Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-24, 07:08

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Revealed: Weight loss jabs like Ozempic have been linked to TWENTY deaths in Britain

Revealed: Weight loss jabs like Ozempic have been linked to TWENTY deaths in Britain

More than a third of all 20 fatalities were associated with cardiac disorders

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...hs-Britain.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-24, 13:12

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm trying to remind myself that "association is not causation".

Still - they'd need to know whether or not the conditions already existed, if existing conditions were exacerbated by the drugs, or if previously non-existent conditions were flat out caused by the drugs.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-24, 03:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
...they'd need to know whether or not the conditions already existed, if existing conditions were exacerbated by the drugs, or if previously non-existent conditions were flat out caused by the drugs.

Deaths happen in large populations all the time, of course. But the headline suggests these were the ones they could directly link. And I'm guessing of course there were risk factors.

Unless the people were taking it to lose 20 "vanity pounds" which would not surprise me either. And it's unlikely such a person actually is baseline healthy, or they would have already lost those pounds in a sensible manner. We now know that even thin people are suffering from the SAD. They can eat calorie-restricted junk and maybe it keeps them thin. Never worked for me -- insulin resistance locked those pounds away while I tried to live on 1200 low fat calories with very little protein.

I think it's this same simplistic thinking that creates "learned helplessness" about losing weight. I actually sympathize with the "fat activists" who are trying to normalize their condition, because they are rightly baffled that they can't lose weight "even if I starve myself!"

Because yes, that can happen. I suffered with it for years. Corporatism has invaded people's heads and it doesn't matter what science says, it matters how it can be twisted for people who no longer know what to believe, and can't -- competently -- use real science. They wait for "companies" to package their lives for them.

Oh, we've discovered protein is a magic macro? Great! Here's your snacks and plants, people!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-24, 04:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Also, these are the people who actually perished.

I've been in the comments section of Youtube discussions. Over and over, hidden in the burble about the effortless way they are losing weight for the first time in their lives... someone pops up with a different, but also a repeated, experience.

Success (for as long as 18 months, in one account,) but then a sudden crisis, weeks in the ICU, and the doctors "finally got their digestion to work again." And if it doesn't work, it's still medically possible to keep them alive by other means, if they were otherwise "healthy."

But either way, I don't think they are as healthy as before. Worst case is still someone else is controlling their blood sugar, for them. Would such a sad outcome as this one still go on the books as a win for the drug? Instead of a terrible adverse event caused by it?

SO early, and yet I sense this will be another famous pharma disaster. Merck settled all Vioxx-related litigation for $4.8 billion... because it was suppressed for so long. The people who died from it were easily and then deliberately overlooked because I think, at first, they were already cardiac patients taking it for arthritis. They suppressed the bad news long enough to roll out a big ad campaign and sell a bunch.

But even in 1997, ONE proven death was enough to pull Phen-Fen, and it was given to otherwise healthy people. While the Ozempic group is being promoted as a life-saving drug... and so, the risk is put on the patient. In the "if you aren't dead you are better off" kind of way.

This affects the world, because it is Big Pharma and they set the rules now. It used to be a stricter process, where new drugs were filtered into the most needy patients, often in research hospitals, and monitored, as the second stage of testing it was meant to be.

Now it's PRODUCT and they are allowed to advertise. Which is, was, and will be a bad idea, because this isn't a consumer item and must not be treated as such.