Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 11:32

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You are incorrect. Type 1 cannot go into remission. And the autoimmune response is *permanent* which is why they are trying to sheathe transplanted beta cells in porous plastic.
I think you need to read the extensive research on this topic before meditating casually on a disease that some of us live with everyday.

V.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 11:37

Plan: paleo
Stats: 134/143/154 Male 183cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
First of all, I'm not a raw-fooder. I don't believe in magical enzymes. However...

Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, right? Destroys the beta cells.

Beta cells do regenerate, right? Even in type 1's. But they get nuked due to the autoimmune disease. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If an autoimmune disease can go into remission, and they do, then potentially that could be a way for a Type 1 to recover insulin function.

That's right Nancy, I also believe that regeneration is possible on most type 1s, even Dr. Bernstein (who has no noticeable insulin production) said that he only knows of 2 type 1s that seem not to be able to produce insulin, himself and a patient of him. All the others still produce insulin (around 88% of type 1 from what I've read).

If you get rid of the antibodies, you will probably be able to regenerate beta cells (I've read that in 1 year the pancreas is able to regenerate around 20% of beta cells, don't have the link though), this is what a lot of studies on animals suggest.

I don't know if this raw food diet can achieve this effect. Since we don't know what kind of seeds (I understand that the main focus of the diet are seeds) they provide, we won't know what nutrients they're ingesting.

But, generally speaking, as seeds are baby plants, that contain nutrients in extreme amounts, if you have high amounts of quercetin in the grown plant for example, usually you will have monstrous amounts in the seed.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 11:54

BF:

umm. The problem is you can't "get rid of the antibodies."

Can someone please tell me why it is important to non Type 1's to discuss things they know nothing about? I,for example, do not contribute to discussions of say, metformin.
It is rather crushing to read about false "cures."

V.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 12:11

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-effect
umm. The problem is you can't "get rid of the antibodies."

Can someone please tell me why it is important to non Type 1's to discuss things they know nothing about? I,for example, do not contribute to discussions of say, metformin.
It is rather crushing to read about false "cures."

V.

Because it looks like there are different types 1? Eddie suggests that there are true type 1s and false type 1s.

Why are you so sure that you can't get rid of the antibodies? As I understand it, it has been observed that they can disappear, it is not known why, for now.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 13:04

BF:

Can you point to a case of Type 1 reversal (peer reviewed literature, please) where the antibodies have "gone away" and beta cell function restored? Surely these people should be studied by those doctors researching a cure for T1.
And what you are discussing refers to "false" T1's? I've never heard this term, but perhaps from now on if anyone is refering to an *existing* cure for T1, they could clarify that they are talking about "false" T1?

V.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 13:18

BF:
Progress:

The teen with the silent celiac disease, he had the antibodies ICA, GAD65 and glucose disturbed metabolism, everything changed (the antibodies disappeared) with the change of diet.

If he would have continiued eating gluten, I'm pretty sure he would have gone into a full blown IDDM very fast. It looks like that the gluten was the culprit for the GAD65 and ICA abs.

I suspect that some people qualified as type I, have this problem undetected. There are probably other metabolic disorders that will have the same effect and are just qualified as type 1.

We just don't know a lot about the causes of diabetes, but a lot of data suggests refined/excessive glucose/lactose/fructose as the main culprits, yes, even for type 1s. If the ingestion of gluten can cause antibodies and they dissapear when you don't ingest the stuff, why can't be the same true for the sugars?

There are others that claim, like those defined as LADAs, usually qualified as type 1s, sometimes as type 2s, that they can get off insulin after using it for prolongued periods of times.

For the true/false thing, perhaps Eddie himself could explain what he means by that.

BTW, I'm classified, for the moment, as a NIDDM type I, no joke.
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 06:23

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Exclamation

Folks,

With all due respect to each of you, stop being so contentious with remarks.

We all have lots to learn.

We all have hopes.

Look back a few decades and there would have been people in a "forum" saying diabetes is a death sentence and it was back then.

But now, people live with it as a result of meters, insulin fast and slow, better diets., etc.

Who knows what the future may bring.

Maybe some day based on something noone knows a thing about right now in this moment in time , there is no "cure" for Type 1 diabetes.

