Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-01, 12:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/116/100
BF:
Progress:
Default Ripped Fuel

A friend of mine told me about this product called Ripped Fuel, it's "metabolic enhancer" and the bottles says it contains the following ingredients:

Chromium 200mcg
(from chromium picolnta)

Mahuang extracts (from arial parts) 334 mg
(standardized for 20mg ephedra alkkoloids)

Guarana Seed Extract 910mg

L-camatine 100mg

Has anyone used this? I have no idea what any of this stuff is or what it is supposed to do to your body. I hate to take it untill I know what the heck it is.

If someone could translate this stuff into plain English I would be very appreciative

Thanks, Tina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-01, 15:18

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Exclamation get rippin'

Ripped Fuel is another one of the many herbal combinations of the classic ephedrine/caffeine/aspirin stacks.

It is in the same class as: Xenadrine, Hydroxycut, Thermadrene, Ultimate Orange, Beta-Lean ... as well as just doing it the old school way of popping a 20mg ephedrine hcl tab, a 200mg caffeine tab (Vivarin, etc.), and a baby aspirin.

You must be VERY careful to read the bottle before purchasing/using any ephedrine based product, as certain health conditions can be made worse if ephedrine (or any stimulant for that matter) is consumed. Off the top of my head, I would say high blood pressure, thyroid disorders, heart diesase, diabetes, hypogyclemia ... hmm ... there's a few more. Just read the bottle.

On the plus side, it is one of the most effective supplements that can help with the early weight loss that is critical for motivation during a weight loss program. It has been studied extensively for safety and effectiveness ... high marks for this ephedrine/caffeine/aspirin combo (also called ECA stack).

Now for some long winded background ....

- Ephedrine is an alkaloid (bitter organic base) found in various plant species of Ephedra, also called Ma Huang. Ephedrine is useful because it acts as a nasal decongestant, a central nervous system stimulant and as a treatment for bronchial asthma.

- Ephedrine has been shown to be very effective in elevating body temperature which can help you achieve your weight loss goals. It is not advisable to exceed 75 mg per day, taken in three divided doses.

- Ephedrine is a beta-adrenergic agonist. What that means is that it acts like adrenelin (adrenergic) in your body. However, it only acts on alpha receptors. Because of ephedrine's adrenalin-like pioperties it is very thermogenic which means that it causes your body to generate heat, which will in turn cause you to burn more calories.

Studies? OK ... It's a lot of scientific mumbo jumbo, but I put smileys at the key points if you wanna scroll down to them ...

Title: The effect and safety of an ephedrine/caffeine compound compared to ephedrine, caffeine and placebo in obese subjects on an energy restricted diet. A double blind trial.

Author(s): Astrup A Breum L Toubro S Hein P Quaade F

Journal: Int-J-Obes-Relat-Metab-Disord. 1992 Apr; 16(4): 269-77 1992

Abstract: The sympathomimetic agent ephedrine has potent thermogenic and anti-obesity properties in rodents. The effect is markedly enhanced by caffeine, while caffeine given alone has no effect. This study was undertaken to find out if a similar weight reducing synergism between ephedrine and caffeine is present in obese patients.

In a randomized, placebo-controlled, double blind study, 180 obese patients were treated by diet (4.2 MJ/day) and either an ephedrine/caffeine combination (20mg/200mg), ephedrine (20 mg), caffeine (200 mg) or placebo three times a day for 24 weeks. Withdrawals were distributed equally in the four groups, and 141 patients completed the trial.

Mean weight losses was significantly greater with the combination than with placebo from week 8 to week 24 (ephedrine/caffeine, 16.6 +/- 6.8 kg vs. placebo, 13.2 +/- 6.6 kg (mean +/- s.d.), P = 0.0015).

Weight loss in both the ephedrine and the caffeine groups was similar to that of the placebo group.

Side effects (tremor, insomnia and dizziness) were transient and after eight weeks of treatment they had reached placebo levels. Systolic and diastolic blood pressure fell similarly in all four groups.

We conclude, that in analogy with animal studies, the ephedrine/ caffeine combination is effective for the treatment of human obesity.

----

Title: The effect of chronic ephedrine treatment on substrate utilization, the sympathoadrenal activity, and energy expenditure during glucose-induced thermogenesis in man.

