Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Sat, Apr-11-20, 12:11

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I'm finally getting to this thread. Good information and discussion and links. BTW, I'm one of the folks who finally caved to the relentless NYT bargain subscription offers. I want those links to work!
Haha, yes I caved too. I would have probably done it years ago actually if the subscription also included the daily crossword (which I love) but it doesn't. However this time the deal was good so I finaly gave in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
As to immunity: last November, I had a long spell of respiratory illness. Three weeks or more of dry cough (at night), productive cough (the kind that makes your chest hurt!), extreme chest congestion. No fever. Finally got to the doc. She prescribed what sounds now like a very smart "cocktail" of medications: an immune-suppressant (corticosteroid?) injection to reduce mucus; anti-inflammatory pill; albuterol inhaler; cough suppressant; chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia. I don't think it was "the" virus. But it was seriously alarming for me at the time, as I'm the never-gets-sick type.

We are sticking to our house in a big way. Good to have online buddies!
Yes, sounds so similar to what I had last November/December too.I just got an inhaler and cough suppressant. Tested negative for whatever flu they test for. But I was so sick for such a long time. I was so depressed. I'm certainly not the "never get sick" type. I always get sick with colds, etc at least twice a year. But this was way worse that the average cold.

Yes, being able to communicate with folks online definitely makes self-isolating a lot less lonely. I'm here all alone except for the two cats and the dog. My DiL usually texts me a couple times a day, occasionally I get a call from my sisters. But being able to interact online with others is wonderful
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 09:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Paul Mason has just added a special Covid talk (alone, talking into his webcam with slides...many Many slides on many studies) on LC Down Under YouTube channel. This is a good summary of why insulin resistance, high BG, obesity etc. can cause more complications from virus, infections, ARDS, etc. Sciencey, but his slow, deliberate delivery is not difficult to understand.

How to Survive Coronavirus, the Role of Diet. Part 1. 32 minutes.

https://youtu.be/4lJPjsuftmQ
  #138   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 11:35

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Definitely easy to follow. Nice to see the studies presented to support low carb and why its effective.
  #139   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 23:51

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Protective Role of Vitamin D against Coronavirus: Scientific Review and Dose for Immunity

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/bl...-dose-immunity/
  #140   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 03:14

BF:

Dr Aseem Malhotra:

Covid 19 and the elephant in the room
https://www.europeanscientist.com/e...nt-in-the-room/

Quote:
Obesity and chronic metabolic disease is killing COVID -19 patients: now is the time to eat real food, protect the NHS and save lives.
  #141   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 04:37

Terrific that Dr Malhotra wrote an article based on his Sky News "elephant in the room" ...better to share than the video. More good studies to go with Dr Mason's list...and can add a new DD one too.

Obesity as a risk factor for coronavirus complications

https://www.dietdoctor.com/obesity-...s-complications
  #142   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 05:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Protective Role of Vitamin D against Coronavirus: Scientific Review and Dose for Immunity

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/bl...-dose-immunity/

I found a promising paper:

Evidence that Vitamin D Supplementation Could Reduce Risk of Influenza and COVID-19 Infections and Deaths

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/4/988/htm

For myself, there is no doubt: the way my body acted before and after I started D3/K2 supplementation was (hee hee) night and day.
  #143   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 05:58

Just sharing my latest test...82.5 in mid-February before taking a trip to sunnier climes. Other years it was near 100, but usually after a trip south. I take one 5,000 IU gel cap in the evening in the winter. None in the summer. I still believe that going low carb, and removing all PUFAs from diet, replaced with saturated fats and olive oil, was key to raising the level.
  #144   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 06:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Just sharing my latest test...82.5 in mid-February before taking a trip to sunnier climes. Other years it was near 100, but usually after a trip south. I take one 5,000 IU gel cap in the evening in the winter. None in the summer. I still believe that going low carb, and removing all PUFAs from diet, replaced with saturated fats and olive oil, was key to raising the level.

That makes so much sense! It is a fat soluble vitamin. I am sure eating good fats has an effect on other kinds of fat based vitamins.
  #145   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 06:11

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

I just received my latest D3 test result. It was 68. I take 10,000 iu every day. This result came as winter is waning. Living in Vermont where the winter sun is minimal and the need to cover up always present I figure I am doing well. Over the years I have tested between 42 (my first test in 2012) to 81 in 2016. I seem to average somewhere around 70. I take D3 all year round, 5000-10,000 iu daily. I have decided to just stick with 10,000 year round. I certainly have never gone extremely high no matter the season.
  #146   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 08:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I take a daily D3 (5,000 IUs) with heavy cream, butter, or fatty animal protein. I believe it's very beneficial in a number of ways and compensates when I can't get D from the sun. Given this evidence regarding viral protection (assuming bacterial infections as well), the combination of healthy fats and D seems like a good option. Though I've never had it tested, I'll now include this test replacing the blood lipids test annually with the 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D test. It's more meaningful for many reasons. Thanks for the information.
  #147   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 09:05

Ivor Cummins in a 20 minute update with Dr Malhotra about this new paper. https://thefatemperor.com/ep-71-dr-...ral-resilience/
  #148   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 11:13

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good video, very practical observations and advice. Here's the link to Malhotra's recently published paper:

https://www.europeanscientist.com/e...nt-in-the-room/
  #149   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 18:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default Can we Transform our Viral Resistance? ....Addressing Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome

Dr Aseem Malhotra published this article which focuses on the bottomline: our diet as the primary protector of our health.

When I spoke to a friend on Wednesday, not having seen her due the 6 ft rule, I discussed with her all the underlying health issues of the most affected by Covid 19 : obesity and those related diseases, and Vit D, and keto. At every turn , she pushed masks, the 6 foot rule and washing hands. Typical medical speek from an obese nurse. sigh

https://thefatemperor.com/ep-71-dr-...ral-resilience/

Fortunately Dr Aseem Malhotra has a practical view of how to stop viruses......

Quote:
But the elephant in the room is that the baseline general health in many western populations were already in a horrendous state to begin with. In the UK and USA more than 60% of adults are overweight or obese. How is this relevant to COVID-19?

OBESITY, THE REAL KILLER BEHIND COVID
It is well known in the medical literature that excess body fat induces immune dysregulation and chronic inflammation which is directly linked to the cytokine storm that is responsible for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome seen in influenza and other respiratory viruses. (4)

For example, in 2009 61% of patients admitted to hospital in California that died from H1N1 Influenza A were obese, which was 2.2 times more than the prevalence of obesity within the state population. Multivariate analysis suggested obesity was a novel risk factor for mortality from the virus. (5) Furthermore, obese adults shed influenza A virus 42% longer than non-obese individuals suggesting an additional role in transmission. (6)

see the link above for more

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Apr-18-20 at 18:33.
  #150   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 23:44

BF:

Take daily dose of vitamin D due to reduced sun exposure in lockdown, Public Health England (PHE) expected to announce

Experts believe vitamin D could also reduce an individual’s "susceptibility” to the coronavirus

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...osure-lockdown/