Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Sat, Aug-01-09, 04:25

Plan: Gluten free-Somersize
Stats: 154/130/120 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I typed out a big long reply earlier but must have forgotten to post it... figures, lol.
Anyways... all of the books have some 'normal people' recipes in them, lol, you should try to check them out of the library and copy down the ones that appeal to you. The two contest cookbooks (if you can find them) have great recipes and tons of success stories to help keep you motivated. If you Google 'Somersize recipes' you'll find links to sites where people have posted their own legal recipes which are usually easier to reproduce at home.
Once you've been cooking on plan for awhile you'll be amazed at how easy it is to change almost any recipe into a legal one. Omit some ingredients, substitute others and your ready to go!
I have a sugar free, fat free carbo cookie recipe I can post if anyone would like it. I made them all the time until I realized I had Celiac's. They were great for an on the go breakfast or dessert. I'm working on a pro/fats cookie right now, when I have it perfected I'll post that, too!
Good luck everyone and I do hope those of you who are considering this plan decide to give it a go. It's worth it!
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sat, Aug-01-09, 16:08

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenJr
I typed out a big long reply earlier but must have forgotten to post it... figures, lol.
Anyways... all of the books have some 'normal people' recipes in them, lol, you should try to check them out of the library and copy down the ones that appeal to you. The two contest cookbooks (if you can find them) have great recipes and tons of success stories to help keep you motivated. If you Google 'Somersize recipes' you'll find links to sites where people have posted their own legal recipes which are usually easier to reproduce at home.
Once you've been cooking on plan for awhile you'll be amazed at how easy it is to change almost any recipe into a legal one. Omit some ingredients, substitute others and your ready to go!
I have a sugar free, fat free carbo cookie recipe I can post if anyone would like it. I made them all the time until I realized I had Celiac's. They were great for an on the go breakfast or dessert. I'm working on a pro/fats cookie right now, when I have it perfected I'll post that, too!
Good luck everyone and I do hope those of you who are considering this plan decide to give it a go. It's worth it!

I would definitely be interested in the sugar free cookie recipe...thanks!

TJ
  #153   ^
Old Sat, Aug-01-09, 16:11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by armynavyx3
Has anyone tried Atkins and Somersizing? What are your thoughts on the two? I keep trying to decide what plan to follow. Right now I am doing Somers with an 11 pound weight loss in 5 weeks.

Debbie

I've tried Sommers plan before and enjoyed it but found following the rules at the time confusing... I, however, enjoyed being able to combine low carb with more complex carbs if I choose too! I use some of her principles when eating higher carb, limiting my fats...although I just realized that it is a Sommer's type plan recently. I enjoy it better than ATkins because I prefer higher carbs which help with depressive symptoms!

Congrats on yoru weight loss too!

TJ
  #154   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 06:32

BF:
Cool C is for cookie!

Here it is! I think/thought these were delicious! If only I could figure out a way to make them gluten free... someday, lol.
They sell Walden Farms marshmallow fluff at Meijers here in MI. I'm not sure what other stores carry it or if there are other brands available that are sugar free, fat free.
Hope you like these as much as I did!!

3 servings
1C Non Fat Dry Milk
3/4C Old Fashioned Oats
3 TBS Sugar Free Marshmallow Fluff
3/4 tsp Cinnamon
3/4 tsp Nutmeg
12 TBS Favorite sugar substitute
9TBS Water

6 servings
2C Non Fat Dry Milk
1 1/2C Old Fashioned Oats
6 TBS Sugar Free Marshmallow Fluff
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1C and 8 TBS Favorite sugar substitute
1C and 2 TBS Water

12 servings
4C Non Fat Dry Milk
3C Old Fashioned Oats
12 TBS(whole jar if using Walden Farms) Sugar Free Marshmallow Fluff
3 tsp Cinnamon
3 tsp Nutmeg
3C Favorite sugar substitute
2C and 4 TBS Water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Mix well. If only making 3 servings you can make one large cookie in a pie pan sprayed with your favorite fat free extra virgin olive oil spray. For larger servings drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets covered with tin foil and sprayed with your favorite fat free extra virgin olive oil spray. Bake 10-12 minutes, longer if cookies still look doughy.

I LOVE cinnamon so I always add a little extra to the mix. I also usually add a cup or two extra oats when I'm making individual cookies so they're not as runny. Feel free to taste the dough and add more of whatever you'd like. No salmonella here!! I've also made these with shredded wheat when I was out of oatmeal. They tasted like Life cereal!!
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 18:42

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenJr
Here it is! I think/thought these were delicious! If only I could figure out a way to make them gluten free... someday, lol.
They sell Walden Farms marshmallow fluff at Meijers here in MI. I'm not sure what other stores carry it or if there are other brands available that are sugar free, fat free.
Hope you like these as much as I did!!

