that i used to be on LowCarbFriends forum. It's been a while.

Pretty severely obese here, but nowhere near my heaviest. Trending downward though, which is important. I should probably exercise more, but i'm currently dealing with a bunch of lower body injuries. I do get out to walk a bit, though.

Anxiety & Depression are an issue. I don't excel in social situations these days, not to mention i was recently laid off from my job of 21 years, so there's that too. Trying to stay positive here, and i'm looking forward to being a part of a group of people trying to accomplish the same goal. Progress toward better health. THanks for taking the time. Good luck!

Welcome!
Downward is downward! Hopefully other positive things, like faster healing, will find you soon.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 11:14

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Welcome back, Jeff. And congrats on restarting. Sorry for the recent setbacks. I've found over the years that focusing on my healthy eating path automatically gives me something positive to do and something really positive to look forward to. This forum always helps me along the way.

Couple of suggestions:

--In addition to checking in here regularly, try visiting Dietdoctor.com. I'm a member there, and yesterday, I spent practically the whole day vegging at my computer watching podcast videos. So much information!! Much of the site is free, and you'll find spectacular success stories--not rare either--of people who have started where you are now and found their way to a new life.

--Don't stress about exercise. Although it's "common knowledge" that you need to "burn calories" with exercise to lose weight, that is, in a word, bunk. Be kind to your body at your present size. Eventually, you will know when moving becomes more fun, when you want to. Then you can think about how to move. Dancing is a possibility.

Very best wishes for 2020 and beyond.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-19, 21:41

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Welcome and best wishes on your journey to awesome.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-19, 04:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi and welcome, Jeff.

I'm sorry about your job loss. I can relate somewhat. I've done the unemployed/underemployed version of low-carb. It sucks, but it would have been worse if I wasn't taking care of my body. I bet I burned a lot of calories crying myself to sleep those nights I wondered how I was going to pay the bills!

I agree with Barbara; don't sweat the exercise issue (pun intended)... but some walking can really help keep your head on straight. I HATE exercise, but walking has always been something that helps me fight anxiety and depression. Going LC in the first place was a huge difference-maker. I still have to fight SAD and even when it's so cold that I have to dress like I'm going for a space walk, I don't regret it.

Best of luck to you.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-19, 08:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Keep going! As Churchill says, the only way out is through.

I'm doing niacin therapy and started a thread on the War Zone:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...73&page=1&pp=15

Which has done WONDERS for my own anxiety and depression. In case it helps.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-19, 11:19

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Same opinion here about exercise. I hurt both knees a couple years ago & am finally able to walk without pain. So not much exercise (except PT), but I've still lost weight. It's the food that's important.

It's also the food, as well as sunlight, for the anxiety & depression - I deal with both. My SunTouchPlus is a lifesaver in winter!

I'm not very social either, but I have a temporary job (Census) that has me out talking with people & calling on the phone. So far, my anxiety hasn't gotten out of control, but I do have to address it with self-talk & making sure I don't mistake the stomach pain for for hunger - which has happened before.

Good luck with your journey!