Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 17:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Review of Carb Manager app

I just got it for my Apple iPad, so I don’t know if it is on Android (probably) but I’ve only used it one day and I am so pleased.

I have always been a fan of tracking, especially when starting a new wrinkle in my low carb journey. I started keto today, and decided to see how far the science of tracking software has come. I found a well-rated app called Carb Manager. It is really a snap to use, and since I almost live on my iPad, it will always be handy. To add foods, look up basic items like eggs or brand names like Wholy Guacamole and it appears.

You can even scan a barcode, and if it is found in the database, all the information gets uploaded for use. I love that one!

The only thing I didn’t find in the database today was a gourmet item of grassfed sausage, but I could add all the information and store it for the future. It even let me take a picture, so it is easy to find again and see it on my food list.

The foods all have icons to make it easy to find and keep track. And there’s a lot of flexibility in serving sizes. You can even set an entry to appear every day if it is your goto breakfast or something. If you make a mistake, you can adjust it.

There’s a weekly rolling total with charts. I was aiming for macros like this:

Quote:
Generally, the keto diet macros vary within the following ranges: 60-75% of calories from fat (or even more), 15-30% of calories from protein, and. 5-10% of calories from carbs

Today came out to 3% carbs, 76% fat, and 21% protein. That’s 8 grams of net carbs.

That is all I wanted, so I’ll stay on the free level.

The app can expand into a whole program for $40 a year or $5 a month; track exercise, do more reporting, take uploads from your FitBit and downloads to Apple Watch. This also gives access to a whole bunch of recipes and meal plans, including the ability to upload an online recipe and add it to your food list (I gather.)

Whatever you use, I do urge everyone to track for a few weeks at least, just to get the hang of things. I’ve looked up foods and got a nasty surprise. And somehow adding stuff up in our heads or guesstimating never winds up being overestimated. That can trip you up.

It has amazing motivational powers too. You look at something, think what it would do to that nice chart, and you pass it up.

Last edited by WereBear : Sat, Jan-12-19 at 18:16.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 22:13

BF:

OMG I’ve got to stop scanning all my favorite foods and go to bed!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 05:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Thanks for the review - I might play with this later. It might be compatible with my Garmin fitness tracker. I tried MFP with it and hated it. I did the free trial, and couldn't believe what MFP was charging for crappy software/membership. FitDay, which is well over 15 years old, was better. No, I don't want your stupid blogs and attempted social media network, just gimme a tool that works.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 07:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
No, I don't want your stupid blogs and attempted social media network, just gimme a tool that works.

Software by marketing committee! Never works.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 14:04

BF:

Having explored the app further, want to add some more info:

It lets you put in a recipe, and do portions, all with the free version, along with custom foods.

I've been using it to look up foods I was used to having as part of my low carb lifestyle, like cottage cheese, and what I noticed is that the food comes up with a Keto Grade, from A to F, based on a suggested portion size. Like, their default info and letter grade for salsa is 2 tablespoons, while the portion size for Queso dip is 1/2 cup. Which reflects the real world

I also love the pie chart that at a glance tells you what the macro ratios are in this food.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 08:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Thanks for the review. I might download and give it a try. I’ve been using Atkins Carb Tracker & it’s fine. I like to try different apps.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 12:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCer4Life
Thanks for the review. I might download and give it a try. I’ve been using Atkins Carb Tracker & it’s fine. I like to try different apps.

UPDATE: I have downloaded Carb Manager. Been using it fir a few weeks. I like it much better than the Atkins Tracker. It is easier to use, and I so like the graphics that shows your progress for the day.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 15:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCer4Life
UPDATE: I have downloaded Carb Manager. Been using it fir a few weeks. I like it much better than the Atkins Tracker. It is easier to use, and I so like the graphics that shows your progress for the day.

Glad you like it! My favorite feature is the scanner. When I try it on a new food at the grocery store, the pie chart that comes up tells me a lot more than the label.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 10:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Does it have a recipe function and recipe database? Not that I have a ton of recipes stored, but that has been the best part about MFP for me. I can enter Kristie Sullivan's broccoli salad or Wheat Belly basic bread and the recipe is in the database already...no typing each ingredient. That is what has always stopped me from starting over.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 11:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Does it have a recipe function and recipe database?

Yes, and it is pretty easy to navigate. It let me enter a recipe, foods, portions, everything. But I don't know how far it extends in the free version.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 05:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Yikes, there are a lot of tracker apps now! Mostly called Keto, no wonder everyone is confused. I downloaded Carb Manager, but Recipes were 'exclusive' content for premium members...unless I messed up, which is always possible, but closed account.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 06:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Yikes, there are a lot of tracker apps now! Mostly called Keto, no wonder everyone is confused. I downloaded Carb Manager, but Recipes were 'exclusive' content for premium members...unless I messed up, which is always possible, but closed account.

You are correct: you can enter your own recipes, and look at the others, but cannot use them in the app otherwise.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 08:41

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'm a fan of keeping track of my intake (everything from carbs in to bm out (lol)) - and use a Hobonichi Techo as my food log. While I don't currently have a smart phone or a tablet, this may light a fire under my feet to finally get one lol. Thanks for the review!