3 servings
1C Non Fat Dry Milk
3/4C Old Fashioned Oats
3 TBS Sugar Free Marshmallow Fluff
3/4 tsp Cinnamon
3/4 tsp Nutmeg
12 TBS Favorite sugar substitute
9TBS Water

6 servings
2C Non Fat Dry Milk
1 1/2C Old Fashioned Oats
6 TBS Sugar Free Marshmallow Fluff
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1C and 8 TBS Favorite sugar substitute
1C and 2 TBS Water

12 servings
4C Non Fat Dry Milk
3C Old Fashioned Oats
12 TBS(whole jar if using Walden Farms) Sugar Free Marshmallow Fluff
3 tsp Cinnamon
3 tsp Nutmeg
3C Favorite sugar substitute
2C and 4 TBS Water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Mix well. If only making 3 servings you can make one large cookie in a pie pan sprayed with your favorite fat free extra virgin olive oil spray. For larger servings drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets covered with tin foil and sprayed with your favorite fat free extra virgin olive oil spray. Bake 10-12 minutes, longer if cookies still look doughy.

I LOVE cinnamon so I always add a little extra to the mix. I also usually add a cup or two extra oats when I'm making individual cookies so they're not as runny. Feel free to taste the dough and add more of whatever you'd like. No salmonella here!! I've also made these with shredded wheat when I was out of oatmeal. They tasted like Life cereal!!

Thanks so much for the recipe, I'll definitely give it a try!

Regarding gluten free...Judy just gave me this link http://www.glutenfreeoats.com/ which I'm going to order this week so this recipe is right on time!

TJ
  #156   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 19:40

BF:

Oh wow! I'll have to see if I can find that stuff here in town! I would LOVE to be able to eat those cookies again! Thanks for letting me in on it!
  #157   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 20:23

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 189.5/175.5/125 Female 60 inch
BF:
Progress: 22%

How many carbs do you all find you eat a day? That is the one area I find that I stress about. The food combining is some times a pain. I want to low carb it, but feel somewhat restricted. Does anyone do a successful modified low card eating plan (notice I didn't say diet ) I am seriously reducing carbs but, I have to have a sugar free/fat free Jello pudding at night. I know it sounds dumb but when you go from about 1000 carbs a day down to 30 or so it is a big change. Any help, tips or pointers with carbs count etc would be greatly appreciated.

Debbie 6 weeks and counting!
  #158   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 20:31

BF:

[QUOTE=ChickenJr]one. Omit some ingredients, substitute others and your ready to go!
I have a sugar free, fat free carbo cookie recipe I can post if anyone would like it.

I saw the recipe and noticed it had oats in it. Is that okay on Low Carb/SS. I am new to this and have not had any bread/grains for about 6weeks. I have lost 11 pounds but, feel like it should be more in the beginning than it is. I wonder if my "Starbucks" creation is still too many carbs. My daughter is a manager and I asked her to concoct something with low carbs. THis is what I am drinking. It does have 4 carbs in addition to the milk you choose and it does have a bit of sugar but, compared to what I was eating it is a scant amount and gets me by. Here is what I am drinking when I need a fix.

Tall, Iced, Decaf Latte, 1 sweet n Low, 1/2 pump mocha w/non fat milk. I call this the funky foods but again I have made other dietary changes and I refuse to make life all about the food I can't have and more about making sensible changes.
  #159   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 20:33

BF:

Another Low Carbing question. I know there is debate over artificial sweeteners and for my decaf iced tea I like sweet n low. I was just wondering if anyone eats SF Jello or SF FF Pudding and if so how often and what type of milk do you use in it???

Debbie
  #160   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-09, 22:56

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Hi Debbie, I somersized yrs ago, did great, but I stuck to only the low carbie way, I didn't eat the fruit or carb meals.
So that why I have went over to Atkins. But any way, I still eat the Sf stuff, the jello and puddings and did and still do use sweet n low.
When I was somersizing, I lost 40 lbs, and got down to 118. But i gained back all and more, so it is wise to find a woe you can call a healthy diet and stick to it forever, your health will thank you.
I still have all of the Suzanne Somers books. yrs ago there was a live chat room, I loved it, and then they got rid of it, and the supposrt went down the toilet. I was on my own, and I quit, didn't know better, but sure do now....

