Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 23:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/177/154 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 30%

Jas, Neela, Lez,
Hi to all of you. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Goa. There are just as lovely places in other parts of India too. Kashmir, Ladakh, Sikkim....I could go on and on and on...... Give them a try sometime too.

Soulmia....welcome to this site. You've come to the right place. There are many many discussion areas on the Atkins way of life and I'm sure you'll find them useful. As for finding the right diet plan.....Atkins is a very good plan, but I suggest you read the book first. If you understand the science behind it, the chances of your sticking with the plan would be that much better. Also, Atkins doesn't tell you to eat less. The diet keeps you full, lets you eat the stuff like butter, bacon, meat (sinful stuff according to other diet plans ) AND helps you to loose weight....what could be better?
As for adapting to the Indian style of cooking/eating.....I've found that cutting out the rice and roti is all you really need to do. Once you can get your mind around not eating the subzi/dal "WITH" something, it works fine. So basically, you continue eating whatever you did before (excluding the potatoes, carrots, peas) WITHOUT the rice/roti. So not much extra effort also.
I'll just add one pc of advice..............don't get obsessed with this whole weight thingy. It took years for you to to get to your present weight, don't expect it to fall off in a hurry. Adopting the Atkins way is a lifelong commitment and if you are looking for quick fixes, the yo-yo is all you will get!

All the best in your efforts, and do keep writing in. This is a great site for support in weight loss attempts!

Anu
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, May-08-06, 05:58
Registered Member

Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

Hi Anu.

I am trying to work my way around India, I have visited Calcutta several times, Bombay and Cochin and of course Goa.

I am going back to India in November for as long as my visa/money lasts, I’m a bit old to go backpacking so with the help of a map the internet and friends I shall see as much of India as I can.

Lez
  #108   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 12:01

Plan: SB
Stats: 142/135/120 Female 5:3
BF:
Progress:

Hey nice to see some lovlies posting again! Lez, I noticed your saying at the end of your sig.....lol - I fall under the word stupidity!

Anu - good advice....what is new with you?

Soulmia - welcome! Hey, how much is 15 kg? Patience is the key along with peseverence....I lack in both - lol! What ever plan you follow, post lots as we ladies enjoy our chit chat!

Okay things were going pretty good but then last Friday, I had a quad accident - I was a passenger behind DH. We hit a major hole, flew up in the air 4 feet and the back tire ran over my leg and foot. The result - sprained ankle - black & blue and on crutches.

Lots of pain but I am getting better! Advil helps! Sitting in bed and eating has not helped and summer is here....yikes!

Will bbl
  #109   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 12:13

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 160.6/160.6/121 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking I kid you not

15 kgs is about 33lbs! But i've decided to bite the bullet and try and drop 36lbs...

Jas... your story sound horrible...take care!! Ask me... I have just recovered from a fractured wrist... FREAK accident... I live in India and am an Indian..my spanish neighbours were going back to spain and decided to have a farewel party... organised an elephant to stand at the door and greet people as they came in.. The elephant must have been mad because he walked over to me ( I was standing about 50 metres away) very casually..put his snout around my ankle and flung me on the street!!! He had me up in the air about 3 feet!!! I'm tellin' you: hearing your own bone snap is NOT a sound I ever wanna hear again I'm much better now... got the cast off but still very sore and stiff...
so you're not alone..i'm missbrokenbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas50
Hey nice to see some lovlies posting again! Lez, I noticed your saying at the end of your sig.....lol - I fall under the word stupidity!

Anu - good advice....what is new with you?

Soulmia - welcome! Hey, how much is 15 kg? Patience is the key along with peseverence....I lack in both - lol! What ever plan you follow, post lots as we ladies enjoy our chit chat!

Okay things were going pretty good but then last Friday, I had a quad accident - I was a passenger behind DH. We hit a major hole, flew up in the air 4 feet and the back tire ran over my leg and foot. The result - sprained ankle - black & blue and on crutches.

Lots of pain but I am getting better! Advil helps! Sitting in bed and eating has not helped and summer is here....yikes!

Will bbl
  #110   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 10:36

BF:
Progress:

Natasha....GOOD LORD....Freak accident is right! How often does that happen with an elephant! I rode an elephant when I was 10 yrs. old in India. But thank God, that trip has good memories! Lucky you only had a fractured wrist - it could have been so much worse - as could my accident!

So you moving to Banglore - job change or hubby moving?

