Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-03, 22:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/149/150
BF:13
Progress: 105%
Default TOP 5 foods that make it all possible

Hey folks - i was just going through my low carb food cabinet, and realized that there are certain foods that make my low carb diet possible, and that im not certain i could low carb without.
Id like to share those 5 items with you, and see what your top 5 are - this is not intended to advertise for any company, i wouuld just like to get a feel for what you feel is critical to your diet

Heres mine, lets here yours

1. La Tortilla factory wraps - only 3g's of carbs per wrap, finally sandwiches! Tuna, steak strips, its all possible now

2. Flax=o=meal hot cereals = finaly, oatmeal style breakfast with just 1 g of carbs

3. Cheeters crackers - 1g per slice, these crackers are finally what i have been looking for, something dry, crunchy, and oh yes, tasty! the cinnamon flavor is great

4. Sugar Free Jelly belly jelly beans! hehe, i have a huge sweet tooth, and every now and then ill have 5-10 jelly beans, it really keeps me goin, and only 1-3 effective per 20 pieces

5. Eas myoplex low carb bars - the only low carb bars i have found that taste really good - the only bar that dosent have that tell-tale thick inside thats the same in all low carb bars,, its actually soft, and very tasty,, my favorites are the blueberry and apple cinnamon - only 3g per bar (by the way, they normally cost $2 a bar, wal mart is selling a 6 pack for $5.85 - great deal!)

Well thats mine, so please contribute yours! maybe it will help us all find new stuff to keep us goin

thanks!
yossi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 07:36

Plan: my own
Stats: 291/288/160
BF:
Progress: 2%

Thanks for the suggestions,I just started today low carbing,was wondering what kind of beverages you can drink.Any more ideas would be appreciated too.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 08:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/134/125
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default 5 ingredients that I enjoy always having on hand

I have a real sweet tooth, so here it is.
1-Ross chocolate Bars-Dark-only 1carb
2-Low Carb Chefs "Plain Good" Crackers- 6 crackers only 1 carb - I take these to resturants and puts lots of butter on them. They serve as my bread and are wonderful tasting.
3-Judy's sugar Free Caramels - any flavor - there all good
4- Irean's white bread - taste like the real thing
5- Pleasantville Cookie Companys Cookie Mix - I make my own almond cookies and freeze them. I eat one a day at 3 carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 08:06

BF:
Default beverage to drink

Quote:
Originally posted by WindFlower
Thanks for the suggestions,I just started today low carbing,was wondering what kind of beverages you can drink.Any more ideas would be appreciated too.

I drink Fruit H20 - they have many flavors and zero carbs. You can get it at CVS stores, Sams CLub and I think Walmart
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 08:47
Registered Member

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 290/290/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default uk ideas

was reading all your tips and was wondering if anyone out there had any items that could be found in the uk to help....especailly with the sweet tooth
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 62/58/54
BF:
Progress: 50%

Flossie,
Check out the following sites: www.carblife.com, www.lowcarbmegastore.com, http://www.sugarlite.co.uk/ aal based in the Uk.
good luck,
Kati
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 12:07

Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Default Hi mandelayba

mandelayba/neighbor:

I'm in NC as well. Chapel Hill to be exact. Came here from NY 3 years ago, been low carbing since October 2002. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello!

Kim

P.S. Where do you buy those items that you say you always have on hand? I'd certainly like to get some of those. Whole Foods Stores/Wellspring by chance?

Last edited by Yank_in_NC : Wed, Jan-15-03 at 12:09.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 12:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: TOP 5 foods that make it all possible

Quote:
Originally posted by yossi
i wouuld just like to get a feel for what you feel is critical to your diet
  • 1. Water (from the tap usually)
    2. Chicken breasts
    3. Cottage cheese
    4. Sirloin (roast or steak, I'm easy!)
    5. Sweet potatoes

And of course my supplements! (Cal/Mag, Potassium, Multi-vitamin, B Complex, Vit E&C, psyllium and glutamine)

If I had an unlimited supply of all these I could survive on a desserted island forever!

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 12:28

BF:
Default yank in NC

We have a low carb store in Cary and there is also one in Raleigh. It's call Dlites. They have the best low carb ice cream. Only one carb per oz. They also sell everything else there. I do buy my Ross Chocolate bars at CVS.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 12:31

Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Question Sweet Potatoes?

Nat:

How many carbs are in sweet potatoes?

Kim
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 12:34
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I love the Ross Dark Chocolates and the Carbolite peanut butter cups frozen BUT they stall my weightloss (all the hidden carbs) so I look forward to them during maintenance.

My 5 fav foods would be:

shrimp salad (w/ lots of mayo and celery)
raw red pepper w/ cream cheese and salt
pepperoni chips
macadamian nuts and pecans
cocoa fluff (1 oz cream cheese, 1 oz heavy cream, tsp cocoa, 1 splenda)
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 12:45

BF:
Default Brown Sugar Twin

Does anyone know where to buy brown sugar twin? I don't have my carb book with me so I can't tell you how many carbs there are in a sweet potatoe.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 12:56

BF:

Quote:
How many carbs are in sweet potatoes?
'Bout 24g per 1/2 cup.

There's a carb counter on this site under "Low Carb Tools" and there's a very extensive thread on this forum on buying Canadian Brown Sugar Twin (and regular Canadian sugar twin) online - just put Brown Sugar Twin into the search tool with my username and you'll pull it up.

Nat
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 13:01

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Brown sugar twin

I bought my Brown Sugar Twin from my local No Frills Supermarket so it is probably available in most grocery stores as they dont carry anything exotic at No Frills.

Akiwican

P.S. My vote goes for the whole, natural foods as my favourite low carb foods
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 13:07

BF:
Default Re: Brown sugar twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Akiwican
I bought my Brown Sugar Twin from my local No Frills Supermarket so it is probably available in most grocery stores as they dont carry anything exotic at No Frills.
yep, Les, but that's for us Canucks. In the USA Sugar Twin is not made with cyclamates (it's made with saccharine I believe) and it can't be cooked / baked with. To get the Canadian version you either have to take a trip across the border or do a little online shopping. (Or know someone here willing to ship it over!)

Nat