Perhaps a decade maybe two from now people will be in here talking about how happy that "such and such" a disease is now solved.

Play nice.

I always have hope.

I see lots of hope here battling with reality; but reality changes minute by minute.

Best wishes to each of you,

Ralph
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 07:02

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Good point Ralph!

The "Cure" if there is a cure for anything, be it diabetes, cancer, etc.... It all exists NOW, not in some future moment. It is only for us to discover its existence.....

What's so wrong with hope for a cure for type I diabetes?

Veffect is panicked that this discussion will lure some type 1s' into some dangerous situation and finds such discussions as a source of anger. I've not read where anyone suggested that anyone should discontinue their meds, insulin, monitoring, etc......

The reality is most of us don't have enough hope............

When I started following my wife's advice on how to control my diabetes, I didn't do it because I knew she was right. I had faith and hope that in following her ways, it would work. My faith and hope has led to a much improved lifesyle, filled with love and health. That's my reality and it could not have happened without hope!!!!!!!!

Yes, Ralph is right. We are all sometimes too rough on ourselves and others. We're in this together, but we need to listen to it all, especially the experiences of others....
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 09:03

BF:

Hi all,

Thanks for the words about hope- I do have lots of hope! And I am not "panicked." Rather I have a perhaps maternal, protective attitude toward young diabetics who might find the videos of quacks and try their "advice." I believe I've heard people on this board fulminate, rightly, against the ADA 's quack guidelines to treat T2. What's the difference? Both are lethal lies.
I will desist in this discussion. However, out of curiousity, I still wonder why non autoimmune type 1 diabetics care so much about claiming there are cures out there *for me.* It's just plain odd.

V.
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 11:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

V, this is conversation we're having here, not advice to Type-1 diabetics. I think most people realize that.

Having suffered from at least 2 autoimmune diseases and issues with gluten (which getting off of cleared one autoimmune disease, well the symptoms anyway), I did a lot of reading on a hypothesis of autoimmune diseases.

Here's how it goes:

Normally we have all sorts of foreign proteins in the gut from the foods we eat. Something bad happens that opens up the "tight junctions" in the gut that allows some of these proteins to get into the blood stream before they're properly digested into amino acids. These proteins are then recognized by the body as foreign and it sets off an autoimmune reaction to those proteins.

Unfortunately these proteins sometimes resemble proteins our body produces naturally as hormones or things cells secrete to do things. Because the body is now programmed to respond to proteins shaped like that, it now starts attacking itself.

This theory is one Dr. Ebringer has been looking at for Anklosing Spondylitis patients who produce a protein very similar to the Klebsiella Pnuemonia bacteria. Here's a link if you're interested in reading more. Molecular Mimicry

This idea of a "leaky gut", where foreign proteins can cross the intestinal barrier and set off an autoimmune disease is getting quite a lot of attention in some circles.

So, the big question is, is this how long does the immune system remember a foreign protein and respond to it? It isn't forever, we know that from getting flu shots and other immunizations. You have to redo them periodically. If you could heal the leaky gut or prevent that foreign protein from crossing over, perhaps eventually the autoimmune reaction would eventually stop.

As far as what causes a leaky gut to begin with, we know at least one culprit. It was discovered that a hormone called Zonulin causes the tight junctions in the gut to open allowing stuff to cross over into the blood stream. Why do we make Zonulin? Why do some people have their TJ's get stuck open? These are all matters that some researchers are looking into and could possibly lead to some discoveries that could help all autoimmune sufferers someday! We can hope.

BTW: If you go to pubmed.org and put "intestinal permeability" in the search box there is quite a lot to read. Including this: Leaking gut in Type 1 diabetics

My own personal theory is that its the food we're eating that is causing the TJ's to open and sometimes stay open. I think that's why Celiacs are so prone to getting other autoimmune diseases, they get the worst effect from Zonulin.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sun, Mar-01-09 at 11:16.
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 11:35

BF:
Progress:

Nancy, thanks for the valuable info.

There's also a hint that Type II is also caused by some intestinal dysfunction. I've read that if a Type II's duodene is bypassed, diabetes will disappear almost overnight.

