Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Metamorphosis - My updated story
Posted by gawdess
Posted Wed, Nov-26-03
Female 72
Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Metamorphosis - My updated story

I wrote this awhile back but havent had the time to put it online. Here it goes....

Metamorphosis

The word itself conjurs images of butterflies and dragonflies as they cycle through life's changes. Being an avid hiker and outdoorswoman, I always encounter these dazzling creatures out on the trail and look on with great wonder. The ability to undergo a complete shift in body and spirit. Growing wings and learning to fly.

6 months ago I was very much the nymph, inching along, searching for an answer, and wondering if I had the power to undergo a massive physical rebirth. Countless times I had invested my heart, soul ,and money into products and programs that failed me each and every time. I really internalized a lot of this and truly believed that I was the failure. It was I who was weak.

I discovered Atkins after seeing a friend lose 60 pounds on the plan. I was at a party when he walked in and saw everyones attention turn to this unrecognizable person. ( I giggle now because Ive had this happen so many times now) I had been working out 5 days a week for 2 months and though my biceps were toned, I had huge layers of fat covering them. I was eating low fat and limiting my portions. I had lost less than a few pounds on the plan. Seeing the amazing results in this friend, made me trade in my gym membership for a copy of DANDR. I read it for the first time around the campfire in the woods of nothern maine. This was back in July.

For me it was easy to give up pasta and bread. I had never been much of a fan. Ive always loved eggs and tuna. I lost 12 pounds in my first two weeks, making Atkins the most successful program for me ever.

By October , my third month, I was under 200 for the first time in my adult life. My mother smiling and commenting on how she couldnt believe her eyes. My sister parading me around parties and showing me off. All of the moments and compliments have kept my energy high on the plan.

There have been many challenges for me on this path, however I try to find the happy medium. I do have my cheat days and unexpected events that throw me off the wagon. I dont beat myself up over it though.

Today the 50 pound mark is well within my reach and I am still in a state of disbelief. Atkins found me in so many ways . Aside from the weight loss my quality of life has gotten so much better. I no longer live to eat, going from one craving to the next. I am back in college after a 3 year dropout. I've successfully begun the process of weeding out the addictions and negative energies in my life one at a time. Looking back to a year ago, my eyes tear up with pride over my life changes. Dr Atkins has given me wings. I wish I could thank him for starting this revolution. He gave many of us an solution we never thought we would find.

My eyes are also open now to how shallow our society really is. So many more people talk to me now. I get a lot more attention from the opposite sex. I know there is nothing I can do to change this, but it still makes me sad. My heart will always go out to those people still looking for an answer.

I want to thank each and every one of you for the support, love and encouragement I have found here. Each day I read your joys and concerns, questions and answers and they help me to stay strong.

Though I still have about 30 pounds to go in my journey, the fact that I am maintaining holds promise. I would like to be at my goal by July 23rd. My one year anniversary.

Tips and Tricks

1.) Keep snacks on you at all times!! I am an avid hiker and adventurer and I know that likelihood of me cheating decreases if I have Atkins friendly snacks in my bag. My favorites are Nuts, Seeds, Slim Jims, Diet Sodas, Pork Rinds and Cheese.

2.) Journal! I know I do most of my journaling offline but it is so valuable to capture the little details. The moments that you failed, suceeded, and lost the pounds.

3.) Make a list of the high carb foods you do miss and try to find acceptable substitutes. The only thing I havent been able to figure out is a good Low Carb Oreo.

4.) Dont think of this as a diet, Ever! If you dont do it for life, the weight will return.

5.) Make a wall of happiness - I have one in my bedroom and its the first thing I see when I wake up. I have notes from people, pictures of my success, anything that has made you happy and you find motivation in.

6.) Dont forget the other pieces of you- Make sure you pay attention to yourself and your feelings. I know with my metamorphosis I am in a lot of new situations with people and sometimes have a hard time dealing. Strive to work on yourself from more that just a physical standpoint. Understand that not everything is going to work and that sometime we must fail in order to grow.

Best of Luck!
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
In-Progress
After

by Archie on Thu, Nov-27-03, 09:03

IMPRESSIVE! It's gotta feel pretty good not just mentally by physically. Climbing stairs and just doing stuff!

10 comments [read all comments]

Article tools