Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-19, 12:02

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default Not into steps, just miles per day

I read about the folks that walk 10,000 steps per day. I suppose they use a pedometer or an app to track that.

I don't own a pedometer, and when I walk, I leave my phone home. In Florida, at the end of a walk, I'm dripping wet and that isn't a good environment for a piece of electronics gear.

Besides, I mostly have the location off to keep either Google or Apple from tracking my every movement They already know more about me than the NSA

So I walk between 3 and 4 miles per day, every day that I'm not working. Mostly 4 when time permits. 4 miles takes a little more than an hour. I have no idea how many calories that burns.

On the days that I work I burn calories other ways. I'm a musician and multi-instrumentalist, so I haul a minivan worth of gear out of my house, into the van, to the gig site, stand 3 to 4 hours without break singing and playing various instruments (being a musician is physical), then pack everything back into the minivan, and when home, back into the house. I have no idea how many calories that burns either.

Anyway on those non-gig days, the walking doesn't bother me at all, I don't mind it one bit. What does get to me is the time involved. I could be learning new songs, learning a new instrument, practicing old ones, taking care of the bookkeeping, cold calling for new gigs, and so forth. Bit it's something I feel I have to do.

There just isn't enough time in the day.

Anybody else track miles instead of steps?

Bob-a-rama
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-19, 10:02

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I used to have a pedometer, but I never got super excited about counting steps. Miles just seems easier.

I haven't been walking much. I used to walk a ton and I've been trying to work it back into my routines. But since I've been focused on getting more exercise since the beginning of the year, I've also been dealing with back-to-back ankle injuries. I think I've improved enough to do some walking, now. I'm going to walk up to the farmer's market in a bit and see how it goes. I can take the bus back if I have problems.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 13:50
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Ive been bumming and decided to distract with a 100 mile challenge. I do hill mode on the treadie so I walk slow, I'm also fat and out of shape.
4/1 1.5 miles (98.5 to go)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 14:07

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I keep track of the time. Usually, at least 60 minutes every morning.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 09:04

BF:

I wore out a couple of manual treadmills over the years, went to an elliptical and eventually wore that out, and decided to wear feet out instead.

The first thing I noticed was ankle fatigue. I guess the elliptical wasn't working my feet properly. That fixed itself in a few weeks.

Now it's been 2 or 3 years, and I wore out a pair or two of tennis shoes, but replacing the shoes is a lot cheaper than replacing a machine.

4 miles takes me about one hour and fifteen minutes. That's my normal walk.

Bob-a-rama
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 09:22

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

#7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-19, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

up to 5.5 miles set my goal as 100 miles by 7/1.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-19, 11:24

BF:

I've been working long hours, and it's physical (moving lots of gear, playing music for 3 hours continuously and moving lots of gear again) so the walking has been minimal. I can't do it on a gig day, it takes too much time.

It's the end of the tourist season, the last hurrah, so in a couple of weeks, I'll be back to 4 miles a day, at least 5 days a week. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough to do it at the beach, if not there is a nice nature park nearby, and there is always my dead-end street.

Bob