Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-08, 17:41

Plan: Seven Deadly Sins (Paleo)
Stats: 155/110/110 Female 166cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

It sticks together a lot (probably a bit too much) and it is very crunchy (as I don't crush the pecans to a powder, but very small pieces instead - it still gets even crunchier as I cook it) and the fruit makes it sweet enough.. I have no need for any sweetener what so ever.. if I added anything else, it'll be too sweet.

Even my non-paleo friends love it (the only variation is that they have it with whipped cream too).
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 08:51

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

Here was my crumble right out of the oven:

And served up:

My filling was canned apricots and frozen raspberries with about 1/2 tsp of arrowroot powder sprinkled on to help it make a syrup. The topping was 1/4 cup prunes, 1/2 cup almond flour, and 1 cup walnuts with a little of the juice from the apricots to make it more moist. Also a few drops of stevia. Baked at 350 for 30 min.

I thought it was absolutely delicious! My husband said it wasn't quite sweet enough to satisfy his sweet tooth, so he added a little bit of honey to his. Crazy man. We had some leftovers and I ate them for breakfast today.
  #108   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 09:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Looks delicious!

Yeah, the sugars from the fruit would probably make the topping crunchy.
  #109   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 10:35
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:

Oh my, that looks wonderful! I'm going to jump on the crumble bandwagon and try it, maybe without the prunes 'cause I don't feel like running out to get some. Bet it makes the house smell good while baking, huh?
  #110   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 10:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm making this duck with some small modifications. Not entirely paleo but close.
  #111   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 10:37

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

lcstudent, I bet it would work with any kind of dried fruit.
  #112   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 20:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm making this duck with some small modifications. Not entirely paleo but close.

Not close enough for me - but sounded nice. Seeing how I can modify it... 6 of the 7 ingredients are not paleo enough for me... 3 are easy enough for me to change without really changing the flavour, the other 3 however...
  #113   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 20:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
lcstudent, I bet it would work with any kind of dried fruit.

Yep. I have bought a heap of different dried fruits to try. I am thinking the dried apricot will go nicely (maybe mixed with a bit of coconut too).
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 20:58
LCing for health!

BF:

I ended up doing it without in the topping, kallyn. The crumble was delish! Used 2 diced oranges and a lemon, sprinkled with xanthan gum and erythritol. Without the lemons, the erythritol in the filling wouldn't have been necessary. Topping was 1/4c ground golden flax, 1/2c almond flour, 1c chopped pecans, 1/4c erythritol, 2t cinnamon, 2T orange/lemon zest mix, 2t allspice, some liquid stevia, 1t blackstrap molasses, and an egg white. I ate a large serving, but don't feel that guilty about it since the girlfriends had Dairy Queen.

You were right, centaof--the fruit makes it plenty sweet without sweetener, and my parents wanted it with whipped cream!
  #115   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-08, 21:46

Plan: Now Dr. Bernsteins
Stats: 210/201/190 Female 71.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%
Smile Sesame Boky Choy with clam and pork chop with Joy of Cooking spice rub

The sesame bok choy dish used for dinners and lunch sides this week was made with sesame oil reducing the bok choy for 10 minutes and toasting black and gold sesame seeds off to the side, then add in sesame seeds and a can of clams or oysters to step in for the "oyster sauce" called for by another recipe

The pork chop gets the good stuff from the spice rub in Joy of cooking fennel and mustard seeds sauted thenground and rubbbed essentially.

While noodling on the web looking for more recipes tonight (thanks for the stufing idea with no bread btw)

I found this awesome web site that took an epicurious.com recipe and broke down the nutritional information, showed glycemic load and inflammation load. Awesome.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

So I'll have to get the fennel stuffing to stuff pork chops into that interface and see how it turns out information wise.

Folks, All the pictures look great. *drool*
  #116   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 15:26
LCing for health!

BF:

Ideas for chicken drumsticks? Maybe a low carb shake n' bake type coating with almond flour and spices? They were the cheapest organic chicken and I don't know how to cook 'em! TIA.
  #117   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 02:23

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5´7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstudent
Ideas for chicken drumsticks? Maybe a low carb shake n' bake type coating with almond flour and spices? They were the cheapest organic chicken and I don't know how to cook 'em! TIA.

I haven't experimented with low carb shake-and-bake coatings yet. What I do is wrap them in strips of bacon before I bake them. This adds an extra flavor plus crispy bacon when they are done.
  #118   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 02:27

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5´7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Here is my meatball experiment. Normally, I make meatballs with onions, bread crumbs, milk, and eggs. I need to have some filler in meatballs and meat patties - otherwise I find them too tough. So I substituted bread crumbs and milk with grated zucchini. They gave a lot of liquid which I added to the ground meat. The meatballs came out very tender. Another time I made them with grated turnip. But maybe turnip is too carby for some. The kind they sell where I live is neither sweet nor starchy, so it doesn't trigger me, and I can eat it in relatively small quantities.
  #119   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 03:14

Plan: Paleo(mostly)
Stats: 205/173/165 Male 73 in
BF:28/17/13 approx
Progress: 80%

Since I've finally registered (why did I wait again?) thought I'd chime in!

The other night I made meatballs too, following this recipie from "Paleo Cookbook":

Zucchini Balls

Ingredients
285g grated zucchini, ends removed
285g minced beef
1 onion, finely chopped
2 eggs
1tbs fresh dill, finely chopped
1 1/3 cup almond meal
1tsp salt
Dash pepper

Line a sheet with parchment paper or foil, I usually shape about 6-10 of them depending if they're for snacking or meals. 350f for 30-40 mins.

These come out really nice. Extremely filling and calorie dense, they are great to pack for lunches. Meals like these really make it simple to stick with Paleo eating for me. Quick, tasty, satisfying.

Forgot to mention, thanks to everyone here for the food ideas! I've used a bunch of recipes from this paleo forum to get my low carb plan going, and most have been excellent. I guess it doesn't hurt that I love steak.

Last edited by selfmyth : Sat, Apr-19-08 at 03:58.
  #120   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-08, 03:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 262/174.2/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%