Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 11:21

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 193/174.5/148 Female 5'3"
BF:yikes
Progress: 41%
Post supliments??

Hello again <p>
I have a question regarding Cal/Mag supliments, I started taking them along with my multi-vitimin after I began to have leg cramps (something I read could happen) .<br>I am taking 333mg Cal/ 167mg Mag tablets, 3 times a day ( for about a week) The cramps have eased off but not gone completely. My question is..should I be taking more, or maybe wait it out . The only time I have ever taken supliments in the past was while I was pregnant so I'm new to this.<p> I've also decided to take a shot at keeping a Journal. Thanks in advance for your help <p>Eden
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 11:28

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:

Eden, I too had big problems with leg cramping. I started taking Cal/Mag supplements, 1000/500 each, one in the morning and two at night before bed. My symptoms eased, then increased until about 3 weeks into the therapy I had one cramp so bad that I couldn't get it to stop even by standing on my foot. It was scary.

However, after that cramp, which didn't hurt the next day (wierd), they eased completely, to the point where I don't have them any more. It's great to be able to point my toes in bed. I am still taking the Cal/Mag and have changed my supplement to one that contains Zinc as well.

It does take time to work fully, and I think that the two before bed are important since that's when the cramps occurred.

I hope this helps,
;-Deb
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 17:42
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there,

Did you know that potassium has also been implicated in the leg cramp story?
The cal/mag is definitely helpful, but my SO and I found the cramps (he suffered more than I did) disappeared once we added potassium in the form of No Salt. Might be worth trying if you're not already using a potassium supplement of some sort.
The potassium salt is much cheaper than tablets and we simply sprinkle it on food as one uses normal salt. (I say "one" because I hadn't used salt for years! ) You'll find it next to the regular salt in the supermarket.

I hope that is of some help to you, Eden, cramps are miserable things.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 09:22

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 193/174.5/148 Female 5'3"
BF:yikes
Smile

Thank you Deb and Rosebud for the kind advise, I really appreciate the responses <p>Deb I'm gonna try taking an extra at bedtime . The bottle said 3 a day so I didn't really like to take more but if it works why not !<p>Rosebudd, I wasn't aware that the potassium would help the cramps also. I have been taking potassium supliments to ward off fatigue as someone suggested here, and have switched to half salt. Maybe the combination will kick in soon and they will be gone for good..here's hoping! <p>thanks again<br>Eden
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 15:55

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Great information people!

Deb, I bought a cal/mag a while back and never got into the habit of taking it , but I started taking it the other night. Only problem is the bottle says to take with food.

Are you taking yours with or w/o food at night before bed? Or can I take it with dinner and that will be okay and close enough to bedtime to make a difference?

I notice that I have not had nearly as many toe/calf cramps since being on SP, and husband who always used to get severe thigh cramps has tapered off as well.

the only problem I have is once in a while, when I am stretching before my workout int he pool, I hate that my calves and toes cramp. Relaly irks me! And sometimes as night I do get some cramps. WhenI read on this forum somewhere that cal/mag helps with leg cramps, I said WOW and got out that bottle.

Also, the bottle says to take 3 a day (!). That's a lot of pills! Can I get by taking only one a day, or do I really need 3 a day? They are 1000/400 and 15 of zinc.

FYI: I got these at the Grocery Outlet store for $2.19 for 100. Made by Rexall. Pretty good deal, or not?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 16:41

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:

Hi, Betty. I take mine in the morning before I work out (1 pill), which is before anything else and in the evening sometime before I go to bed (2 pills -- could be an hour, could be right before). I have to admit that since I hate taking pills, I don't pay attention to when they say to take them and just take all my pills twice a day.

;-Deb
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 16:52

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Good enough Deb, thanks. Well I guess I will take one with lunch and 2 at dinner. Dinner is usually about 3 hours before bed. I want to make sur eI do take them with food since it's so stressed on the bottle. I guess it's either for maximum absorbancy or to buffer the stomach.