Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 02:44

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 242/242/175 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Red face Anyone with Hashi's that successful lost wt?

I have been struggling with a thyroid problem for about 7 years that I know of, first we thought it was depression (thyroid tests kept coming back normal) and after anti-depressants didn't work, I gave up on those. Well then about 5 years ago I gained 80lbs. I took off about 15lbs. since being on thyroid medication two years ago and need to lose at least another 60. I low carb (Suzanne Somers) and I cannot lose any weight unless I exercise 5-6 days a week for about an hour a day.

I have a thyroid that tends to swing from hyper to hypo and I take T3 and T4 medication.

The most weight I can lose thru diet and exercise is about 3 to 3 1/2 lbs a month. I do it for about 2 months, then get sick and stop for a few months.

Does anyone have any thyroid...and lowcarb weight loss success stories? I guess I may need some encouragement!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 10:39
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi bablondie2:

I can't give you a success story b/c I'm in the middle of getting the right dosage. But I wanted to ask you if it's possible that you are still undermediated?
Do you have your last FT3 and FT4 lab results with their ranges that you could post?

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 19:10

Plan: Rosedale Diet
Stats: 179/175/120 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

I went 19 years undiagnosed with Hashimoto's autoimmune hypothyroidism. I kept going to doctors with the symptoms, but the standard thyroid tests don't detect it. Anyway, 5 years on Synthroid helped me lose a few pounds (while dieting, of course), but after that, not an ounce. I have low pituitary, too.

But I've just started, so can't tell you what to expect. Just wanted you to know you're not alone in the hashi's.

-VeggyKaren
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 03:28

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 242/242/175 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, VeggieKaren for the support.

To Wcollier: I My FT3 and FT4 were last in the mid-range. My TSH was lagging, it was 2.8 and I worked on it to get it down under one again. Usually, tho I tend towards the hyper side (with hypo symptoms) like I'll be a .23 often and I only take 62.5 mcgs of Unithroid and 1.25 mcgs. of Cytomel.

I don't think I"m undermedicated, but ever since I went really hyper a year in a half ago for several weeks, it made me intolerant med increases (even the tiniest amount), it's weird.

I thought about trying some Armour with my Unithroid, I think I may go that route. Anyway, I never seem to find that "pefect dose" altho I'll go like months feeling 90% better (I'm not sure if anyone w/a thyroid condition ever feels 100% again?) and that's pretty good for me...then I get SAD in winter, or my meds don't work as good or something happens like a swing ( I have a bit of a goiter, too)

Ugh! So I will take off 10 lbs here or there, and put on 5lbs here or there, it's like a minirollercoaster. I would like to just continually feel good and keep my weight off!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 10:48
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Blondie (hope you don't mind the nickname)

I'm no expert, but one thing keeps jumping out at me. Adrenals. Is it possible that you also have adrenal fatigue that prevents you from upping your meds? Most women do well in the upper 1/3 range for FT3 and FT4s. Could it be possible that you can't tolerate anymore b/c your adrenals can't handle it?

You might think about getting a 4pt cortisol saliva test done, which measures cortisol levels 4 times throughout the day. It's more accurate than a blood test. If your adrenals are low, you'll need to supplement with adrenal glandulars or Cortef, a low dose hydrocortisone.

Here's a link to a site that you may find interesting. It might help you determine if adrenals are also an issue for you. http://www.drrind.com/scorecardmatrix.asp

Based on your first post, it sounds like you have Hashi's. Is that correct? Nat has Hashi's so I'm sure she can give you more insight than I can.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Thu, Dec-09-04 at 12:45.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-09-04, 11:35

Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%

I have been very satisfied with using Armour Thyroid--very large doses and a compounded formula T3 supplement.

I go to a doctor who treats this a lot. . .I also take bio identical hormones. . .I am post menapausal. . .which the doctor has compounded, as Suzanne Somers recommends. . .

Finally, I take another compounded thing called cortisol. . .as you have read, about the fatigued adrenal. . .stuff. . .

It was slow, and I lost my way a couple of times, but after the doctor told me ALL carbs were poison for my Hashi's. . .I got with it.

Anyway, maybe you could find a doctor like mine who really gets with the program on treating the disease.

I never thought I would weigh what I do now, and I think I will get to my new goal of 120--down 110 lbs. But in the meantime loosing 89 lbs feels darn good!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-10-04, 11:06

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Bablondie, I'm with Wanda on this - have you had your cortisol levels checked? An undiagnosed adrenal problem would make treating your thyroid troublsome; it might make you feel worse at times.

Are you still showing antibodies? Hashi's patients can experience both hypo and hyper symtoms because of the nature of the disease; the antibodies attack the very mechanism by which your thyroid makes hormones so few get out into your body. When the antibodies 'take a break' your thyroid continues pumping out hormones at the same level and you can become hyper for periods of time.

I'd focus primarily on my FTs and not my TSH, as well. Once you start taking meds TSH isn't important and it shouldnt be used to determine doseage; you do that based on FTs. The more I think about it the more I think "adrenal fatigue", frankly.

