Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#646   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 16:39

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Today is a scheduled day off from the iron. I'll try to get in some cardio at work tonight.

Change of plan:

I'm quite discouraged about my failure to lose weight. I've been putting in *a lot* of effort, yet seeing very few and very small changes in body weight.

Now in my head, I understand that I'm currently attempting to accomplish two things at once - build muscles up while simultaneously losing body fat. I'm eating toward that goal - with protein high, moderate fats, and carbs very low.

However I'm beginning to suspect that the excess protein I've been providing for muscle growth is a problem. It's what you are supposed to do when you are trying to grow muscle. Muscle is made of protein, and you can't build muscle without eating protein! I've been having a hard time wrapping my head around reducing protein for that reason...

However - Your body (amazing machine!) can also convert protein into glucose, which of course throws you out of ketosis and makes you hungry. So you eat more protein, and then get into an almost carb-like cycle of hunger and eating. Tragic.

A great mind (or maybe a sarcastic mind) once said something to the effect of "Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different outcome."

Well, I'm not going to keep busting my butt the same, eating the same, and expect my weight to suddenly start dropping. What I'm doing isn't working - at least as far as bodyweight goes. I've lost 5 lb since Oct 8 while killing myself at resistance training and cardio.

I've been stalled out at roughly this weight for 6 weeks, so I'm going to change a variable. I'm going to cut waaaay back on the protein, replace those calories with fat, while continuing to bust my butt and restrict carbs. I'm going to give it a month.

I *may* also attempt intermittent fasting. Not sure how that's going to mesh with rotating shift work, but I'll see what can be done.

Now, all that said...

Overall, I'm very happy with progress. I'm about 50% stronger than I was at the outset, and I don't get winded nearly as fast. My body has hardened a lot, and I'm starting to see muscle definition where there was none before.

I can see my clavicles again (barely). My clothes are loose, and I'm no longer sore the day after serious lifting (stiff, but not sore). I've likely added 3-5 lbs of muscle mass. Also today, I hitched up my pants and decided I'd better tighten my belt some more. There were no more holes left to go tighter. These are good things that are happening, all of them.

On the other hand, I also want to get the most out of all that hard effort that I've been putting in, and see some movement on the scale. So stop doing the same thing over and over, right?

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Fri, Nov-16-18 at 00:36.
Sponsored Links
  #647   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 01:09

BF:

Cardio at work

30 trips up and down my 2 flights of stairs, 20 minutes.
  #648   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-18, 17:32

BF:

Chest and Back day

Circuit 1 (push/pull - hit the lower lats and clavicular pecs back to back)
Bent over dumbbell rows 30x20,15,10,10
Incline Barbell Bench Press 90x15,10,8,6

Brief rest while setting up weights for the next circuit

Circuit 2 (pull/pull - upper lats and pectoralis major) Would have liked this to be a push/pull, but the triceps were hammered by the previous bench press.
Cable Pulldown 120x10 100x10,10,10
Dumbbell Flyes 30x10,10,10,10

Brief rest while setting up next circuit

Circuit 3 (whole body/cardio and trapezius) First ever attempt at power cleans. I used the shrugs to catch my breath, not as a complementary exercise.
Power Cleans 90x5,5,5,5,5 Serious cardio action here. Heart rate was through the roof after just 5 of these.
Barbell Shrugs 90x20,20,10,10

Obliques/whole body
Landmine twist 25lbx10,10,10. These left me gasping also...

About this time the wife showed up and started a conversation, so I didn't get much more done. It was time anyway. 50 minutes, Avg heart rate 146.

Did Ab roller 5, 5
Dumbbell Clean and press, single side 30x5. ...and done.

Most of the above exercises required a great deal of grip strength to perform, so today really blasted the forearms as well. Very cool.

Not sure about cardio at work tonight. Tomorrow is Leg day, and it would be good to start with them fresh. I'll have to see if I can come up with something aerobic that won't work the legs too hard.

Edit:
A little bit of finish-up at work. 10-15 min. I'm not strong or light enough yet to perform full bodyweight exercises, so I did some incline pushups and assisted pullups.
Standing Incline pushups 10,10,10
Assisted Pull ups 5,5,5 (still difficult, even assisted)
Bent over dumbbell row 30x10
Dumbbell Side Bends 50x10,10

V-ups 10,5,8 Heh. Doing these with work boots on is... difficult (and painful).
Bicycle Crunch 10

No legs. Never really worked up a sweat.

Edit 2: Since I'm stuck here at work on a scheduled day off, might as well exercise a little more now that my chores are done...

Fireman's Carry w/50lb sand bag 125 steps per shoulder. We have bags of traction sand for plowing snow. Very handy for core work!

