Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 06:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seablue
Thanks bluesinger, for pointing me to this thread.

I've just completed three two day fasts (Friday evening to Sunday evening). I watched a series of video presentations by Dr Fung over at www.dietdoctor.com prior to beginning the fasts.

My fasting has been a very good experience in terms of self control, understanding my food triggers, exploring my reaction and attitude to 'suffering' and boosting my weight loss after hitting a plateau. I highly recommend it.

Autophagy, to me, seems to be the most compelling reason to fast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autophagy

Welcome to the fasting thread, SeaBlue Have you been following Dr. Hallberg's/Westman very LC diet as well since your intro? The combo is magic. As a cancer survivor, reading Taubes's GC,BC chapter on cancer, is why I ended up doing Dr. Westman's ketogenic diet. Agree that the autophagy from fasting adds another bonus for me, and there was a general article in Forbes a few years back about fasting "resetting your immune system". http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevens...m/#21aa9c03337f

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Apr-18-16 at 06:55.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 07:16

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 360/340/220 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Welcome to the fasting thread, SeaBlue Have you been following Dr. Hallberg's/Westman very LC diet as well since your intro?

I have not looked into this. I will make the time to do so.

Since I started regularly fasting I've begun to relax some of my more restrictive practices. I have allowed myself a small bowl of raspberries and cream on occasion. :-D
  #168   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 07:20
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seablue
Since I started regularly fasting I've begun to relax some of my more restrictive practices. I have allowed myself a small bowl of raspberries and cream on occasion. :-D
Yes, rediscovering the joy of fresh blueberries! I had some a few days ago, and even without the cream they were such a lovely experience. Real food, real nourishment for the cells.
  #169   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 00:20

Plan: IF(leangains)+Jason Fung
Stats: 189/163/150 Male 5'10''
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hey y'all! new to this forum!

I am hooked into IF, particularly the leangains version of Martin Berkhan's(16:8). This protocol fits perfectly with my lifestyle. I throw once a week 22-24 hours fasting as well. I have dropped about 25 lbs since January 17th, that awful day my doctor told me I was a full blown diabetic and went on to put me into dreaded Metformin 2 times a day. He told me it is a progressive disease and I will have to be on medication rest of my life. I was feeling so low and was searching for diabetes cure. I accidently ran into Dr Fung's IDM blogs. I read his blogs after blogs - it was a big eye opener. Now I am doing both LCHF + IF. My 3 months A1C result yesterday was 5.5% from 6.9% three months ago! Also, I never took the Metformin as prescribed by the doctor! Go figure!

Last edited by collegefan : Wed, Apr-20-16 at 00:38.
  #170   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 03:37

Welcome collegefan and Congrats on the turn around in health,
You have found a great forum , not just a long thread on fasting, but this sub-forum on diabetes, and all the other sub-forums here for over 15 years. Recipes, info on cholesterol, etc.
also look at DietDoctor, Dr Westman and Dr Hallberg's TEDTalk to understand why empowered patients are rejecting the "progressive disease" and meds to instead treat their diabetes with nutrition.
  #171   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 05:01

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

wtg collegefan. glad you are finding success!
  #172   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 18:37

#173   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 18:50
Doing My Best

An insightful review, not to mention .... well, she LOVES Dr. Fung.
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 19:21

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Jimmy Moore announced today that instead of Fasting Clarity that he and Dr Fung are expanding the book they are writing to include more in-depth material, illustrations and even recipes. They expect to have a FAQ chapter for all the questions that don't fit the more structured chapters. Refunds are going to be issued for pre-order of the Fasting Clarity book. Pre-orders for the new book Dr. Fung's Complete Guide to Fasting expected to start early May. Should come out in mid-October. They are looking for 3 to 4 sentence testimonies about personal experiences with fasting. Any part of experience. Can submit to livinlowcarbman~charter.net along with first name, last initial, home city and state. Testimonials are going to be used in margins to highlight the chapter discussions with real life application.

Best Regards to All of You!
Red
  #175   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-16, 00:31

Plan: IF(leangains)+Jason Fung
Stats: 189/163/150 Male 5'10''
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thanks guys! this forum is amazing, don't know how I didn't find it all this time.

Dr Fung and Dr Pompa! two amazing docs. Sorry if already posted.

https://youtu.be/8J9DfeOYBKs

Last edited by collegefan : Thu, Apr-21-16 at 00:40.
  #176   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 05:01

Dr Fung with another rant about the Diabetes Economy.

Quote:
T2D, at its very core, is a disease about too much sugar in the body, not just the blood. Yet most of our drugs, from metformin to insulin do not rid the body of that sugar. It only drives it from the blood and into the body. But if this sugar is toxic in the blood, why would it not be toxic inside the body?

We are only moving the sugar from somewhere we can see it (the blood) to somewhere we cannot (the body) and then pretending things are improved, but all the while knowing that we have not made a difference. Where lifestyle changes clearly improves health, drugs just as clearly do not.

Screening only leads to better outcomes if there is rational treatment. Since our treatment of pre-diabetes consists of ineffective drugs, early diagnosis is futile. But this inconvenient fact hardly matters to the big pharmaceuticals and their minions. As long as they controlled the diabetes associations, there was cash to be made.

This largely explains the reluctance of the world’s Diabetes Associations and endocrinologists to acknowledge the devastating truth – that insulin just doesn’t help patients over the long term. With so much cash on the table, who do you think funds all the research in the universities, pays for all the private school tuition, sponsors all the ‘diabetes’ events? Big Insulin. But the pied piper must be paid. The currency of repayment is blindness, organ failure, amputations, and death.

https://intensivedietarymanagement....es-economy-t2d/
  #177   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 08:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Janet, I have two nephews, both in their mid to late 20's, who were DXed within days of each other with T1D, when they were pre-teens.

They've followed, to the letter, the ADA recommendations ever since.

Both of them are highly intelligent young men. The older of the two has a wife and a baby. And, without even squinting, I see pain and suffering that are not necessary for both of them, and early loss of men that they love for all who care for them.

I absolutely, from a visceral POV, understand Dr Fung's fury.
  #178   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-16, 08:58

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

I am a bit confused about metformin. I take 500 mg daily and my last A1C was 5.5 down from 5.9 after taking the metformin for almost a year now. Lately I have been staying on plan strictly and will come off the met eventually but it does appear it helps me??
  #179   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 13:18
Doing My Best

Poor Dr. Fung! How NOT to write a diet book. Aren't we glad he wrote it anyway.
  #180   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-16, 14:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanM
I am a bit confused about metformin. I take 500 mg daily and my last A1C was 5.5 down from 5.9 after taking the metformin for almost a year now. Lately I have been staying on plan strictly and will come off the met eventually but it does appear it helps me??

Is your doctor wanting you off it? My understanding is that it does not have much risk of causing a hypo, unless combined with some other glucose lowering medication. If you look at how type II diabetes normally develops, very often insulin will be elevated long before blood glucose is--you can have a perfect blood glucose, a great A1C, but still have insulin levels that are higher than ideal--so maybe there would still be a benefit to taking metformin, even if blood glucose is behaving. Of course this is a doctor thing, not a some guy on the internet thing.