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I have had HT for about 12 years and have tried every diet on the planet with no success. I keep trying again and again and nothing, nada, zip. I lose a little and then it stops. Also I have a terrible time with consitpation when I low carb. I take synthroid and it doesn't seem to help even though the Dr. keeps raising the dosage. I have actually gained 55 lbs. SINCE first being diagnosed and getting on thyroid harmones. Sometimes I don't even see the use in taking the harmones, except I get a goiter if I don't. I am SOOOOOO frustrated.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 18:28
Mad Scientist

BF:

Fluffy, do you have your latest thyroid labs? Maybe you can post them for us to look at. Ideally, you should have your Free T3 and Free T4s tested, but I'm going to guess that you haven't had them tested. If you don't have your current results, you can call your doctor's office to get them. You have a right to your tests.

It's very likely that you aren't on the right medications for your lab values. When things are settled, you are supposed to be able to lose weight like a regular person. *Supposed to*

Wanda
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 18:30

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Fluffy - only Synthroid? As I recall, that has no T3 in it. You might want to ask your doc about adding some T3 to your meds.

Cheers,

Friday
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 19:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/247.4/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Hi and thanks to all for such a great discussion on Hashi. I have just been to my OB for a second blood test to confirm Hashi's or not...at her suggestion (good sign so far). What tests should I inisist upon and what should the ranges be for a woman age 44 pre-menopause? I'm going to check out some of the doc web sites you all suggest to find one in my area. Thanks!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 07:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMac
Hi and thanks to all for such a great discussion on Hashi. I have just been to my OB for a second blood test to confirm Hashi's or not...at her suggestion (good sign so far). What tests should I inisist upon and what should the ranges be for a woman age 44 pre-menopause? I'm going to check out some of the doc web sites you all suggest to find one in my area. Thanks!!

The ranges for all women for FTs are in the upper 3rd, as long as you're heart healthy (this means no murmmurs or skipped beats, or anything more serious, which is why older women [60++] generally tend to do better with their FTs in the middle of the range).

If you're definitely pre-menopausal you also want to have the doctor check your estrogen and progesterone. If it turns out you're hypoT then it's also likely that your progesterone is very low and estrogen is high; thryoid hormone and progesterone are antoginists to estrogen, and when one of the two is low the other is either low, or getting low and estrogen tends to be high. This makes it harder to fix the thyroid issue, and harder to lose weight (estrogen is the fat storing hormone).

The tests you absolutely want for thyroid health are FT4 and FT3. That is "Free T", not just Total T3 or Total T4 (your body can only use hormones that are Free, so the total really doesn't give you the whole picture).

For Hashi's you want the Tg and TPO antibody test. These can pretty much tell you if you've got autoimmune thyroid disease, but they aren't 100% - you need a biopsy for that (but the antibody tests are usually sufficient).

You'll probably get a TSH test as well, it's unavoidable. If you do have this test done I would recommend you have your blood drawn as early as possible - TSH has a very short half life and it falls quickly, the later in the day you have this test done the lower the number will be.

HTH
Nat
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 02:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187/171/130 Female 173 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Yes, I lost weight with Hashimotos

Hi,
Yes I have lost a lot of weight with hashimotos by doing Atkins (22 pounds) in the past. Unfortunately I reverted to my old high carb ways following a very stressful period at work and the break down of a relationship.
I'm sad to say that not only did I put all the weight back on, but another 22 pounds on top! I was so embarrassed and annoyed with myself!!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I am really keen to hear from anyone that has managed to get weight off with Hashi's and actually keep it off???

I am 29 years old and I have had Hashi's for at least four years that I know of (when it was first diagnosed) but possibly had the disease for two years before that. My medication is now at the right level, but since the age of 25 have developed a weight problem.
Prior to being treated for hashi's, I was a very fit, very thin person, weighing about 130 pounds. I was also a keen runner.
I have kept up the running, and my cardio fitness is still reasonable, but even if I ran 5kms per day, I would not lose weight unless I eat the right food.
I am now back on a low carb, sensible eating plan and I am pleased to say that since mid January I have once again lost about 11 pounds.
The first week of cleansing your system means you feel a bit grotty and headachey, but after that it is smooth sailing.
This time around I have been using other tools to help with motivation and because I am mindful of repeating my yo yo diet experience.
I use ketostix to check that I am burning fat (see atkins)
I use a hypnosis/meditation CD (Glenn Harold called Lose Weight Now I think) which I listen to before falling asleep.
I have also been consulting a chinese herbalist to fine tune my digestive system and get rid of inflammation (probably caused by stress).
Also, I now realise that exercise for me is non-negotiable and that putting in a hour a day is just something that I am going to have to do every day for the rest of my life.
So, I've decided that it will have to be part of my routine like eating dinner, or showering.
Being a tv addict, I've hired a treadmill and I now 'walk' during the news or my favourite tv show. A walking treadmill is pretty inexpensive and doesn't take up that much space in your home. I am also a 'stress and boredom' eater from way back and I tend to indulge in the evenings, so that is when I use the treadmill.
Hopefully this time I will get the weight off and keep it off ...
Can anyone help with stories or experiences that will provide additional motivation.