I find it odd that by bypassing a part of the intestine will provide an almost instataneous cure and I'm convinced that all Types of diabetes, excepting Type I Mody are caused by what we ingest. Perhaps what we eat alters the flora in the gut and then you get a disbalance in which some will thrive and release toxins.

In my case, I had for years problems with my digestive system, but that was more nerve related.

Interesting theory you've posted. Thanks

Last edited by AgimA : Sun, Mar-01-09 at 11:42.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 14:07

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

V,

I used to get riled when people spoke against herbal useage and I used to get myself in a fluster when I read about type 2's being dependent on insulin. I probably can still get rile and flustered about many things......

Newbies to this board or to diabetes should not be a deterrent to our expressing ourselves about how we feel at whatever juncture we are on our individual journey.

One thing I've learned is that there's always more to learn. I don't think there is a constant way to approach diabetes, be it for a type 1 or type 2. The disease changes and we must change along with it.

With everything I've done and I've had successes, I've still not stumbled onto anything that's permanent and it's likely I never will. But, no matter what my odds are of finding a cure/permanent control, I'll be damned if I'll lay down and die without trying new things from time to time, even it is futile.

By the way, I introduced one video about a type 1 supposedly being able to go off of insulin due to a vegetarian diet of sorts, but I laid it out there and that doesn't necessarily make me an advocate of there being a cure......... However, if it leads others to look more into it and report successes or lack thereof, then I've done my part by introducing the video. I surely am not posting to aggravate anyone and cause hate and discontent......
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 16:47

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgimA
Nancy, thanks for the valuable info.

There's also a hint that Type II is also caused by some intestinal dysfunction. I've read that if a Type II's duodene is bypassed, diabetes will disappear almost overnight.

I find it odd that by bypassing a part of the intestine will provide an almost instataneous cure and I'm convinced that all Types of diabetes, excepting Type I Mody are caused by what we ingest. Perhaps what we eat alters the flora in the gut and then you get a disbalance in which some will thrive and release toxins.

In my case, I had for years problems with my digestive system, but that was more nerve related.

Interesting theory you've posted. Thanks

Hi Agima,

I agree with you. I saw a documentary here in Canada about the gastric bypass surgery, and it set me on a new path. Then I saw the Gabriel Cousens documentary on TV - where he takes 6 diabetics who have been on insulin plus other meds for years (and one type 1 supposedly), and put them on a diet of raw vegan food after a 5 day green juice fast. They were all off their meds by the first week.

I kept this in mind, and when Vivid Lily posted about raw food about ten days ago and said she had been off insulin for months after being on it for years, I remembered that documentary and thought I would see for myself.

So five days ago, I began eating raw vegan foods. Yesterday and today I had a few hypos of 3.7 (don't know in US terms), even after I cut down my basal from 16 morning and evening to 10 morning and evening and cut out most bolus. Frankly, I am astounded. I had very little faith that it would work. Also, I wasn't a salad lover. I don't know why this works or for how long, since diabetes is progressive; however, Dr Cousens says the raw food turns off the expression of the inherited gene.

Now before anyone jumps on me for posting this, the topic of this thread was if anyone was able to get off insulin. The answer is yes. Vivid Lily and other have, and it looks like I might be doing that too. Raw vegan seems to work.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 17:45

BF:
Progress:

Hi januaria,

yes, I saw that too, it's really strange.

I measured before 3.4 (62)!!! But I'm not on raw diet, just taking some supplements, seeds (pumpkin, sunflower) with salads and fatty meats. I'm amazed on how I'm able to work with such lows, last week it was a different story though.

I took a spoon of peanut butter and I'm now at 4.4 (80), will drink some green tea without tequila...

I'm not on insulin or other "legal" medications
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 18:10

BF:
Progress:

For the record, I was also on insulin, 3 days only tough... When I saw on how my BG was plummeting I got scared, I woke up trembling and sweating with a reading of 4.5, went to the 2 bozos and told them to stick their lantus where they preferredly pleased, they agreed, well, they had to

A week later I dropped metfin, after reading the possible side effects.

To be a doc must be hell nowadays. No more respect from the poor sickies.