Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 17:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%
Lightbulb TOFFs in Menopause

I know you ladies have gone or are going through menopause. Maybe we can share here some of the things that made menopause bearable.
I know this has been discussed in the General Health section, but maybe some "light" stuff.
Whaddya says, gals??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 14:46
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

I'm with you, Mariejoe. Be glad to chat anytime.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 23:17

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Me too

Hi Rose Tatoo--I've been through it so am willing to tell you all how I hung out the door in the middle of winter panting and trying to fan myself cool--Since I have been on this WOE--I somedays swear that I am back in it. I just get so hot. Well say good night for now. Catch you later. Alice
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 17:59

Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%

Rose, that is too funny.

I don't really have HOT flashes, they are sort of warmish, and usually in early evening.
Ever since femHRT made my hair thin, I'm off that crap, only using pormetrium to try and rebalance the old hormones.
I guess I don't really have too many menopause stories, I was hoping to get some chit-chat going here. There must be more than the three of us out there. Maybe no one thinks menopause has anything humorous going for it.

Didn't they used to say losing weight after "the change" was gonna be impossible. Guess we proved them wrong!!!

Calling all menopausal LCers!!!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 16:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/165/140 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 22%

Knocking on wood, I've only gotten hot flashes after I've had a couple of glasses of red wine, and then they hit me in the middle of the night. So I avoid wine.

Vit. E is really good for menopausal symptoms...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 16:41

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 330/285/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 28%

OK - here's my menopause story. I went through menopause about 4 years ago with no trouble: no symptoms, no hot flashes. My periods just gradually stopped. I started low-carbing several months ago and have lost about 30 pounds -- and in July I had a period and 25 days later another one in August. Some people have said my fat cells released estrogen they were storing. I'm waiting to see if this continues. Weird, isn't it?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 18:13

Stats: 244/226/155 Female 5 Foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Emmalou,
I had my last period in February then low and behold a few weeks ago it decides to pay me another visit.I sure was surprised since that was the longest I had gone without my monthly.Really thought I was in menopause but wasn't having any of the symptoms except for warm weather bothering me.I believe my internal thermostat is set a few notches higher now.
I started low carbing in January.Had my period in January then a month later in February then waited till August for another one.Now I am wondering if and when it will make another appearance.I'm 52 but soon to be 53 in another month.

I have also wondered if low carbing has made a difference in my periods at this stage of my life.

Nancy
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 15:26

Stats: 250/232/160 Female 5'0"
BF:48%
Progress:

I'm 49 and my last period was beginning of August so I have officially skipped my first month ever since I began puberty! No flashes, nothing weird at all just no period and actually if any thing I feel better!
Still I went to see my gyn just in case and he explained to me that menopause is not an event, it usually takes 4-5 years for the body to cease altogether, hence the intermittent periods. I guess I'll just carry a pad with me.
I have been on many a diet in my life, it just seems to get slower and slower the weight loss as I get older, but I guess it still can be done, I'm hoping anyway, been on Atkins since Jan 03, lost 25, and am currently on a lovely plateau, out in a desert somewhere.
thanks for sharing!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 16:16

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

My menopause "story":

In 1994, I weighed about 200#. I was 50 years old and hadn't had a period in almost 2 years.

I decided that I was going to "change my life" at 50, so I filed for (and got) a divorce, and went to an acupuncturist for weight loss (who started me low-carbing along with acupuncture treatments). I lost about 10 pounds the first week, then fell into a pattern of 2 pounds lost each week. I also had one last period??? (the acupuncturist said that wasn't all that uncommon as the body readjusts itself).

I lost my excess weight -- got down to 117# (probably too low for my 5'7", but I loved it -- everything I tried on looked good!). And I "lost" a bad marriage -- was that ever wonderful!

Now I am remarried (quite happily) and the weight has crept back up (151# this AM) -- maybe being happy makes you gain weight? I've had no more periods, never had any menopause symptoms -- though I did take HRT for a couple of months (and promptly gained about 10#, decided they weren't worth it!). It's fairly obvious that my hormone level is falling (face starting to wrinkle, knees bothering me) but all-in-all, quite healthy....

