Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-20, 18:19

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I just watched the video of today's US press conference with Dr. Deborah Brix. She said, of those in the US with fever and symptoms, 86% of those tested are negative.

That's a 14% positive test rate

World average is 3% (UK 5% and Aus 0.9%)
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-20, 19:48

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

There is a lot of confusion out there, because this is something new. We have figured out other things that were similar and new, so we know the path to take, but not the steps.

There will be false positives and negatives. There will be failed attempts at cures and/or vaccines. However, eventually we'll get a handle on it.

Until then it's like living in a science-fiction movie.

I guess I'm lucky I've had all my gigs cancelled for 7 months. It keeps me at home where I'm in economic self-isolation.

The mortgage is paid off, and I have savings, because I've always done what the government doesn't do, I live below my means. I learned that from my parents. If you can't afford to pay for it now, don't buy it, with the exception of your house and car. For those two items, buy less than you can afford.

It seems that Vitamin D and K are helpful (but not a cure) as well as being in ketosis (not just low-carb). In the 1918 flu the patients who were either outdoors or in well-ventilated rooms did much better than the others. So if you can, turn off your AC and open the windows. Get some sunshine too. Warm, damp air seems to slow this bugger down.

Self isolation is good, and when you need to go to the store (not when you want to) carry disinfectant to make sure you don't bring something home. Make sure it's an approved disinfectant - with enough bleach or alcohol to do the job.

My DW went to the store today, wore some of my clothes over hers so she could strip them off outside before she came back in, brought a bottle of diluted bleach and a rag, and lowered the odds of bringing something nasty home (She also found a big bottle of alcohol, there were two, she bought one and left the other for someone else).

Follow the guidelines and stay healthy - hopefully until they find a cure.

Bob
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-20, 20:05

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
So if you can, turn off your AC and open the windows. Get some sunshine too. Warm, damp air seems to slow this bugger down.

It's little things like this that remind me how huge our country is. Right now we're still firing up the wood stove. Night-time temps are well below freezing & daytime temps are finally in the upper 30s. It got all the way up to 40 today! I have to go outside to take care off my feather & fur critters, so I get some sun, but it's not comfortable enough to just sit out there.

Staying home is great, but not with my husband underfoot every day, all day. Good thing it looks like I'm going back to work next week. It's a non-people job - I mostly get to drive around all day.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-20, 20:28

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Some unconventional thoughts on coronavirus (COVID-19) - Dr William Davis

https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2020...virus-covid-19/

thanks for this.

Just loaded up on yogurts, kombucha and buttermilk.

Now to impress upon my teens to dump bagels and pasta......link forwarded!!
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-20, 03:00

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
thanks for this.

Just loaded up on yogurts, kombucha and buttermilk.

Some further information you may find useful:

L. casei subspecies Shirota augments the immune response
https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2020...mmune-response/

I also regularly make his L. reuteri yogurt
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-20, 05:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Some further information you may find useful:

L. casei subspecies Shirota augments the immune response
https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2020...mmune-response/

I also regularly make his L. reuteri yogurt

With all the craziness , making yogurt has taken a back seat.

Will look for BioGaia. Not sure the potato starch in the pantry is raw, probably not.
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-20, 06:47

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
It's little things like this that remind me how huge our country is. Right now we're still firing up the wood stove. Night-time temps are well below freezing & daytime temps are finally in the upper 30s. It got all the way up to 40 today! I have to go outside to take care off my feather & fur critters, so I get some sun, but it's not comfortable enough to just sit out there.

Staying home is great, but not with my husband underfoot every day, all day. Good thing it looks like I'm going back to work next week. It's a non-people job - I mostly get to drive around all day.

Yes, I'm lucky to live in South Florida. It's summer here -- actually the dry season. Rain will come probably mid-May. The flora I planted in my half-acre in paradise are mostly native and long established species and definitely xeriscape vegetation.

We live without the AC. We both grew up here before AC was a standard feature in homes, almost nobody had it. We never got used to it. And since fresh air is healthier than AC air, we are less prone to sickness while we save money and lower our carbon footprint.

