Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Fri, May-13-16, 08:44

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I did not experience cold when fasting, and have not been THAT successful with it, however I find that the times I'm engaged in physical activity are the times that fasting is easiest. I can almost feel my body switch into a lower gear and summon the fuel from another source - stored body fat.

I agree with others to try other schedules for fasting - maybe start with every other day fasts, then switch to longer fasts and longer intervals of eating? I'm looking forward to Dr Fung's new book to lay out different options and what to expect with each variation.
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Fri, May-13-16, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 265/165/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'm doing too much, too fast. Wouldn't be the first time, lol. Have gone 3 full days now, with no energy loss or problems except being very cold...not just hands and feet, my whole body is chilled. I will eat both days this weekend, and maybe try to stick with a couple 36 hour fasts next week.
  #228   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 13:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/225/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Cold While Fasting

I am just starting the long distance program with Dr Fung's IDM group. I did see a question posted on being cold while fasting with Dr Fung's response.

The patient's question:
"I have been doing a 22 hr fast 5 days a week since the last 2 months or so. My last meal was at 6pm yesterday evening. Even at this moment, I’m feeling freezing cold. And my hands and feet are like ice. The only time the cold feeling goes away is if I go for a walk in the sun."

Dr. Fung's Response:
"You may need to change strategies slightly, as your metabolism may be slowing significantly. This used to happen to me too. I added back some days of eating lots of high fat foods (butter, cream, nuts, avocado) to give my body some calories to burn. The weight loss was not as effective, but I felt better."
  #229   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 19:39
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks. I added a couple tablespoons of coconut oil today when I started to feel chilled, and it definitely helped. I'm just hoping it won't stall the weight loss. I'll see how it goes this week. Decided to fast Sun evening until Wed morning, eat all day Wed, and perhaps fast again until Friday. We'll see how it goes. I often wake up feeling really drained in the morning, but after I drink broth and take some sodium, I feel fine.
  #230   ^
Old Wed, May-18-16, 05:07

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thanks for the updates and insights Lauri! You have an interesting observation about morning feelings. My feeling in the mornings is often the opposite. Has this changed for you or is it normal? I do hear that sodium is a good for when your feeling crummy . That might he helping.
  #231   ^
Old Wed, May-18-16, 20:19
Registered Member

BF:

Sigh. Weighed this morning after fasting with 2 days...but both days I had to add CO to help with the chills. And...no weight loss. Even though I only had a couple hundred calories both days. Yesterday was hard...kept feeling tired and cold. I ate today, but don't feel ready to fast tomorrow. Still didn't feel quite normal today. Maybe it was just a little too stressful to do these fasts so quickly after last week. So, I think I will eat again tomorrow, and plan on fasting Friday. I don't want to mess up my metabolism (any more...after so many years of dieting!), which is why I added the CO, but I also don't want to fast and not lose anything. Bleh.
  #232   ^
Old Thu, May-19-16, 00:54
I’m Delicious

Plan: It's a secret..shhh
Stats: 256/186/160 Female 5'7
BF:Beef Flavored?
Progress: 73%

I have become cold during extended fasts
My last fast was 7 days, water and herbal tea only
I drink hot tea when cold and put on another layer of clothing
Or I take a long hot shower and scrub my skin with a boar bristle brush
Which really gets my circulation going
I don't ingest calories while fasting though
It breaks your fast and makes weight loss very hard, for me anyway
I've been doing extended fasting for just under 2 months and have lost 26#
But I'm taking a break now on extended fasting
I practice 23:1 IF daily with one meal, I e been doing that for 4 months
  #233   ^
Old Thu, May-19-16, 05:36

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriSinge
Sigh. Weighed this morning after fasting with 2 days...but both days I had to add CO to help with the chills. And...no weight loss. Even though I only had a couple hundred calories both days. Yesterday was hard...kept feeling tired and cold. I ate today, but don't feel ready to fast tomorrow. Still didn't feel quite normal today. Maybe it was just a little too stressful to do these fasts so quickly after last week. So, I think I will eat again tomorrow, and plan on fasting Friday. I don't want to mess up my metabolism (any more...after so many years of dieting!), which is why I added the CO, but I also don't want to fast and not lose anything. Bleh.

People can experience stalls right in the middle of extended water fasts, with no modifications. It's pretty much impossible for your metabolism to slow down to the point where a couple of hundred added calories as fat prevents weight loss--so if it helps with the chills, personally I'd just go with it. Trust how you feel, trust the math--with a slighter calorie deficit of 500 calories or so, like the mainstream advocates, there's no reason to trust the math, because that's within the body's ability to slow down/encourage less exercise, but if you get down to 200 calories and don't feel deprived/cold, etc.--at that point you can trust the math when it comes to calories, you just can't trust the scale.

The stress is a legitimate concern, I think we can wipe out the good effect of just about any fast with a bit of post-fasting stressed eating. But I wonder if it can be a self-perpetuating thing--stress can be a stumbling block, and stress over whether you're giving your body too much to handle is itself a bit stressful.
  #234   ^
Old Thu, May-19-16, 07:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Fung's Capetown talk. It is on DietDoctor membership option, but audio now available as a podcast
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...n-lecture/26289
  #235   ^
Old Thu, May-19-16, 12:36
I’m Delicious

Plan: It's a secret..shhh
Stats: 256/186/160 Female 5'7
BF:Beef Flavored?
Progress: 73%

Fasting for me is about a lot more than weight loss
I want things in my body to heal
And if I ingest calories while fasting
My body has to work on digesting them first
Rather than healing my ailments
It just stalls the process
But I recognize we all fast for different reasons
And we are all individuals
I'm just saying what works for me
  #236   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 03:02

To all on this Dr Jason Fung discussion, please read this important post from moderator Doreen from the IF thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...3&postcount=178

I support her decision to close that thread, as she notes, there are alternative places on this forum to record IF experiences other than basic 24/36 hour protocols in The Obesity Code book. Dr Fung offers a Distance Program for a ridiculously cheap price (compared to US healthcare ) should anyone wish to try IF protocol and need medical advice. Dr. Westman has the Adapt program on-line and a distance program after one visit to Heal Clinic. There are other doctors who can support efforts to reduce IR and diabetes medications who are now trained by the OMA.
Thanks for reading and abiding by her recommendations.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, May-20-16 at 07:56.
  #237   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 05:42

BF:

I can abide by that. Moderating a board is a wicked hard thing to do. I can help make it easier for them
  #238   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 07:36

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Thanks Janet for calling our attention to Doreen's post. This board has a long history of high standards, in large part due to the moderators gentle but firm guidance.
  #239   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 07:49

BF:

I believe this is the useful part of the comment from the moderator Doreen below. If you want to document fasting experiences longer than 36 hrs (do I have the hours exactly right?)

"...Thus .. seeking support, encouragement and/or promotion of prolonged fasting is consdered beyond the scope of this forum and such discussion is not appropriate here. We understand that some members may indeed be under medical supervision for such a regimen; if they want to document their experience it should be confined to the relative privacy of their journal."
  #240   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 08:05

Exactly the place for it.

And speaking of various IF timings, I follow a few other fasting proponents, like Brad Pilon and Bert Herring (Fast-5) Bert just sent an email about HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST INTERMITTENT FASTING REGIMEN or How's That Working For You?

He of course likes his own five hour window plan, but also gives more information about Biggest Loser trainer, Bob Harper and others. He suggests a "Fasting Day Equivalent" calculation that is helpful in choosing different protocols.

http://www.bertherring.com/how-to-c...fasting-regimen