Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 09:27
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 250/215/180 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Any good recipe for chicken livers?

I've been frying chicken livers with bacon or breakfast sausage, then covering it with shredded cheese. It doesn't taste that great, but it is edible.
Anyone have any recipes for chicken liver?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 11:06

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I am very fond of chicken livers, and have collected quite a few recipes over the years. Looking through them now I see that they are mostly the same, just with different seasonings :-). Bacon, onions, and garlic are always good, but personally I would leave off the cheese. While I like cheese with many things it doesn't fit well with liver, to my taste.
Basic recipe, for 2 servings: Heat some bacon fat (or butter) in a heavy pan. Saute 3/4 lb chicken livers (in bite sized pieces), 2 tsp minced fresh sage for 4-5 minutes over med high heat, adding 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced, towards the end. Cook till browned on the outside but still slightly pink inside. Season with pepper; remove from pan and keep warm. Deglaze the pan with a splash of Marsala, and cook down by about half. Pour over the livers, and sprinkle with parsley. Change out the herbs as you like. Use red wine instead of Marsala, or a splash of brandy, or broth of some sort if you don't want the alcohol. I would probably serve this with some sautéed onions, and a strip or two of bacon.
Check out the web for recipes for pate. They are easily made, with a food processor, and delicious!

ETA: Cream in the sauce is nice. And mushrooms pair very well with livers.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 12:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I once added ground chicken livers to chili and thought it tasted amazing. It was like 1/4 of the meat in the pot.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-19, 10:06
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Oven-Fried Chicken Livers

I love them. This is how I've been making them the past 10 years on low-carb: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2018/...chicken-livers/

INGREDIENTS:

5 oz. raw chicken livers

½ c. homemade mayo

4 oz. plain pork rinds, crushed fine

1/4 tsp. spice blend of your choice (I used my Cajun Seafood Spice blend)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 425º. Place chicken livers on paper toweling and pat them with more paper towels to get as much moisture off as you can. Cut the really large ones in half for more even cooking. Pour mayo onto a paper plate. Place crushed rinds and spices onto a second paper plate and stir well. Dip livers into the mayo to coat both sides, then drop into crushed rinds. I curl the paper plate to facilitate rolling the rinds up over the tops of the livers. Place coated livers onto a non-stick sided cookie sheet. Pop into 425º oven for 10 minutes. Turn gently with tongs and cook an additional 10 minutes. They should be done in 20 minutes and browned nicely on both sides. Enjoy quickly so they will still be crispy! Serve with your favorite sides.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 3 servings, each contains:

526 cals, 43g fat, .53g carbs, .03g fiber, 0.5 NET CARBS, 32.5 g protein
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-19, 13:58

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
I love them. This is how I've been making them the past 10 years on low-carb: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2018/...chicken-livers/

INGREDIENTS:

5 oz. raw chicken livers

½ c. homemade mayo

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 425º. Place chicken livers on paper toweling and pat them with more paper towels to get as much moisture off as you can. Cut the really large ones in half for more even cooking. Pour mayo onto a paper plate. Place crushed rinds and spices onto a second paper plate and stir well. Dip livers into the mayo to coat both sides, then drop into crushed rinds. I curl the paper plate to facilitate rolling the rinds up over the tops of the livers. Place coated livers onto a non-stick sided cookie sheet. Pop into 425º oven for 10 minutes. Turn gently with tongs and cook an additional 10 minutes. They should be done in 20 minutes and browned nicely on both sides. Enjoy quickly so they will still be crispy! Serve with your favorite sides.

Hi Peggy, Thanks for posting this, it looks so good!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-19, 16:24

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Thanks Peggy, those look delicious!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-19, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 250/215/180 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 50%

Here is a suggestion to that recipe.
Crush the pork rinds in the bag they come in. The bag I bought yesterday was 3 ounces, it's enough for 2 servings of liver. After you crush them, add your seasoning. Put a couple of livers in the bag and shake. Remove the livers and repeat.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-19, 11:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

As Verbena suggested, I first got into chicken livers by making an easy pate...add enough butter and wine and anything tastes amazing. https://balancedbites.com/content/e...ken-liver-pate/
The DietDoctor version uses less wine and adds a T of tomato paste. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/...te-thyme-butter
This way can use up a pound of them, store in the fridge, and spread on veggies or a side to eggs as wanted.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 11:19

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni

INGREDIENTS:

5 oz. raw chicken livers

½ c. homemade mayo

I've never tried chicken liver but just saw that the grocery store sells a tub of them for like $2, and I want to add more organ meats so I'm going to give this recipe a try, thanks!