Author(s): Astrup A Madsen J Holst JJ Christensen NJ

Journal: Metabolism. 1986 Mar; 35(3): 260-5 1986 0026-0495

Abstract: Chronic ephedrine treatment of man has recently been found to enhance the thermogenic response to an acute dose of ephedrine.

Conceivably, this sensitization to beta-adrenergic stimulation might also affect the facultative component of diet-induced thermogenesis. The glucose-induced thermogenesis (GIT) was studied in five healthy female subjects after 3 months of chronic peroral ephedrine treatment.

Similar experiments 3 months after cessation of treatment served as controls.

During chronic ephedrine treatment a sustained 10% elevation of the metabolic rate was found compared to that in the control study. Plasma epinephrine levels were increased 87% during treatment. These increases tended to be positively correlated (r = 0.54, P less than 0.07). GIT expressed as a percentage of the ingested energy load was unaltered during chronic ephedrine treatment compared with that in the control study (9.0% v 8.9%).

The respiratory quotient (RQ) indicate that relatively more lipid was oxidized during chronic ephedrine treatment than in the control study. This change was observed in the fasting state as well as after glucose administration.

Certain effects of ephedrine seems to be appropriate to a thermogenic drug for the treatment of obesity:

A single dose of ephedrine stimulates thermogenesis, an effect that is enhanced during chronic treatment; Chronic treatment elevates the metabolic rate; and The substrate utilization is changed in favor of lipid oxidation. (otherwise know as "fat burning")

----
Title: Effects of chronic administration of ephedrine during very-low-calorie diets on energy expenditure, protein metabolism and hormone levels in obese subjects.

Author(s): Pasquali R Casimirri F Melchionda N Grossi G Bortoluzzi L Morselli Labate AM Stefanini C Raitano A

Journal: Clin-Sci-Colch. 1992 Jan; 82(1): 85-92 1992 0143-5221

Abstract:

1. We investigated the effects of the chronic administration of a sympathomimetic agent on energy expenditure, protein metabolism and levels of thyroid hormones and catecholamines in 10 obese subjects after a 6-week very-low-calorie-diet programme (1965 kJ, 60 g of protein, 45 g of carbohydrates).

L-(-)- Ephedrine hydrochloride (50 mg three times a day by mouth) or placebo were administered during 2-week periods (weeks 2-5 of the VLCD programme) in a randomized, double-blind, cross-over design. Five subjects began with ephedrine and five with placebo.

2. The results were analysed separately in the two groups. No difference was found between them as regards weight loss during the very-low-calorie diet and drug treatments.

Conversely, ephedrine therapy induced a significantly lower daily urinary excretion of nitrogen (and, consequently, a better nitrogen balance) with respect to placebo, independently of the drug sequence. Daily urinary levels of 3-methylhistidine during ephedrine and placebo treatments were similar.

The fasting resting metabolic rate (oxygen consumption, ml STP/min) fell significantly during the very-low-calorie diet in both groups, but this effect was partially and significantly prevented by administration of ephedrine.

(This study shows that ephedrine by itself doesn't really help with weight loss, but it will help you maintain positive nitrogen balance, which is critical for keeping muscle mass during dieting. Trust me it's a good thing ... SO ... If you take ephedrine be sure to take it with caffeine. Most products come mixed that way. Caffeine is also known as guarana.)

Last edited by Trainerdan : Sat, Jun-23-01 at 15:29.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-01, 18:49

BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you

First of all let me say thank you for replying to my post. That had to take some time (no matter how fast you type LOL). I read every word in the Studies... scientific mumbo jumbo included!

I do have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

I noticed that when I took the Ripped Fuel today my allergies didn't bother me as much, as a matter of fact I usualy have to take a benadryl every 4 hours (per doctors instructions) and I didn't have to take any today. Could it be the Ephedrine? I noted that you said Ephedrine is traditonaly used as a nasal decongestent, so I am guessing thats where it came from.

My friend gets a much better "energy high" from this product (I swear its like she is on crack or something...bouncing of the walls and talking a mile a minute)....however she does not drink caffine and I on the other hand drink about 10 cups of coffee a day. Does Ephedrine have a different effect on different ppl or is it the caffine that is making her hyper?

I know this is going to be a dumb question so please don't laugh at me, but does thermogenic mean the same thing as a fever? Or is it a different kind of body heat. Ok OK I said it was dumb

Thanks again for all the info it was very interesting. As a matter of fact I am going to go read it a third time!

