Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 00:03
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 273/260/225
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Almond Flour

I have tried to make Almond flour from almonds by putting them thru a coffee grinder but I am not really impressed with the resulting almond "meal". It is very grainy and everything I try cooking with it comes out dense and somewhat dry. I am measuring the amount to use in a recipe after grinding, and have tried putting in 1-2 TBL spoons of wheat gluten to help. I even spent $18.00 for Cakeability Baking aid, which you mix in with the almond meal.

Would blanched almonds be better than almonds with the skins still on? Maybe that's my problem...

Any suggestions on how to get almond flour from almonds instead of almond meal? A standard coffee mill just doesn't seem to cut it (no pun intended ). Any one use anything else with more success? I called all around here in Manchester N.H. and no one has Almond Flour, although "A Market" said they could special order it for me..in 25 lb bags! Seems like alot.

What about soy flour? I bought some but haven't used it yet. I hear it can have a bad overpowering flavor. I would really like to produce muffins similar to the Atkins muffin mixes, which are much lighter than what I make.

I have tried the Atkin bake mix...don't like anything I made with it. And carbolite has a 0 carb bake mix, but it is vanilla flavored...which can get in the way....

Last edited by scottinnh : Fri, Mar-14-03 at 00:07.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 07:28

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb I use the blender

Hi scottinnh,

I use my blender to make almond flour (and oat flour from oatmeal). I have used almonds with skin on and slivered almonds--no matter which, it is still a bit coarse. I have bought cookies and mixes made from almond flour and you can tell it's not flour. I have gotten used to it now. The zucchini muffins (adapted from lkonzelman's recipe) were lighter than I expected.

(If you grind almonds too long, you'll end up with almond butter, which is good, too, but not flour!)

almondsonline sells almonds and almond flour.

hth,
Pokey One
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 07:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/195/150
BF:??????????
Progress: 47%
Default soy flour---

Hello scottinnh,
I have used the soy flour, it might just be me, but, everything smells like black tea, flavorings can disguise the tase to some extent. Your muffins will have a good consistency tho. I just look at it as a new adventure every time I try a new recipe, most of the time it ends up being a "happy accident" ! I guess we just have to adapt to the new tastes/textures on this WOL. It really has been worth it for me, I think I am in a stall now, but I feel so much better eating like this. I'm getting brave enough to go out to eat---takes a little planning but works out great. Keep up the good work P.S. My best friend has started calling me "the mad scientist" because of all my new "creations"
Marla
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 09:09
Registered Member

BF:

LOL! My wife complains that this way of eating is alot more cooking...She use to cringe evertime I print out a recipe and "reviewed" it with her...she thought she was going to have to cook it!

Only it is me that cooks and experiments....I can't wait for her to leave the kitchen...I sweep in and try things out..I especially like it when she is not home to "supervise" ..but sometimes I get stuck and just wing it.

She is still getting use to me watching her cook...figuring out what whisking or creaming is...terms I have only read about...fold what into where? Are yolks the yellow or the white? ("Y" ello as in "Y" olks......uh, right..??...)

As long as I clean up everything and don't break too many things she will continue to allow me access to the kitchen...

Today I am home "sick" with a cold, but I am going out anyways to a new store, alone, to shop for various low carb stuff...I have gotten to enjoy just standing in the aisle of the store and reading the labels!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 15:40
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 175/159/150
BF:32%
Progress: 64%
Smile almond flour

When I make almond flour I do a few nuts at a time and then I sift it three times. That works pretty well. then I re blend all the stuff that didn't make it through the sifter a little at a time and sift it over again. I usuall make about a quart of flour each time I create this big mess and I do this with oats at the same time too. I never just make as much as I need. I keep the flour in the freezer so it will stay fresh.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 18:53

Stats: 146/137/130
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi Scottinnh,

I'm from the Manchester area too! Where are you going shopping? I've been to the low carb store at the Maple Tree Mall -not that much there - all pretty pricey but I might go back to get some LC ketchup. A-Martket didn't seem to have anything - except the unsweetened coconut I was looking for.

I too was wondering about Almond flour - I didn't know everyone made thier own. Maybe blender or food processor first then the coffee grinder?

I have a theory involving egg whites, almond flour and some all natural powdered cheese ( from The Baker's Catalogue in Vt) to create low carb cheese puffs - I know, I really shouldn't be thinking like this.

Hope to hear back from you!

Rosemary
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 07:20

BF:

Hi Again,

I checked my Baker's Catalogue this morning and found that they sell nut flours: Almond or toasted almond, Hazelnut and toasted hazelnut, and chestnut. All in 1/2 pound bags from $4.50 to $4.95 per bag.

call 1800-827-6836 or try online at www.bakerscatalogue.com

Rosemary
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 12:58
Registered Member

BF:

Almond flour is becoming a real pain. A market said they would order it and then called and said no, something about more productive to make almond butter so manafacturers have stopped making it....and low carb heaven says they are planning on bringing in some flours but not almond flour...I have started using full fat soy flour instead.....

Another pain..2 products that really helped me at the begining was the Atkins muffin mixes (3 eff. carbs per muffin) and the laTortilla factory tortilla's( 3 eff. carbs each)..and both are nowhere to be found locally!. Of couse you can order off the internet if you want to pay double with the shipping costs included.....

Low Carb Heaven told me that Atkins is changing the packaging and that is why they are out of the muffin mixes...I tried making my own but not satisifed with results....
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 23:49

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

Here is a place where you can buy almond flour.

http://store.pleasantvillecookiecom...egory_Code=ALMF

Also, on this page they talk about the difference in almond flour and blanched almond flour. Hope this helps.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 06:07

BF:

Hi Theresa,
I found the Pleasantvillecookie site a few days ago - I even tried the hot almond cereal idea that is posted there (actually, I ate it cold - and I really liked it ) The products there look really good and gave me some ideas to try with Almond flour instead of soy flour - which my husband and I don't like that much.

I tried making my own almond flour in the food processor. Interestingly, I started with 1 cup of whole almonds and ended up with 1.5 cups of almond meal. I didn't try sifting and re-processing this time around to get if finer - but it made great cereal and I made a batch of macaroons that were quite tasty!

I'll be trying some other recipes this weekend!

Thanks,

Rosemary
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 06:47

BF:

I've bought Pleasantville cookies, brownies and bake mixes in the past. I just checked out their site again the other day and found they have added a bunch of products, including bread.

I love to cook but I have not found the motivation to make my own almond flour. Can't stand taking out the food processor. So, I figured if anyone out there was like me they would like the site info.

Rosemay... I never thought of adding almond flour to macaroons. I have always made macaroons without flour, even before Atkins. I guess that would give them a bulkier texture instead of chewy. Thanks for the tip!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 15:45
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default platinum nut

http://www.eatalmonds.com/category.html?UCIDs=797527

is where you might get a better deal on almond flour. pleasantville is a bit more expensive. i compared the shipment of

five one pound bags/ups ground from platinum nut for $25.95

and

five 3/4 pound bags/usps priority from pleasantville for $30.30

now of course platinum nut is the better deal but i haven't ordered either and don't know about the quality of either.

i am looking to expand my possibilities since i have graduated from induction and want to keep with this "diet" for as long as i live. if i do oreder form platinum nut i will come back and let you know what i think.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 17:19

BF:

Flyrite,

thats a lot of almond flour. If you buy that kind of quantity make sure your keep it in the fridge and also use it in a short amount of time. All nut products have a short shelf life and can go rancid. YUCK!