Walkabout for 20 min indoors - it's crazy windy and just a couple of degrees above freezing. Knee is feeling pretty good with this higher fat diet. Interesting, that...

Overhead Carry 135 steps. The linked video shows a lady using a 45lb plate. I used what was available - a wood shipping pallet. That sucker was really difficult to manage. It swayed all over the place!

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Sun, Nov-18-18 at 01:32.
  #649   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-18, 15:25

BF:

Yep I'm in ketosis for certain - Shed water like crazy last night at work. I'm down 2 lbs today. Of course since those two pounds are water weight, they could come back just as quickly, given a little excess protein.

I'll keep the avocado intake up there, and hopefully the fat will start to burn off a little more quickly!

Edit: I've noticed a couple of things already. Just off the cuff...
My fingers are really cold, even in a warm room. That's just weird.
No energy for intense workouts. I hope this gets better, because high-intensity workouts suck the life out of you even when you have the energy and stamina. When you don't have any energy, it's more of a death march.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Sun, Nov-18-18 at 01:31.
  #650   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-18, 22:33

BF:

Legs and Butt

Feeling a little weak today, probably due to entering ketosis and not being adapted to it very much. Or maybe it will just be this way with low protein. I dunno.

Circuit 1 (push/pull)
Barbell Squats 130x10,10 110x10,10
Barbell Good Mornings 130x10,10 110x10,10

Short break to move the bar to the floor and add plates.

Circuit 2 (push/push) Once again using a light exercise while resting from a body-slamming exercise.
Deadlifts 160x10,5,5,10
Single Leg Calf Raise 10,10,10 per leg

Circuit 3 (push/pull)
Vertical Jumps 5,5,5
Hamstring Curls 45x10,10,10

Circuit 4
Power Clean 90x5,5,5
Weighted Hip Bridge, feet together 30lbsx10,10,10
Weighted Hip Bridge, feet apart 30lbsx10,10,10

Time and Intensity: 32 min, Heart Rate 148 BPM average.

Dropped down one size in jeans today, so that was a nice feeling. They fit a little bit tight across the butt and in the thighs yet.
Still have a ways to go getting rid of that jiggly stuff.

Edit:
Back at work.

Two flights of stairs. 30 trips up and down. 21 minutes - a minute slower than last time I did this many. I just checked this website and saw how to calculate the vertical distance climbed. 31 stair steps x 30 trips x 17 /63360 = vertical distance climbed. 30 trips = 1/4 mile climbed. Feels more like 5 miles climbed...

Sandbag Fireman Carry 50lb, 210 steps on each shoulder. Big time trapezius burn trying to keep the shoulders squared up whilst side-loaded.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Sun, Nov-18-18 at 03:52.
  #651   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-18, 16:08

BF:

Today is supposed to be Shoulders, Abs, and Cardio. That's not gonna happen.

Instead we are celebrating the wife's birthday - not because it's her actual birthday, but because this is the only day off I have until after Thanksgiving. 12 hour shifts with a commute on either end simply don't leave you a lot of time after work for pleasantries, so it's better to do these things on a day off.

Problem lately is it's hard to get a day off, other than switching from days to nights, or vice-versa.

I didn't want wait even longer and have her birthday get overshadowed by the Thanksgiving holiday. So we celebrate today.

A rest while switching over to day shift tomorrow will also be good. Truth told, I'm feeling a little run down.
  #652   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-18, 06:42

BF:

Morning, 4:30AM. 220.6 lbs - a new low. Didn't get to shoulders or cardio yesterday. I was stuck in the control room all day long with lots of people coming and going, so there wasn't an opportunity to do stairs.

Was pretty tired after work and went to bed at 7:30 PM instead of downstairs to hit the iron.

Had a two and a half hour bout with insomnia starting around midnight. Rotating shifts are helpful that way... Also it was driven partly by hunger. Should have had a little cottage cheese before going off to bed.

I'll be outside at work today, so I can see cardio (stairs) happening. Although there are some adjustable dumbbells at work, I'd rather do that at home with my own equipment, even if it takes a bite out of our limited family time. We will see.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Wed, Nov-21-18 at 06:32.
  #653   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-18, 06:37

BF:

Morning 4:30 AM before work.
220.4 lbs. BF 25%. Down a little on both.

Hydration has a huge impact on how the scale reports BF%. If hydration is up, weight will also be up, but BF will be down. It's a 15 year old Tanita scale - not sure if all scales have this issue. Can anyone chime in here?

No shoulders or cardio yesterday either. In bed at 7:30 and slept through the night.

Did about 20 flights of stairs in the course of work, and that didn't feel very good - No energy.