Bonnie
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 08:00

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default meno

I'm 55 and haven't had a period in about a year and a half. I think I'm finally there and I love it. I still feel a little flashy now and then but I love the fact that I no longer have hormone fluctuations - I feel the same every day! Since I started low carbing and now lift weights and walk, I feel healthier and stronger than I have in years.
I used a low dose patch for a few months about five years ago and had to suffer through a couple of years of very heavy periods but am glad I never had to resort to taking hormones. The main thing I learned was that if you find something that makes you feel better, it will only work for a few months. The whole menopausal time is made up of ups and downs.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 11:37

Plan: Medical Weight Loss Center
Stats: 238/220/175 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I'm 50 and going thru the menopausal roller coaster HARD! Hot flashes, mood swings, DEPRESSION, anti-social behavior...been miserable now for about a year. Started some HRT last year which helped a little; then things started to slide downhill again so went back to the doctor and she prescribed something different (Progesteron and Estrogen combo) I have no family history of strokes or heart attacks so I'm going for it. I've also gained 25 or so pounds in this last year so I'm trying the Atkins program. Have been for 3 months now and have lost maybe 8 lbs (on a good day) my weight tends to fluctuate wildly from one week to the next...unfortunately all the fluctuations are mostly in the wrong direction...few are in the downhill direction..I've started walking on my treadmill this week (15 x 2 day) and I'm hotter than a pistol when I get off...the sweats are somewhat controlled by the HRT's so I'm not so "red-faced" when they hit...I still get a few at night. So then I'm tired most of the time..Have problems sleeping...oh well...enuf of that. I know it's gotta get better...can't get any worse.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Bernstein/general LC
Stats: 170/155/133 Female 5'1 1/4"
BF:31.5%/28.5%/24.8%
Progress: 41%
Cool Short story, except...

I'm 57 and my last period was five years ago. Last ones were a few months apart, maybe a trickle, and then a flood! . The very last time happened while I was replacing the receptionist at work in August of 98. Fortunately the skirt I was wearing dried in a jiffy with the hand-dryer in the ladies' room and the small fan on my desk took care of the chair

Never had hot flashes, related to menopause that is, only to food, especially carbs which push blood sugar levels up for a diabetic. So low-carbing pretty much takes care of that. Bouts of fatigue, weight gain, lack of sleep, and other ailments are related to a slow thyroïd, which is now being corrected by synthroid.

For a great number of women, thyroid functions slow down with age. It might be worth your while to check into that, Soslusue. You can find a lot of information and great advice in these forums. I've subscribed to the diabetes threads as well as the thyroid ones. It might be wise not to assume that all problems are caused by menopause.

Mariejoe, this thread is a great idea

Bye for now

Denyse
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 07:20

Plan: Medical Weight Loss Center
Stats: 238/220/175 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi Amika! Thanks for mentioning my issues...I have had my thryoid checked annually (always hoping that "might" be the problem) since both my mother and sister have been diagnosed for underactive thyroid. But mine always comes back within the normal range. It's soooo frustrating! I've had my blood glucose tested and all that stuff and always I come back normal. For a heavy woman I have really low cholesterol (159) and low blood pressure...always in the 120 or 1-teen ranges over the 60's or 70's. But then my family also has no cholesterol or blood pressure issues...strange about genetics huh? They were all seriously overweight people too...I saw a family photo one time with my uncles (5 of them) and my mom and grandparents all lined up in a row...and every one of them was Overweight - big bellies on the men and big hips/thighs/bellies on the women...woe with us all. And now I'm in the fight of my life at 50 trying to get down out of the 200's...it's been a lifelong fight and now it's harder than ever...I used to find some success with calorie restrictive diets (Weight Watcher's and some others) and lots of exercise...but I honestly don't have the stuff anymore for all that calorie sacrificing in addition to all that exercise (I mean an hour a day of aerobics). Best I can do now is walking and using the treadmill.

Thanks for your words of encouragement...no harm in asking my doc for another thyroid test (I have great medical insurance so all the tests are covered).
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 10:04

Stats: 175/125/115 Female 5'
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 83%

Hi all, I am 52 I think my last TOM was 4 years ago, LOL just something I don't care if I remember or not. I didn't take HRT but did have some rather warm hot flashes. I began taking 1800 mg. of vitamine E, the maximum recommended amount. That pretty much took care of the hot flashes. They didn't completely go away but were much easier to bear. I just didn't want to take HRT at all. After about 2 years. I dropped the vitamine E back down to normal supplemental levels, the amount in the Atkins Basic #3.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 12:41
Registered Member

Stats: 170/170/128 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

oh so slosue im with you im 53 still having periods very heavy and painful dr said nothing wrong main concern i have suffered intermittent anxiety for 20yrs,but now there back with a vengence all the symptoms you have would love to know from other ladies will i ever feel normal again or will i ever stop menses