Tina
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 05:26

Quote:
Could it be the Ephedrine? I noted that you said Ephedrine is traditonaly used as a nasal decongestent, so I am guessing thats where it came from.

Yep, that's probably it. Next time you look at the side of a box of cold medication you will probably find PSEUDO-ephedrine as the main ingredient. It's not the same for fat loss, but it "opens you up" so you can breathe. The "real" ephedrine used to be in there, but people were abusing it.

Quote:
Does Ephedrine have a different effect on different ppl or is it the caffine that is making her hyper?

If you're body is used to a high caffeine intake, you will not feel as "hyper" as someone who doesn't take in caffeine. (I should also add that the "hyper" is just a side effect and will go away in a few weeks)

Each one of those doses of ripped fuel has 200mg caffeine in it. That's alot if your body isn't used to it. Which reminds me, by the way, avoid your coffee within 4 hours of a Ripped Fuel dose to avoid "overstimualtion".

Quote:
but does thermogenic mean the same thing as a fever? Or is it a different kind of body heat.

Hmmm ... good one, but a fever is the body's defense for killing off infections. Even though thermogenesis will make you feel hotter and raise body temperature the same as a fever, it will only go so high. You won't be getting a 101 degree Ripped Fuel induced thermogenic response. You probably will feel hot though.

Sometimes when I am on an ECA based product I throw off heat like a blast furnace. Fern makes fun of me because of it.

Hope I answered your questions ...

P.S. ... I am from Audubon, NJ
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 08:13

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

dan, that's such an informative report! that was so kind of you to take the time to type it all! thanks for all your support dan!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 08:26

BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you

You are so right about the caffine, bc a couple of weeks after she started taking the Ripped Fuel she called and said "this stuff isn't working anymore. Do you think I should take more of it?" Well since I didn't even know what it was at taht time, I told her "No, your body probably just got used to it, don't take more just stop taking it all together for a few weeks and give your body a rest, then try it again" Now that I read what you said about not exceeding the recommended amount I'm glad I told her that. People (myself included) don't realize that even though something is sold "over the counter" it can be dangerous.

To be honest I bought the bottle bc I was looking for a legal way to get some energy. We are moving from one side of Cherry Hill to the other and with two kids (10yo and 2yo) and no sugar rush to keep me going....well I am just so wore out.

How do you know fern? She is the greatest isn't she?

Audubon, NJ? hmmm...we have only been here a year so I'll have to ask my 10yo where that is (thank God for geography in school hahahaha)

Oh, before I forget...I clicked on your link and went to your site. I got about a hundred "run-time-errors" (not your fault my computer just hates pop-up adds) anyway I just realized that you answer these kind of questions for a living and I have never once saw you brag or try to sell your services....well what I am trying to say is "your a great guy"

Sorry to be so long winded.....have a great weekend!

Tina
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 08:32

BF:
Progress:
Default Debbie

****LOL**** after I posted my reply to Dan I was scrolling up and caught a glimps of you avatar and thought "hey that's Debbie" ....I've only been here a week and already I recognize you.

Is Dan great or what? I mean to take that much time to sit down and explain all that to me and to give me sientific studies to prove his point?

Let's hear it for DAN!!

"Dan! Dan! He's our man! If he can't help you no one can!"

#8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 09:24

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Default Blushing, thanks Tina!

Quote:
Originally posted by tina3869
[BIs Dan great or what? I mean to take that much time to sit down and explain all that to me and to give me sientific studies to prove his point?

Let's hear it for DAN!!

"Dan! Dan! He's our man! If he can't help you no one can!"

[/B]

Ok, now Dan's head is going to get all big and I won't be able to sit in the same room as him!!! Just kidding!

Tina, I am flattered that you think I'm great! And yes, so is Dan! He is my boyfriend so that's how we know each other....
One of the reasons I love him so much is because of the way he loves to help people. (like posting scientific studies and giving info to people from his own personal experiences)

Anyway, Audubon is only like 10 minutes from Cherry Hill!!!

#9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 10:16

BF:
Progress:
Default fern

Well howdy neighbor!!

I din't realize that you two knew each other.... so my compliment about you was genuine as I had no idea you would read that post.

I was just so shocked that he came out of nowhere and took that much time with me. And then to find out that he does this for a living and never once braged about "being an expert" or "if you want further information check out my site" It just a real pleasure to be on this site where people help each other and are so supportive.

