Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-20, 09:59

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Olive Leaf Extract is supposed to be anti-viral.

I can't vouch for it as I never seem to get sick (I think it's the ketosis).

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-20, 11:23

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Where can you buy sugar free elderberry syrup? Is it something readily available at a pharmacy or Walgreens?
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-20, 14:28
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Off-topic posts heading into disallowed territory have been removed. Here's why. Pay attention to the following:
Quote:
The open and civilized sharing of ideas is welcome, however our primary mission at Active Low-Carber is to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere in which to discuss topics related to healthy low-carbing. Therefore, debates and discussion about politics, religion, war, population control, racial issues, eugenics, abortion, sexual orientation, evolution vs. creationism and similarly divisive topics are not permitted. Any posts or threads discussing such matters will be removed without further explanation. Members who persist in this line of discussion will have their posting privileges suspended.

Please stick to the original topic. Thank you.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-20, 16:00

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangle
Where can you buy sugar free elderberry syrup? Is it something readily available at a pharmacy or Walgreens?

Walgreens sometimes carries it but when I looked it up it said they were out of stock in stores right now. Considering the panicking going on that isn't surprising.

I order mine from Amazon. Nature's Way Sambucus sugar free. It's cheaper when ordered through subscribe and save and since I have so many mouths taking it, it gets used. We haven't gotten sick since we started taking it, but that could just be coincidence. I also take vit C.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-20, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 236/217/185 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

#21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 03:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfinished

My translation of:

Quote:
Will hyperglycaemia and/or hyperinsulinaemia facilitate viral directed anabolism under infection by another, more topical novel human RNA virus?

is that high blood sugar encourages cells to be more susceptible to viruses?

Because I love that blog but I need a translator

Like another post says:

Quote:
Deranged glucose metabolism appears to be what causes the problems in diabetes, type 1 or 2. More on this when I get back to the chronic hyperglycaemia post. It's not forgotten.

We don't want deranged glucose metabolism. So, we are on the right track with ketosis helping our immune system.

Also, found more papers about D3 and its help with the immune system, including an interesting one about why we call the darkest months "flu season."

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, Mar-08-20 at 03:46.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 07:51

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I do think Vitamin D3 with K2 is probably the best supplement, and keto, of course, the best diet.

Being older myself & husband being a lot older, I'm glad we started supplementing with D3 & K2 a while back. It's hard to get him to take hand washing seriously, so the supplementing might help.

Speaking of hand washing, I had to spend a few days at the local library handing out Census information. The table I was given happened to be near the bathroom where - unfortunately - I could hear everything. I noticed that a lot of the men didn't wash their hands. Most - tho not all - of the women washed their hands. Makes me very leery of shaking hands.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 10:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Speaking of hand washing, I had to spend a few days at the local library handing out Census information. The table I was given happened to be near the bathroom where - unfortunately - I could hear everything. I noticed that a lot of the men didn't wash their hands. Most - tho not all - of the women washed their hands. Makes me very leery of shaking hands.

One of the shocking things to come out of this emergency is just how few people do. If it helps, remember this is a two-step process: wash your hands and DON'T touch your face. That's how the germs can infest us.

I think handshaking is likely going to go out of fashion. I suggest the Vulcan greeting instead! May we all live long and prosper.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 21:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Is this what you were thinking of? Ketosis protects mice from flu: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/327186

Two different viruses so hard to say.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-20, 02:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Is this what you were thinking of? Ketosis protects mice from flu: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/327186

Two different viruses so hard to say.

Yes, I would say the general slant of the discussion is how ketosis supports proper immune system behavior.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-20, 08:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

I think some of the issue is that in older people the immune system activated too late and then it over reacts and is actually the thing that kills you.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...gs-are-inflamed
Quote:
But if the virus treks down the windpipe to the peripheral branches of the respiratory tree and lung tissue, it can trigger a more severe phase of the disease. That’s due to the pneumonia-causing damage inflicted directly by the virus plus secondary damage caused by the body’s immune response to the infection.

“Your body is immediately trying to repair the damage in the lung as soon as it’s happening,” Taubenberger said. Various white blood cells that consume pathogens and help heal damaged tissue act as first-responders. “Normally, if this goes well, you can clear up your infection in just a few days.”

In some more-severe coronavirus infections, the body’s effort to heal itself may be too robust, leading to the destruction of not just virus-infected cells, but healthy tissue, Taubenberger said. Damage to the epithelium lining the trachea and bronchi can result in the loss of protective mucus-producing cells as well as the tiny hairs, or cilia, that sweep dirt and respiratory secretions out of the lungs.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-20, 09:05

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Discussed handwashing when at a food pantry I was made to sanitize my hands. I was nearly irrate. The attemp at stopping contagion by handwashing was a joke. And here is why.

Many people packed into a small room to wait. Worker hands out numbers.Then people are ushered down a hall to select bread items, and a chsir...to wait another 30 minutes. We chat, catch up, etc. Then as called into room to sign, and drive around a shopping cart. Upon entering was when I was asked to use hand sanitizer. An ask that was an order. I was peeved. It was like closing the barn door after the horse had left the barn !

Ironically, the flu is a bigger risk and that folks have waited to this coronavirus to upped their hand washing and contact with other people just amazes me.

My teen shared that the students received tactical training: how to wash hands effectively. My son dailed miserably. His hands were covered with rust and corroded metal residue as he was prepping scrap metal for recyling (HVAC at tech HS).

Imho helping the body stay healthly enough to fight off this new coronavirus is key. My kids take D3 and K2 as well as mom and dad.

