Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 14:39

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 245/227/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Cook Books??

I have an admission to make, I am a cook book junkie, I have a zillion cook books.....all written over and marked and covered in stuff. Well now, most of those dont apply anymore to this new WOE, so I was wondering if any of you have an LC cook book that you can recommend. I did surf chapters and amazon, but I normally buy books after flipping through them to get an idea of the types of ingredients used (eg, if it calls for eye of newt, or any other food that cannot be found within 100 miles....its out!) I also want somthing somewhat challenging (to boil water, put water in pot, place stove on burner, turn on burner, wait until you see bubbles - thats out too!) I loooooovvveee Cooking!

Thanks for the input in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 15:32

Plan: Jim's modified CALP
Stats: 483/405/220
BF:
Progress: 30%

Elora,
I'm not a cook nor do I aspire to be one. But I have tried a few of our Resident Chef's (Karen) creations on this site with great success. She has a few books that you might want to check out. Her stuff seems to be a good mix of common ingredients and a little bit of challenge.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 22:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/334.5/170
BF:
Progress: 9%

I don't know about books (I'm a cookbook addict too!!) but I do know I have found some fantastic recipes at WWW.Lowcarbluxury.com
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 08:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245.0/211.5/130.0
BF:
Progress: 29%
Thumbs up I love cooking also

I also love to cook. Yes I live to eat (sometimes) I spend my spare time just leafing through cookbooks. My family has a strong tradition in candy making and my sister is a professional pastry chef. Her favorite is cookies, unfortunately I am the only one on this WOE. So it is up to me to adapt and try new things. As far as strictly LC cookbooks I found lots with protein based main course types, but then if you're a cookbook junkie you probably can adapt many of the things you have. I have the most trouble with wheat replacement, ie bread, crackers, cookies and the like. Many books skimp on this section and the recipes often don't have the right texture even if they are tasty. You may have to adjust your thinking of what things should taste like. You also might trying scanning through the diabetic section of the cookbooks. If you need concrete titles I'll go home and look them up! Good luck and let us know what you find out there!!