Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-09, 08:39

Plan: ketogenic neandrathin
Stats: 254/212/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default anemia and veg low carb?

Anyone here who is 100% veg lc have anemia or problems absorbing iron/B12?
What are you doing for it? Terry
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 23:12

Plan: no white diet
Stats: 136/128/122 Female 166
BF:
Progress: 57%

Almonds , spinach , avocados are all rich in Iron . Iron is very much necessary and required for the stomach to function properly . If your finding that difficult i would suggest you take a multi-vitamin supplement and a similar supplement for iron . And yeah ... don't drink tea after taking iron supplement . Tannins prevent the absorption of Iron .
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-11, 23:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

I was anemic for 10 years without knowing it, blood test confirmed it. Meat is the only type that is hemp iron, absorbed at 100%, spinach, almonds and all other are very poorly absorbed. Most vegetariens are anemic, confirmed by my sport doctor. Red meat is where its at when it comes to iron, and yes do not drink tea when eating foods contain iron.

Oups did not see the vegetarien section.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-11, 10:48

Plan: Which one?
Stats: 309/306/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal31
I was anemic for 10 years without knowing it, blood test confirmed it. Meat is the only type that is hemp iron, absorbed at 100%, spinach, almonds and all other are very poorly absorbed. Most vegetariens are anemic, confirmed by my sport doctor. Red meat is where its at when it comes to iron, and yes do not drink tea when eating foods contain iron.

Oups did not see the vegetarien section.

Some vegetarians are but not most. Especially if you are not vegan. Please tell me of your sports doctors source of information. There are vegans that are not aware of proper diet. They will be deficient over time
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-11, 15:19

Plan: ketogenic neandrathin
Stats: 254/212/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default veg and iron absorption

I needed to have chemo last year for several months and there was a concern re anemia. The hematologist and the oncology dietician both advised me that it was a choice between getting blood transfusions down the road if my count continued to be low, or eating beef, liver and meat sources of iron as the vegetarian sources, even the fortified cream of wheat which has a large percentage of iron, is not as easily absorbed and used by the body. It was a no brainer for me....blood transfusion or beef? Beef won. I also continued to eat spinach and at the time the fortified cream of wheat, beets, egg....but made sure I had grass fed (better efas) beef daily and also drank plenty of water to rebuild those new cells as the old ones were dying off. I did not use green tea or any kind of dairy withing 2 hrs of having an iron rich food as that blocks absorption as you said.
Hope this helps someone who is facing difficult decisions in the present. I am fine now and trusting GOD that all that cancer is behind me. My plan for eating well is as low glycemic as possible as sugars feed the fastest growing cells in our bodies, mainly lc veggies, salads, and as clean a source of beef, poultry and fish that I can find. Less inflammatory in my case than eating grains. Still researching the effect of dairy as I've heard conflicting infor re same. Aiming for "eating the rainbow" of veggies/minimal low gly fruits daily and 7+ servings of that a day....more is better. Also using garlic, onions, and some of the antiinflammatory herbs and spices that have shown to make the terrain of our bodies less cancer friendly and more of a one two punch for any abberant cells trying to find their way in. T
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-11, 17:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you can't properly absorb B12 then get some sublingual methycobalimin B12 tables and let them dissolve under your tongue. They bypass the gut that way.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 16:42
Registered Member

Plan: vegan lowcarb (self-made)
Stats: 178/172/160 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_owl
Some vegetarians are but not most. Especially if you are not vegan. Please tell me of your sports doctors source of information. There are vegans that are not aware of proper diet. They will be deficient over time

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I need to correct some misinformation here. Vegetarian food is not particularly high in iron, just so you know. Vegetarians, don't think that you can be any more lackadaisical about iron intake than a vegan can. A jumbo egg contains just 6% RDA and an ounce of cheese contains ZERO. Are you eating 17 jumbo eggs a day? I hope not.

If you're vegetarian, you need to be eating nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, tofu, spinach, swiss chard, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, cumin seeds and coconut milk. And if you eat any grains or "carby" carbs, oats, amaranth and quinoa are good choices for iron. Tomato paste and crushed tomatoes will also give you a little boost.

Getting enough iron is just as much of a challenge for vegetarians as it is for vegans. Don't trust people that don't know what they're talking about. Don;t be complacent.