I'm sure you and Dan make a great couple as you are both such great people

Btw, I just gotta ask...is his avatar a real picture of him?

Tina
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 10:21

BF:
Default yep, really him!

Tina-
Sure is!! I took that when we got done our CKD. We'll post pics soon of our Hawaii trip and you can see if we really make a cute couple!!! thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 11:00

BF:
Progress:
Default fern

Then you realy are a lucky girl LOL

What is CDK?

Can't wait to see the Hawaii pic's....

Tina
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 13:54

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Wow you mean we finally get to see Dan with his head?

*sowwy I couldn't resist it*
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 14:28

BF:
Default LOL

Yep, agonycat....... unless he makes me cut it off on the picture! Just kidding!

Tina-
A CKD is cyclical ketogenic diet.... if you look in the exercise forum there is a lot of info on the CKD. (and yes, I am very lucky)
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 18:54

Default blushing ...

Wow ...

Well I must be honest, I didn't type all of that. I cut and pasted alot form articles and studies that I have on my hard drive already. But, at one time or another I did type it ... LOL

As for "being an expert", I am not. I learned EVERYTHING I know from reading and researching on the Internet, and getting advice and information from fitness professionals who make me look like a beginner.

At one time or another, someone helped me with questions that I had, so it is only fair that I do the same. That's the beauty of forums like this.

AND, I have been on forums where the "experts" made the "newbies" feel like asking a "beginner" question was the worst thing to do. I never understood that logic, and being the newbie" who got "flamed" before, I would never want anyone to feel that way ...

I think some "experts" forget that at some point in their lives they too were beginners.

I became a personal trainer because I really like to help people. Plus, it is one of the only jobs that:

(1) pays well
(2) you can wear sneakers and shorts and it is EXPECTED of you (3) has a GREAT sense of gratification
(4) you can change people's lives ... evern SAVE lives

The 2 best compliments I ever got from clients were:

#1: "You saved my life. My doctor told me that if I continued the same path I was going on, I would die in a year. I didn't tell you that, but you were the first trainer who took me seriously when I came to you and told you that I needed to lose 100 pounds in a year."

That was my client Sam. He came to me and told me that he wanted to lose the weight and get in shape so he could keep up with his kids who were getting old enough to be involved in sports. Plus, he said that his wife was very fitness oriented and the fact that he didn't take care of humself was coming between him.

Sam didn't lose the 100 pounds, but he did lose 30 lbs and added a lot of muscle. His doctors were amazed at how much his cholesterol and blood pressure dropped. He now regularly does 1 hour on the elliptical trainer.

#2: "If it weren't for my workouts, I would have committed suicide."

George started training with me when he found a great job for an internet company and could finally afford to hire a trainer so he could lose weight and get in shape.

Well, about 3 weeks into our sessions, his girlfriend dumped him ... he took it REALLY hard. Then about 5 days later, the company he worked for went under. UGH!

So, he came to me and told me that he could no longer afford me. Of course, I can't work for free ... but I told him that I work out every day at 2pm and he is more than welcome to follow me around and "do what I do". He did, and lost about 40 pounds.

We became friends, and one day he opened up and told me that he was on the verge on suicide and that the only thing that kept him going day-to-day was that he looked forward to the daily workouts with me.

I had no response for about 30 seconds ... when I could breathe again I said ... "Thanks, but you did it. I was just there everyday. You did the hard part and made a CHOICE to come in."

For me, I have found my dream job. Doctors may be able to cure disease, and treat injuries ... but, I have the ability to STOP it from happening in the first place.

There is no greater satisfaction that having someone say "Thank you" after they have achieved their fitness goals. I just wish I had more pictures of them ... no one ever wants to take a "BEFORE" picture.

OK, that's enough. I am getting choked up. LOL
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-01, 19:01

Default oh ...

Quote:
couple of weeks after she started taking the Ripped Fuel she called and said "this stuff isn't working anymore. Do you think I should take more of it?" Well since I didn't even know what it was at taht time, I told her "No, your body probably just got used to it, don't take more just stop taking it all together for a few weeks and give your body a rest, then try it again"

About this ... the side effect may go away, but the ECA still will work its magic even if you can't "feel it". In fact, the longer you take it, the better. But I would stop taking it after 8 weeks on, then do 4 weeks off.

I know some guys who do 12 weeks on, but they don't take it on weekends. That is one way to go.