Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:20

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Lightbulb BFL Hot Links!

BFL Hot Links – something we’ve been needing in here for a while.

What follows are links to past relevant exercise & nutrition discussions, some are directly related to BFL, others not. I invite everyone to have a look through them, there are some gems that have been burried on the pack pages. All are worth a read, or re-read for some of us!

General BFL

Is Body for Life right for me?

LC & BFL: tips and hints

Questions upon starting – Do I have to eat 6 meals a day?

Getting started – questions

Help with a LC “Free Day”

How we lose BF

Aerobic vs. Anaerobic exercise

Cortisol Undersanding and Management

Post Resistance meal

Caloric intake and BFL

The workouts

Example of pyramid lifting method

Controlled Insulin spike?

Lactic acid and DOMS

20 MAS / HIIT / Guerilla Cardio

Ab bootcamp

Ab Myths

Cardio – more on what is excessive

Figuring out that first workout

Soreness? What about cardio soreness?

Supplements

Is glutamine the same thing as l-glutamine?

Potassium / Calcium / Magnesium rich foods

Creatine while cutting?

Goal setting; BF%, BMI and the scale

Why the scales lie

Leptin

Do you really expect your progress to be all losses?

sacrificing lean mass?

Your body the machine

Volume of fat vs. volume of muscle

Using BF% as your goal

BMI and BF% - the same thing?

General LC

LC and muscle wasting

The Metabolic Advantage explained

How Fat moves about

Gluconeogenesis

Inspiration - Challenge Results

Arnie (C1)

Homegirl (C1)

Itsjoyful (C1)

LisaF (C1)

Marlaine (C1)

Nat (C6)

Nicky Brady (C1)

Yesican (C1)

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:37
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

Oh my goodness, just when I was thinking that I've been spending too much time on the computer, you post this. Now I'm gonna be here for a week. LOL.

Thanks for compiling this Nat. It's terrific!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 12:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

*lol* Arnie, welcome to my world

Too much time, too much time, too much time.....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 13:45

Plan: Restarted LC 8/23/06
Stats: 254/208/175 Female 5'8"
BF: Moo
Progress: 58%

Thanks, Nat!

You're totally my inspiration. I've been reading your journal and I'm so glad you are a self-proclaimed OCD. Your attentiveness to details is answering most of my own OCD questions about starting BFL on LC. On Day 3 now...Rock and Roll! I've also visited your web page and all I have to say to you is...WOW! You should submit your pics to the official challenge and grab some prizes. Really.

All the best,
badgoat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 15:48
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Wow, Nat, thanks for posting this stuff. How did you know that I prayed for something like this in my prayers last night!

LOL, I nearly missed the first day of my challenge today going through some of these links. But I managed to tear myself away. It's about this addiction!!!!

Wanda
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 10:01

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 118/112/105 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I've been having great results following body-for-life by the book, but the diet is making my IBS symptoms worse. Consequently I'm thinking of switching to a low-carb diet but want to keep up the exercise and rest of the plan as much as possible. If any of you can answer any of the following it will help me work out my new diet regime in full so I don't mess it up!!

1) My IBS means I have problems with a lack of vitamins , especially iron and vitamin c, how do you get enough of the latter when cutting out fruit?

2) Do you just cut out the carb portion from each of the 6 meals or do you substitute it with something else/up the fat content of meals? If anyone can show me a sample diet sheet for a BFL day low-carb style I'd really appreciate it.

3) Does it affect your physical performance and can you go low-carb without going into ketosis - last time I did Atkins and went into Ketosis I couldn't keep up my fitness regime and lost alot of performance particularly on the cardio side.

4) Do any of you have problems finding space to fit all the water in - due to my IBS I shouldn't drink with food (should leave 30 mins before and 2 hours after food). If I eat every 3 hours this leaves only a 30 min window to down a load of water - which makes me feel a bit light-headed and swells me up like a balloon - suggestions?

5) (last one promise!) Have any of you made the switch during a 12 week challenge - anytips on how to make the switch and keep up the exercise would be much appreciated.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 19:25

Stats: 161/130.5/132 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:Don't have a clue
Progress: 105%

Solway... are you still doing BFL?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 21:25
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Couple things on IBS: Fish oil and glutamine are not only low-carb and fat-loss friendly, but also GREAT for IBS. Fish oil is anti-inflammatory, and glutamine helps repair the gut.

Iron is in beef (and I think spinach). Vitamin C is in orange peppers, and they are fairly low-carb. And there's always time-release vitamin C supps.

You can do low-carb without going into ketosis. And even if you DO go ultra-low carb, your body gets used to performing on fat after about 2-3 weeks. It's a little humiliating at first, but once you switch over to the different fuel system, you're fine. Just be sure to keep your fats up, especially fibrous fats like avocados. Fats REALLY need to be high - like, 60-70% of total cals. Otherwise, you'll really feel like crap.

Good luck! I've known quite a few people with IBS who have done really well on low-carb high-fat.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 00:44

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 118/112/105 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Thanks for the posts JackieO and built,

I stopped doing BFL a few months ago and am following a training and nutrition program from Global Health and Fitness (global-fitness.com) - the exercise regime is pretty similar but it's more flexible on the nutrition which is more practical for me.

I had to quit low-carbing too as my gut just does not tolerate fats, which as you say are essential for proper ketosis. Instead I eat low-fat, keep my carbs to just 175g per day with lots of protein which works to keep my blood sugar level. I've managed to lose 7 lbs although currently on a bit of a plateau.

A note of caution for any IBS sufferers using fish oils - if you just buy the normal cod liver oil from the health store it is full of toxic metals from the sea, which the fish has tried to eliminate through it's liver. These will just exacerbate IBS. I use a great oil called eskimo 3 which isn't taken from the liver.

Solway
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 08:09
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

I should clarify - when I suggest fish oil, I don't mean fish LIVER oil - I mean fish BODY oil. Fish liver oil is great, too, but it's for vitamin A. Fish BODY oil is for omega 3.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 13:25

Stats: 215/165/145 Female 5'9
BF:26%
Progress: 71%

Hey Built.....just curious what kind of fish body oil do you take? Also, way to go on your loss!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-09, 07:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

I know this is an old, old thread - I just wanted to thank whoever thought to put it all together and pin it up. It's a constant motivation for me and I refer to it often, 6 years after it was posted.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-10, 15:26

Plan: paleolithic
Stats: 361/361/160 Female 5 foot 3
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sorry I forgot to tell yall, I got a 5 star ticket for this year in Dallas tx!!!!!!!!!!!Im gonna try to get to stand by danny in the group picture and get to tell him thankyou for recommending BFL and helping with our diet plans YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!