Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-11, 22:34

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%
Default Anyone here have cholesterol over 300?

My regular doctor's office called yesterday and wants to see me right away...my cholesterol is 317. I know the whole Cholesterol Con thing, and I mostly agree with it except that my father had cholesterol like this and he died of a heart attack at 56. I'm 58.

Anyone here with cholesterol over 300? I'd like to hear your input.

If your cholesterol isn't over 300...please...I have read A LOT on these boards and I know what everyone thinks. I just want to hear what someone in my circumstance has to say. TIA.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-11, 17:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Check out gregory_b's postings. He found T3 is helping his.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-11, 17:57

Thank you Nancy. I appreciate your post.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-11, 01:15
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Hello. I had a total cholesterol of 394 in December 2009. I too have found that I had a reverse T3 issue. I have been taking T3 since March and my cholesterol has dropped like a rock--it was 181 in my most recent test last month. Check out my new post in the sticky for more details.

--Melissa
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-11, 12:33

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Late to the party here, but I had total cholesterol of 295. It dropped to 196 in six weeks after I began taking Armour thyroid.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-11, 15:21

Stats: 155/125/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

I was tested in February, 6 weeks after beginning LC eating. My total cholesterol was around 358. I tested again recently and it's 301. I did the VAP testing which showed that my LDL/bad cholesterol was mostly the light, fluffy and harmless kind of cholesterol. My Trigs are 69, HDL is 80, I think? those numbers are AWESOME I read a lot on the subject before deciding *not* to take statins, and I'm ok with my higher cholesterol. I believe I read that if you have trigs under 100 that chances are your LDL cholesterol is mostly the harmless fluffy kind

I hope that helps! Don't panic - I also think you should have the thryoid testing just in case that's what making your #'s high. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-11, 09:25

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 188/176/166 Male 175
BF:
Progress:
Default ▓ why

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
Hello. I had a total cholesterol of 394 in December 2009. I too have found that I had a reverse T3 issue. I have been taking T3 since March and my cholesterol has dropped like a rock--it was 181 in my most recent test last month. Check out my new post in the sticky for more details.

--Melissa

Why T3 do you have hypothyroidism ?

best of luck

somebloke
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-11, 12:40
Absurdtive

Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebloke
Why T3 do you have hypothyroidism ?

best of luck

somebloke

Yes, I had a specific type of hypothyroidism called thyroid resistance. This is when the body has made a lot of Reverse T3 (the inactive form) rather than the active T3. If someone has low T4 or low thyroid overall, then natural dessicated thyroid (i.e. Armour, Naturethroid, etc) is a usually a better choice.

--Melissa
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-11, 19:53

BF:
Progress:
Default crazy cholesterol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
My regular doctor's office called yesterday and wants to see me right away...my cholesterol is 317. I know the whole Cholesterol Con thing, and I mostly agree with it except that my father had cholesterol like this and he died of a heart attack at 56. I'm 58.

Anyone here with cholesterol over 300? I'd like to hear your input.

If your cholesterol isn't over 300...please...I have read A LOT on these boards and I know what everyone thinks. I just want to hear what someone in my circumstance has to say. TIA.

gonwtwindo

check his link I have high cholesterol at the moment too .

what was your cholesterol previously ? and what changes have been made,

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=435760

best of luck

somebloke
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-11, 14:30

You know, I think I was on induction when I had that test done. My cholesterol has run at 274 (yes that specific, with occasional 5 pts lower) for 25 years.

Afterward, I switched from HWC to Almond milk in my coffee, and olive oil instead of butter. Haven't been retested but am going to ask for a new test on Monday. This is mainly because I have started taking MCT Oil, and it makes me feel SO MUCH BETTER, I want to take it forever...but googled "MCT Oil SIde Effects" and found it causes a 12% rise in cholesterol levels. !!!!!

I am on a half dose of Crestor, have been for a couple of months. So I'm curious to see the numbers I have now.

You are hypo thyroid, have you tried getting treatment for that? Many people say their Cholesterol goes down with that. I, however, am slightly hyperthyroid so that's not an option for me.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-11, 15:23

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Um, you are 'hyper' if you are over range in FT3, not by a TSH test. Just wanted to say.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-11, 20:49

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
You know, I think I was on induction when I had that test done. My cholesterol has run at 274 (yes that specific, with occasional 5 pts lower) for 25 years.

Afterward, I switched from HWC to Almond milk in my coffee, and olive oil instead of butter. Haven't been retested but am going to ask for a new test on Monday. This is mainly because I have started taking MCT Oil, and it makes me feel SO MUCH BETTER, I want to take it forever...but googled "MCT Oil SIde Effects" and found it causes a 12% rise in cholesterol levels. !!!!!

I am on a half dose of Crestor, have been for a couple of months. So I'm curious to see the numbers I have now.

You are hypo thyroid, have you tried getting treatment for that? Many people say their Cholesterol goes down with that. I, however, am slightly hyperthyroid so that's not an option for me.

I am on eltroxin (T4 )for hypothyroidism ,

MCT Oil may be depends how much you take...not sure as it works like a fast acting carb,

This is worth a read

Dr. Davis has a theory about why your labs may look this way.

he mentions 2 months to settle down but i have heard of cases where it took from 6 months to 1 year , I think it depends on how rapidly one is loosing weigh , it appears that during fast weight loss the choleserol goes a bit out of "whack"..when the fast weight loss settles , the cholesterol does too a couple of months after.

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog...eight-loss.html

Best of luck

somebloke
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-11, 07:39

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I had been lowcarbing for over a year when T3 (switched to Armour Thyroid) was introduced and my total cholesterol fell over 89 points!

I was 'MISdiagnosed' as hypER thyroid by a doctor using ONLY the TSH. Three times! They almost took my thyroid out, thank goodness I finally saw a thyroid doctor who was savvy enough to test Free T4, Free T3 and TPO AB...and NO TSH. That was over 11 years ago and the rest is history, as they say.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-11, 08:15

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam
I had been lowcarbing for over a year when T3 (switched to Armour Thyroid) was introduced and my total cholesterol fell over 89 points!
Yeah, and I had been low carbing for *5* years when I finally was able to get a switch to Armour - and my total cholesterol dropped from 295 to 196 in *six weeks*.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-11, 12:09

BF:
Progress:

Thanks
were the drops in total cholesterol,
due to T3 only or were statins used too ?

did you use any form of Nicotinic acid or niacin,

(not normally prescribed to diabetics)

best of luck
somebloke