Well keep doing what your doing and you wil be fine Debbie,,, I am a Debbie too
  #161   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-09, 14:22

BF:

I never really keep track of how many carbs I eat in a day(one of the reasons I LOVE this plan is I don't have to) and since I've had to go gluten free I eat a lot less carbo meals than I did in the begining. A typical day goes about like this:
B- Fruit, wait an hour, pro/fats
L- Pro/fats
Snack- Fruit
D- Pro/fats

Befor I went gluten free:
B- Fruit, wait 20 mins, carbo
L- Pro/fats
Snack- Fruit
D- Carbo or pro/fats, depends on what I felt like cooking

I would substitute the sf pudding for a homemade mousse. The starches in the pudding make it a funky food even though it's sugar free.
I don't have the exact recipe in front of me but all you need is:
Heavy whipping cream
Whatever sweetener you prefer(to taste)
Flavoring, strawberry extract is delicious!(to taste)

Combine ingredients in a large bowl, whip like crazy with a hand mixer till it's the consistency of whip cream and enjoy. This is a pro/fats dessert so you'll cut even more carbs.

The oats in the cookies are fine as long as your eating them as a carbo meal. They are NOT low carb and are not meant to be. I wouldn't reccomend the cookies if you simply going low carb but they're great for Somersizing.

I'm not sure which book it is but theres are recipes for both a pro/fats coffe drink and a carbo coffe drink. If you could do without the mocha it sounds like your coffee drink is a carbo drink. Which would go great with my cookie recipe! If you could get ahold of some sugar free Torani or DaVinci syrup to use inplace of the mocha it should be completely legal.

As far as sweeteners go, I like Splenda and Stevia. I've found things with aspartame in them give me headaches, like sf Jello or diet sodas. But if I really want a diet Dr. Pepper I'll drink one and pop some Ibuprofin, lol.
I think the sweetener you use is really a personal choice. Some people have adverse reactions to all artifical sweeteners, some to a few and some to none. I think for the sake of this plan, as long as your not just using plain old sugar you should be fine.

I'll also warn you not to judge your results by what the scale says. My experience has been that I lose pant sizes BEFOR the numbers on the scale would budge. I was wearing a size three jeans but the scale said I weighed 142 lbs!! My 'high carb/exercise like crazy' trained brain saw that number and thought "My god, your fat!" but I would look in the mirror and KNOW I looked good! Think about how your clothes are fitting now, yes it may only be 11 lbs on the scale but it could be three pant sizes gone!! When I first started I didn't have a scale so I had to go by my pant size. Now I have a scale but hardly ever use it since it discourages me, lol, I should just get rid of it again!!

Hope this post made sense, lol (not so sure it did), and hope I helped some.
Good luck, all!
  #162   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-09, 05:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/190/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have been doing a combination of Weight wathcers and Somersizing and have lost seven pounds so far. I had plateaued for over a year and now that I am finally losing again I am really excited.
  #163   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 10:17

BF:

Thanks to all who posted! I still struggle with which is the better woe. Somersize, Atkins, Weight Watchers? I am such a carboholic that I won't even have a carbo meal. I am afraid if I ever add brown rice or wheat bread back in I won't lose weight at all. I have lot 14 pounds in 7 weeks. If I have just one thing that is a carb my weightloss either stalls or I go up a pound or two. I would appreciate any tips, suggestions etc that anyone here feels like sharing!! Thanks for the responses thus far!!!

Debbie
  #164   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-09, 15:16

Plan: keto
Stats: 230/218/150 Female 5'5"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 15%

I used to have the same problem Debbie, any carb would show a gain or stall, especially when I have had a decent amount of sodium intake. I try to watch my sodium now, and all carbs come from either fruit and veggies, or whole grain pasta,bread rice, which I limit to one meal a day max. I have been pretty successful. I know most people say we don't need to count calories, just carb intake, I personally don't agree with that at all. I try to stay between 1300-1500 calories a day.
  #165   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-09, 18:03

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Debbie, I feel and felt the same, I found Somersizing before Atkins. But I lost 40 lbs in 30 months. I was actully doing atkins and not knowing it. I never at the carbo meals. So all Protein veggie meals.
I quik Somersizing and gained back 59 lbs, not good.
I came to Atkins and yes sometimes fall off the wagon, but it is easy to get back to the real ......
I have cut calories and keeping my carbs down at 30, most of all of those ae good carbs.
I think it is best if you do Atkins if ou have a carb addict problem.
But it is all your choice