The windows are open, a gentle sea breeze is drifting through, and I'm listening to Cardinals, Blue Jays, Buntings, Woodpeckers, Mourning Doves and Mockingbirds singing to each other and it seems like they are singing to me.

My wife and I are lucky, 24/7/365 is not too much time to spend together - actually it's not enough. So the bright side of this economic self-isolation is that all the things that separate us from time to time are no longer an issue.

42 years of bliss -- and counting.

Bonnie and others going back to work, be careful and stay healthy.

Bob
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-20, 17:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Yes we can get it

Low carb/ keto for 3 years

Low grade fever for 2 days, fatigue for a week, then a runny nose, cough and breathlessness if I walk hard/fast. Fatigue continues if I have to concentrate or work mentally or physically. If I’m lying around reading, no problem.

Was exposed to a client at work, shook hands and talked up close a month ago, he developed intense symptoms the next day and tested positive.

We don’t test in my province unless you require hospitalization. So I can’t say difinitively, but am treating this like Covid, though. Near as I can tell, I’m in week 3.

Aside from that, nope, not a cold in 3 years.
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-20, 18:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ruby

Low grade fever for 2 days, fatigue for a week, then a runny nose, cough and breathlessness if I walk hard/fast. Fatigue continues if I have to concentrate or work mentally or physically. If I’m lying around reading, no problem.

Was exposed to a client at work, shook hands and talked up close a month ago, he developed intense symptoms the next day and tested positive.

We don’t test in my province unless you require hospitalization. So I can’t say difinitively, but am treating this like Covid, though. Near as I can tell, I’m in week 3.

Aside from that, nope, not a cold in 3 years.

Watched a little skit looking at how pathogens are passed. Bottom line was bahaviors and preventative measures by the one with a cold or flu was the key to stopping contagion.

Far more effective than any preventative measures.

This was a test/ trial run by MythBusters.
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-20, 03:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ruby

May it resolve soon, and I hope you have plenty of books Rest is the best thing now.

Yes, we can get it. I don't think we ever said otherwise. I just hope keto keeps us from getting it BAD.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-20, 06:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Finally, Dr David Ludwig addresses the Elephant in the Room in a NYT op-Ed.

Americans Are Already Too Diseased to Go Back to Work Right Now
The huge burden of obesity and other chronic conditions among people in the U.S. puts most of us at direct risk.

By David S. Ludwig and Richard Malley
Dr. Ludwig is a physician specializing in obesity and Dr. Malley is a physician specializing in infectious diseases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/...oronavirus.html

(Any Article in the NYT about coronavirus do not require a subscription at this time. )
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-20, 06:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

You did it, Janet. You made me break down and get a NYT account

Great article!
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-20, 07:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Here's a link to the same article without the NYT subscription requirement:
https://dnyuz.com/2020/03/30/americ...work-right-now/
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-20, 08:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Answer to the question of this thread...a definite maybe!

A cancer researcher new to me, on the "ketogenic diet for the prevention and treatment of cancer." At Low carb Denver on the Diet Dr. website. https://www.dietdoctor.com/denver20...ntations#harper

David Harper started his talk asking how many people on the ketogenic diet have noticed reduced colds and infections. He also asked how many felt like a cold was coming on only to wake up the next day and be fine again. He explains this in his 30 minute talk on cancer and how it may be that ketogenic diet may give us some protection against a coronavirus. So wrapping some speculation on coronavirus into his years of research on cancer was fascinating.
I have not had a cold in 10 years, and returned healthy (so far) from a month of packed planes, ferries, trains and a cruise ship through 5 crowded international airports.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-20, 12:46

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Almost all service companies are still working all over the country. I have a neighbor putting on a roof, another is having hvac replaced, another just had their driveway and walkway power washed. They are exempt and considered necessary.

It's the retail and hospitality businesses that are laid off and everything that goes with it.

All restaurants can do now is create pick-up booths, drive-thru, deliver themselves or contract with partner to deliver.