Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 09:56

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Most burger patties seem to be just meat--at least the couple of restaurants like McDonald's and Burger King that have most of the market sell 100 percent pure beef patties. It's the buns, condiments etc. that have the sugar there.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...00227144259.htm

Science Daily has a recent story on calorie restriction in rats. Something not usually mentioned. Feed animals a diet that they won't get fat on--calorie restriction doesn't extend their life. It's a "Western-style" chow, high in fat and sugar, that restricting extends life--and that only in animals that would get fat on that chow, animals resistant to obesity are less likely to benefit. Put this way--it isn't that restricting food intake is the fountain of youth, so much as that the makers of twinkies and doritos have discovered the fountain of aging. Eating less than appetite only works if your appetite was gone all berzerk with modern foods.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 10:18

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Taco Bell, for instance:

https://jezebel.com/this-is-what-re...ls-beef-5742413

Makes you wary of anything that ISN'T 100% beef, no?

That's why I read the ingredients whenever possible, instead of just relying on generic terms such as "meat filling" or "seasoned meat".

Back in the 70's, it was very common to find ground beef in the stores that had another name (I wish I could remember exactly what it was called). In the small print, it said that it was ground beef combined with texturized vegetable protein - in other words, soy protein granules. It was a way of extending the meat, and making it cheaper for college kids, and others on a strict grocery budget. You could tell by the taste that it wasn't all beef, but it's what we did to get by in those days.

In the 80's, I remember finding dry TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein) at a health food store. I'd soak the dry TVP in water, and mix that into ground beef to get more mileage out of a pound of ground beef. By that time, I'm pretty sure some artificial beef flavoring had been added to it, because it tasted a bit better than the mixture we bought in the 70's.

Of course that was during the time when I was blinded by the propaganda against red meat and fats, so I would enthusiastically add the TVP to ground beef, so we'd get some good-for-you soy protein in our diet, and cut down on that deadly red meat.

Back when Wendy's restaurants had a food bar, it was pretty obvious that their meat mixture (for tacos and tortillas) on the food bar was not 100% beef. It was also pretty obvious that their sour cream wasn't 100% sour cream either. (I think they called it sour cream sauce, not just sour cream) Even the shredded cheese didn't seem quite like it was 100% cheese. I could tell these things were adulterated, because I grew up eating real foods (even if meals growing up were far too high in carbs overall for my body to deal with), so I could tell something was off about those foods.

But that was also back in the day when it was somewhere between difficult and impossible to obtain the list of ingredients for anything you ate at a restaurant. These days, there's not much excuse - you can usually find a list of ingredients and/or nutrition stats online, especially for fast food places.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 10:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
I rather like the term 'global industrial diet' used by Mark Hyman MD in this article:
https://thriveglobal.com/stories/fo...tific-research/

That's an apt and accurate term that I like as well. Good article.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 11:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Put this way--it isn't that restricting food intake is the fountain of youth, so much as that the makers of twinkies and doritos have discovered the fountain of aging.

Very well put!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 11:31

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Taco Bell, for instance:

https://jezebel.com/this-is-what-re...ls-beef-5742413

Makes you wary of anything that ISN'T 100% beef, no?

Yes, that is a prime example of the fact that they are not selling 100% real meat at any of these FF places so there is no way I'm going to delude myself into thinking that they are.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-20, 06:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Considering recent events, I think the title of this thread:

Quote:
Researchers find a western-style diet can impair brain function

explains so much current events around the world. It's a global brain crisis!