Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/143/98 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -22%
Default Atkins low carb snacks ??

Hi All
I have been away from the forum for awhile - I have been helping with a friend who had a heart attack and it requires me to drive out of town a few times a week - And my friends do not eat low carb - they eat healthy food but not low carb. So I have definetely been yoyoing on the diet - this week I am trying to do the induction again. But one thing that helped me to not go totally off the wagon during this period was the Atkins snacks and shakes. Sometimes I would just have to grab something quick and was craving something sweet and these really satisfied that craving!
I never reached my goal weight loss because I have been doing this commuting back and forth for over three months now. I still need to lose a good 25 pounds - I am hoping doing the induction again will get me back in ketosis - and I can get on with losing the rest of this weight.
I was hoping to get some info on the Atkins low carb snacks.
I am asuming that since it is an Atkins product that it is true to it's claim of being low carb? The snacks I am referring to are the Atkins Endulge Wafer Crisp snacks that state it has 4g effective carbs - the Morning Start that states 2g effective carbs - the Atkins shakes that claim 1g effective carb. I know that you can't use these on induction but afterwards I am hoping these won't cause any problems. I have just sort of maintained my weight these last couple of months - I would go up a couple pounds and then down a couple - Today I weighed in a pound heavier than I did 3 months ago.
I am really hoping that these snacks truly are low carb for I am a sweet ahololic and these snacks really statisfy you when you get that urge.
Does anyone have any info on these products?
Thanks Sharon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 11:00
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The bars have been known to stall some people. With the wafers, they contain sugar alcohols, and for some people those react like plain sugar. The best thing you can do is go on a strict induction to get rid of the sugar and sweet cravings. Instead grab string cheese, jerky, hard boiled eggs and so on for quick snacks. Make up a large amount of meat in the slow cooker, such as a corned beef brisket or a whole chicken. You just start it in the morning when you leave, put it on low, then you can eat off it for the rest of the week. Invest in a small lunch box sized cooler to pack with you to keep baggies of meat, cheese and veggies in. As long as you keep feeding the sweet cravings they will never go away

If they like health food, but not LC, they probably have veggies around. Remember to eat your veggies. Take raw broccoli and cauliflower and dip it in ranch. Put cream cheese or almond butter in celery slices. Make roll ups in a leaf of lettuce such as meats, make lunch meat and cheese roll ups too.

The Atkins products are good for an occasional treat, but I wouldn't try to live off them. Remember too to drink tons of water to combat the sodium in many convience foods. You might also try EAS carb control shakes. They are a bit cheaper then the Atkins shakes in a can
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

When a sweet craving hits, try to immediately eat some lean protein. Even low cal/low fat plans advocate that to avoid going for sweet things. You may not want the protein/meat/egg, but the cravings won't survive when you eat the good protein.