This might be the Keto flu everyone talks about. Hopefully it passes. However, I recall being pretty lethargic last time I was in long-term ketosis also. Like I said, I will give this a month, and I've only been at it for 5 days.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Wed, Nov-21-18 at 06:43.
  #654   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-18, 21:33

BF:

I managed to behave myself on Thanksgiving... ate quite a bit of white turkey meat and green beans with bacon and onion fried in olive oil. Had a small piece of pumpkin pie.

Afterwards, I worked arms. It was no big deal, except I tried an exercise I'd forgotten about for biceps. Talk about difficult! I used the curling bar with just 30 lbs for the first set, and just 20 lbs for the second set. They are still slightly enlarged from that, days later. The exercise is called Twenty Ones The length of time your biceps are under tension is unreal. It works.

Then over the next couple of days I ate the rest of the pie, because nobody else likes that. The leftover turkey got chopped up and made into a huge slow-cooker full of turkey chowder, complete with potatoes, carrots, and corn. So we had that too.

Then there were a couple of trips to town, got hungry, had no time, ate garbage lunch at McD. Gross. It always gives me the trots too. Don't know why I do that, other than to fill an empty stomach quickly. Gah. Picked up 5 lbs, probably mostly water from processing the carbs.

I'm now back to work and able to control my schedule and diet a lot better. Woke up and had an avocado and some swiss cheese and coffee.
  #655   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-18, 21:43

BF:

So back to it again today. Chest and Back
I'll say this: For lifting, carbs rule. You have tons more power and endurance when your muscles are full of glycogen.

Circuit 1 (push pull)
Wide Grip Barbell Bench Press 110x10,10,10 90x10
Cable Pulldown 90x10,10,10

Circuit 2 (push pull)
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 30x10,10,10
T-Bar Rows 70x10,10,10

One Arm Dumbbell Row 50x10,10,10
Barbell Pullover 40x10,10,10

Dumbbell Weighted Situp 30x10,10,10

At work: Shrugs with my favorite hefty rigging shackles 50x12,12,12

Intensity:
30 min 141 BPM average

Cardio later on, will edit this post afterwards.
Edit: Brief Cardio - it's leg day. Up and down 2 flights of stairs 10x two steps at a time 6-1/2 minutes.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Thu, Nov-29-18 at 04:52.
  #656   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-18, 22:42

BF:

Legs
(back down to 221 lbs, showing almost 29% Bodyfat (hydration throws that number off)
Barbell Squats 110x10,10,10
Barbell Good Mornings 110x10,10,10

Single Leg Split Squat 5,5,5,10,5. Painful. Had to grab a table to keep upright. My sense of balance is poor for these sort of things.
Single Leg Calf Raise 15,10,12 per side.

Deadlifts 180x10,10,5,5
Hamstring Curls 50x10,10,10

Hip bridge, feet together, weighted 30lbs x10,10,10
Hip bridge, feet apart, weighted 30lbs x10,10,10

Intensity:
28 min. Avg 146 BPM

Later at work...

Stairs 2 flights up and down, two steps at a time 6 min, 8 trips.
Single Dumbbell Clean and Press 30x10,10 per side
1/2 mile fast walk

Edit: Even later at work (hey, I'm here all night)
Bunny Hops up my two flights of stairs x3 Tough to do
Side bends with 50 lb shackles 50x12,12,10
Shoulder carry, 50lbs 225 steps each side. This is really taxing.
Another 1.5 miles walking, some skipping.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Fri, Nov-30-18 at 21:35.
  #657   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-18, 21:52

BF:

Shoulders
220.2 lbs 26.5% BF. Should be around 219 and 25%, so I'm still carrying a bit of water from my 4 days of sloth and gluttony

Glutes are pretty painful today. Not sure what accounts for that. The deadlifts weren't all that heavy.

(cardio and abs later tonight - If they're gonna make me work 7 straight 12 hour shifts, they can let me exercise here).

Barbell Military Press 90x7 70x7,6 60x6,6(fail) Was pretty pleased to loft 90lbs up several times. Looking forward to doing some triple digits.
Dumbbell Front Raise 15x7,7,7,7,7 (35 total reps)
Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise 20x7,7,7,7,7 (35 reps) - "Thou Shalt Not Omit Rear Delts!"

One Arm Dumbbell Clean and Press 40x5 (too much pain in the left shoulder for this weight today) 30x5, 10,10
Straight-Arm landmine rotations 25lbx5,10,10,5 Jeez these were hard to complete. That's why there are a couple of sets of 5 in there. They take your breath away as a core exercise. But they also hit the shoulders pretty hard, since you are straight-arming it.

Finisher:
Arnold Press 20x10,6(fail)

Intensity - up there due to the landmine & Clean and Press exercises
31 min 155 avg heart rate

Did some abs, no cardio - glutes, quads and hamstrings are all tender. No point over working them. Also, feeling a bit run down at the moment.

