Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 01:01

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Study shows regular servings of fish can help pupils spell batter

Quote:
From The Sunday Times
London, UK
11 September, 2011

Study shows regular servings of fish can help pupils spell batter

Children fed omega-3 oil, present in fish and yoghurt, performed far better in spelling tests than those given a placebo

The secret of good spelling could be two fish meals a week. Researchers have discovered that children fed omega-3 oil found in fish performed significantly better in spelling tests than those given a substitute.

The differences were most pronounced in children aged 8-9 and boys appeared to benefit more than girls.

The study adds to growing claims about the advantages of a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids, sometimes hailed as a “miracle food” and found in many fish and other foods such as yoghurt. It has been credited with benefits ranging from improving the attentiveness of teenagers to slowing the onset of dementia and protecting against prostate cancer. The researcher who led the study believes the benefits of omega-3 could be gained by eating oily fish such as salmon twice a week or through taking fish oil supplements.

Kerry Lee, senior lecturer in technology education at Auckland University, who presented her findings last week at the British Educational Research Association conference in London, said: “I am still in the early stages of analysis, but I have found that 8 to 9-year-old boys taking omega-3 made fewer spelling errors than the placebo group.”

Lee’s research was carried out over 15 weeks among 174 pupils aged 8-13 at a school in New Zealand. One group was given daily capsules with omega-3 and a placebo group took oil that did not include the supplement.

They were asked to write down as many words beginning with S as they could think of in a five-minute period and as many four-letter words beginning with C in a four-minute period at the start and finish of the trial. The researchers counted the number of spelling mistakes.

In both groups, there was generally a significant increase in the number of words, but not a proportionate increase in errors among those who had taken omega-3 supplements.

The children aged 8-9 showed a decrease in spelling errors, unlike those in the placebo group.

The most significant difference was in spelling among boys aged 8-9. Lee believes that the reason younger boys appeared to benefit most could be related to the parts of the brains they were using and the fact that boys in general lag behind girls in developing literacy, so had more room for improvement.

“My grandchildren love fish oil so much my daughter- in-law gives them capsules as a reward,” she added.
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto...ticle773283.ece
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 23:53

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I wonder what else they'll be able to spell??
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-11, 03:47
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
I wonder what else they'll be able to spell??

I think they need a better proof reader.

Lee
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-11, 05:03

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Was this an insider joke? The spell batter or spell better thing???

With the Brits being prone to splatter their fish with batter then deep-fry them???

Demi, please enlighten us!!!

amanda
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-11, 05:27

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Was this an insider joke? The spell batter or spell better thing???

With the Brits being prone to splatter their fish with batter then deep-fry them???

Demi, please enlighten us!!!

amanda
LOL, yes, you’re right. I read it as a pun, a play on words to do with British fish and chips, and the fact that the fish is coated in batter! At least, I think that was their intention.