So it is cloudy and rainy here in Alberta, Canada. We are hoping that next weekend will be awesome as we are off for 5 days fishing/RVing

BBL
  #111   ^
Old Wed, May-10-06, 10:46

BF:

The doctor who was attending to my fractured wrist on the night it happened asked, "what happened?" and I said " an elephant flung me" and he asked me what happened about 3 - 4 times coz he thought i was just being sarcastic as I was in so much pain!!
it is an incredible story. I look at it exactly as you do - it could have been much much worse. Also, if you look at it on the bright side: i'll have such a cool story to tell people. beats telling them you fractured your wrist from falling in the bath!
Moving to bangalore with the boyfriend i'll job hunt once I'm there.
have fun fishing...eat what you catch - it is carb free
keep writin' in
  #112   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 04:28
Registered Member

Stats: 187/177/154 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 30%

Natasha! WOW! I mean WOOOOOW! That must have been SOME experience! But what a story to tell after you've healed! This reminds me of the time my family went rafting on the Beas river (Himachal). Our first time and have a super duper time, when, WHOOSH......my hubby falls into the river! The captain or whatever you call those muscle bound hulks who lead the group, swung the boat around (no mean feat in mid stream, I tell u....raging waters all around, snarling rocks...the works!!) and LITERALLY picked him up by the seat of his pants! When we finally made it to shore, all the others were very envious.....apparently hubby got a bonus (free dunking), which the others did'nt!!
Jas, good to hear from you. Terrible accident, I'm glad you escaped so lightly. Have fun fishing!

Lez, good to know you liked India well enough to come back again. I hope you have a wonderful time here, it's a great country!
Happy LCing everyone,
Anu
  #113   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 07:42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu

Lez, good to know you liked India well enough to come back again. I hope you have a wonderful time here, it's a great country!
Happy LCing everyone,
Anu

Anu;

You said I like India enough to return.

Well I like India enough to go and live there. I am in the process of opening an Indian bank account and getting a NIR permit, so from next November I will be in India for 180 days.

180 days should give me enough time to find a house in an area that I will be comfortable living in and hopefully not too much bureaucracy

Lez
  #114   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 09:06

BF:
Progress:

Anu - Holy Crap - that would be scary! Glad nothing bad happened!

I sure wish it was Friday......but then again, there is so much to do this weekend - the question is how much can I do hobbling along on crutches!
  #115   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 03:41

BF:

wow! where in india are you planning on moving to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lez
Anu;

You said I like India enough to return.

Well I like India enough to go and live there. I am in the process of opening an Indian bank account and getting a NIR permit, so from next November I will be in India for 180 days.

180 days should give me enough time to find a house in an area that I will be comfortable living in and hopefully not too much bureaucracy

Lez
  #116   ^
Old Fri, May-12-06, 12:32
Registered Member

Hi Soulnia.

I will be going with an open mind but, I’m almost certain it will be away from the big cities and it will be very close to the sea, I have a map and a computer so I can research and plan my trip.

To date, my plan is to fly to Goa and buy a motorbike, spend 2 weeks looking at property away from the tourist places, if I find a house that I like in my price range all well and good, if not I will carry on looking, that’s my plan.

Lez I see we have the same birth date (only, 30 years apart)
  #117   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 11:18
Registered Member

Stats: 213/194.6/165 Female 5' 7''
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey! Any Indian low-carbers still around?
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 13:35

BF:

ok guys,
i'm back!
I have abused every rule known to low carbers...but after 4 months of it, i've put my tail between my now even huge-er legs...and am back to general low carbing.
However, I plan on reading the south beach book from tomorrow....
what happened to this thread? it was meant to swap low carb indian recipies...or?

keep writin in
  #119   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: ......................
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

Hi i am joining this thread really late but my DH is Indian and he is a strict vegetarian/carbatarian and I have been vegetarian,the Indian foods make me gain like crazy because of all the starches,its really hard to eat low carb when someone you live with only eats carbs,I need some support :-).
  #120   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 04:33

Plan: Kimkins (atkins modified)
Stats: 118.8/115/88 Female 146cms
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu
Hi everyone,
I'm from Calcutta, India. Anyone out there from this country/city? I'd love to get in touch and see if we can indianise the Atkins cuisine.
There's only so much of cold soggy spinach or cabbage an Indian can stomach, right?
Anu

Hi Anu... I just joined this Forum. I have been looking for someone to get in touch with to Indianise the atkins cuisine. I have started on the kimkins diet today (low cal atkins diet) and I need all the help I can get.... I am located in Bangalore... So... count me in to indianize Atkins...