I cant help thinking our poor SAD diets and the multitute of diseases as the body starts to fail is the underlying factor for sucumming to coronavirues. Sure helped to see those graphs. Thanks for posting those.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 11:43

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I don't think hand washing is a bad thing, but I don't think it's a cure-all either.

I think the news is sensationalizing, but that's what the news does.

I think some people are over-reacting and others under-reacting.

Due to the fact that some people have no symptoms, others mild symptoms, and so many are not reported and counted it's impossible to know the true number of cases, and therefore the fatality estimate is probably high. How much? No one knows.

I also know that since some have no symptoms, it's impossible to know if that person who served you lunch, or checked you out at the grocery store, or used that doorknob before you, or hit that atm/elevator/debit card button, or whatever is today's equivalent of "Typhoid Mary".

Therefore it's safe to say, most of us are going to be exposed to this virus. Hopefully later rather than sooner because experience will teach the medical profession how to better care for this.

So washing your hands, keeping social distance, and doing what you can to delay your exposure to the virus is a good thing. And if someone else unknowingly with the virus is washes their hands before they touch the doorknob that you are going to touch, it's definitely worth the effort.

My wife and I are self-employed and due to cancellations we've both lost half a month's income due to this. That is our worst effect so far. But many have fared much worse so we are counting our blessings.

Data from the 1918 flu epidemic may be useful.

The people who had fewer effects and a greater survival rate had two things in common:

1) Open windows and lots of ventilation - hospitals with high ceilings and cross ventilation had much better than average survival rates

2) Outdoors. The hospital rooms were so full they set up tents outside and even put the patients in the sun during the warmest times of the day. These people had the least severe symptoms and the greatest survival rate.

#1 tells me indoor air (and air conditioning) is unhealthy and #2 tells me sunshine (Vitamin D) is beneficial.

This is supported by the cold (also a coronavirus) and flu season hits "up north" (I live in Florida) the worst and always comes in winter. Houses closed up to conserve heat and less UV rays for vitamin D production.

I think that's a logical assumption anyway.

Me? I'm going to be cautious, but neither freaked out nor nonchalant about it. I'm eating minimal carbs to stay in ketosis, I live with my house open anyway (don't use the AC), I go out each day a bit to get sunshine (walk 4 miles outdoors), and I'm avoiding huge crowded spaces (most concerts and theater have been cancelled anyway).

I generally only catch a mild cold every 15 years or so and I truly can't remember the last time I got the flu (1980s?). I think being keto, having trees around my house and living with the windows open is a healthy way to be.

Bob
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-20, 13:02

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I have a friend whose son is a qigong and tai chi teacher. My friend and her husband are both older (nearly 80) so considered in the high risk category though both are thin and fit (she plays tennis, they both exercise, etc). However her son has strongly urged them to self-isolate because of their age. He has a blog and she forwarded it to me, with his tips about the coronavirus:
https://flowingzen.com/21048/11-pra...he-coronavirus/

Most of his advice is pretty sensible and resonates with stuff important to us here: Keep you immune system healthy, take your vitamin C, D3, K2. Also get a kick out of his advice on taking supplements:
Quote:
5. Take supplements. Take anything that you feel boosts your immune system. Personally, I like to take high doses (1000mg 3x per day) of vitamin C because I’ve had experience with it working, and also because of promising ongoing research in this area (link, link, and link). But take whatever you like. Even if that supplement turns out to be a placebo, it can still help to protect you! Placebos can work even when you know that they are placebos! (link)

Also the basic, wash hands, don't shake hands, etc.

But since it's his area of expertise he also says to practice qigong daily. Not anything I know anything about, but he tells his story of how he started out just by vowing to do the qigong exercise called "Lifting the Sky" for a mere two minutes every morning, for 30 days. At the end of 30 days he felt so much better it compelled him to quit his job in IT and spend many of the next few years learning about qigong and tai chi.

So he has a post on the way to do Lifting the Sky. So in addition to my regular stuff I've added two minutes of Lifting the Sky to my morning routine.

Even as he said himself, even if it's just a placebo it can still help.

I'm definitely in ketosis too so we'll see what comes.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 05:43

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Sally Fallon Morell (Nourishing Traditions) has posted the following on her blog:
Quote:
How To Protect Yourself From Coronavirus (Or Any Virus)

https://nourishingtraditions.com/ho...s-or-any-virus/

Like any virus, coronavirus is no match for someone with a strong immune system. Here are ways you can bolster yours:

Vitamin A-rich foods: Vitamin A is our number one protection against viruses. So take your cod liver oil, one that contains natural vitamin A and eat liver about once a week.
Vitamin D: Vitamin D works with vitamin A to give us a strong immune system. Best sources are cod liver oil, egg yolks from pastured hens, butter from grass-fed cows, fish eggs and lard from pigs raised outdoors.
Coconut Oil: The coronavirus is a lipid-coated virus that pegs out in the presence of medium-chain triglycerides–and coconut oil is our best source of these healthy fats.
Gelatin-rich bone broth: Supports the immune system and helps us detoxify.
Vitamin C: Your best source is fermented veggies like sauerkraut–there is ten times more vitamin C in sauerkraut than in fresh cabbage!
Saturated Fats: Coronavirus has an affinity for the lungs, and the lungs can’t work without saturated fats, so eat plenty of butter and avoid all industrial fats and oils.
Raw Milk: Raw whole milk from pastured cows contains many compounds that strengthen the immune system.