Bicycle Crunch 15,10
V-up 5,5,5,5
Grabbed the adjustable dumbbells with 10lbs on them and tested shoulders with a few easy raises - They are pretty wiped out.
Did a walking lap around the perimeter at work.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Sat, Dec-01-18 at 00:52.
  #658   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 00:38

BF:

220.2 lbs 26.5% BF

Arms (gave them the punishment they've been avoiding) and cardio

Circuit 1
21s with the ez curl bar 30lbs, 30lbs, 30lbs, 20lbs, 20lbs, 20lbs. Ugh!
Barbell Bench Press 90x15,15,10,10,12,15,14(failure) Took a very long time to get to failure. Should have just piled on more weight.

Circuit 2
Dumbbell Hammer curls 20x10 (already hurting from circuit 1) 15x15,15,15
Barbell Tricep extension 40x10,20,17(failure)

Dumbbell Cross Face Exension 15x10 20x10

Wrist Curl 20x10,10,10,7(failure)
Reverse Wrist Curl 15x10 10x15,15,17(fail)

Cable Pushdown with rope 50x10 40x10,7(fail)

Finish Bench Press 90x10 - really wobbly
Finish 21s 20lbs

Intensity - Low
50 minutes 132 Avg heart rate

OFG Cardio - jumped on the elliptical for the first time in a while. Put it on autopilot. It's really a grind to try to maintain just 50 RPM on that thing.
20 min 152 avg heart rate. 2-1/4 miles

More OFG Cardio at work 2-1/4 more miles fast walk/skipping/slow jogging.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Sun, Dec-02-18 at 03:32.
  #659   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-18, 17:17

BF:

Scheduled day off from the iron. Good thing. My arms are SORE from yesterday's abuse.

Stats today: 219.6 lbs BF 25.5% Oddly enough, even at this high BF%, I'm starting to look a bit better in the mirror. There is a more muscular profile, even if there is poor definition. So the V-shape is starting to become apparent - above the muffin top! LOL.

I read a study recently that indicated that you don't have to lift heavy to get muscle growth. You get the exact same growth whether you lift a lot of reps with light weight, or a few reps with heavy weight - so long as you train to failure. The study also showed both type 1 and type 2 muscle fibers grow at the same pace, regardless of lifting heavy or light.

This is great news for an old guy with pain in most of his small joints! Looks like I'm going to be shooting for higher volume with less weight. It'll be less intensity (cardio) too though, so the fat loss won't be quite as effective.

I'm OK with that. I know other people who worked out solo, and who dropped a heavy bench press on their chest. They ended up in the hospital and were never the same again. So lighter weights are fine with me for that reason as well.

Guess I'll have to ramp up the cardio a bit to compensate.

I kind of enjoyed getting back on the elliptical yesterday. Today not so much.
20 min, 2.5 miles, Heart rate avg 155. Didn't feel bad, but didn't feel too good either.

Back at work...
30 sets of my two flights of stairs. 20 minutes. Big heat build-up. Lots of sweat during and after.

Tried something new on the stairs, and that was eccentric calf exercise (also known as "negatives") each time I went downstairs.

Perhaps the best exercise for muscle growth is eccentric movements. Anyways, I attempted to get some eccentric calf exercise in on the way down by stepping down on my toes, and gradually lowering until my heels touched. A lot of negatives.

Edit: Did a mile doing a military march. There is quite a difference in exertion between my normal fast walk, and long-stride marching with shoulders back, chest puffed out, and chin in the air. Good stuff to keep in mind! Also good for posture

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Mon, Dec-03-18 at 06:51.
  #660   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-18, 15:23

BF:

Back and Chest
Today's stats: 218.6 and 25.5

Circuit 1
Landmine T Bar rows 60x12,10,8,10,10,8 40x10,10,10 Lots!
Dumbbell Flyes (flat) 40x10,6 30x12,10,10,15,10(fail)

I would normally have done bench press instead of flyes for the chest part above, but my triceps are still pretty sore from the arm workout the other day.

Circuit 2
Incline Dumbbell Flyes 25x15,15,15,10
Cable Pulldown 70x15,12,15,10

Plate Shrugs 45x15,15,15

Ab roller extensions 10,10
Dumbbell Weighted Situps 30x15

Intensity:
41 min, 146 avg heart rate

Cardio - not too much. Tomorrow is leg day, so I don't want to blow them out tonight. Did about 1 mile fast walk indoors. It's 22 degrees outdoors. Edit: Did a second indoor walk, about 1 mile.

That thing I did on the stairs didn't do anything for the calves proper. It did manage to blow out the tibialis which is (surprise, surprise) responsible for ankle motion. I'm a dummy - my shins are sore.

Last edited by IdahoSpud : Tue, Dec-04-18 at 06:38.