Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#631   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-07, 18:44
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
This afternoon the scale said 158.5 & U couldnt beleive my scale had any numbers lower than 160.

Woohoo!! So happy for you Donna!!

Ain't it great when a plan comes together!!
Sponsored Links
  #632   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-07, 00:10

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 165/135.1/130 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:36%/27.5%/26%
Progress: 85%

Wow--congrats all you stall-busters! I am totally inspired! *does the happy dance*
  #633   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 13:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 280/211/200 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 86%

OK ladies, because I've been so negative lately, I thought I'd post something positive - a BRAG!

I was at the mall today and decided to try on designer jeans at two different places. At Dillards they were Lucky Brand Jeans. Then there were the jeans at Abercrombie and Fitch (that's right - the skinny people store!).

So what's the brag? They were men's size 34. And it wasn't like I squeezed them on my body and barely got the button to close, muffin top everywhere. No they fit... well... the way jeans are supposed to fit!

This is just too awesome. I started out in size 42 - and tight - I was really leaning towards size 44s.

And because it's too easy to take y'all for granted.... THANKS everyone for your continued support. This forum has been so helpful over time and still is. I can't wait to see where this journey continues to take me.
  #634   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 13:45
Attitude is a Choice

See? I told ya that you are a normal size now!!

I wear Lucky Brand too...and yes, they are for regular size people....I wear a size 31 for my ample hips!!

Good for you Jeremy!!
  #635   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 13:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
See? I told ya that you are a normal size now!!

I wear Lucky Brand too...and yes, they are for regular size people....I wear a size 31 for my ample hips!!

Good for you Jeremy!!

Thanks Judy.
So I now wear size Large shirts and can wear 34-36 size jeans which is well in the realm of normal. But I don't get it- I still have tons of fat and don't by any means look thin. I wonder how small I will be when I get rid of the fat and tone up. Regardless of clothing size, I really want to lose the belly fat and love handles.
  #636   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 13:54
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4
Thanks Judy.
So I now wear size Large shirts and can wear 34-36 size jeans which is well in the realm of normal. But I don't get it- I still have tons of fat and don't by any means look thin. I wonder how small I will be when I get rid of the fat and tone up. Regardless of clothing size, I really want to lose the belly fat and love handles.

You will and you will probably end up with a slim 32" waist....crunches baby!! and swimming....and lots of any other kind of exercise you enjoy to do...mix it up...have fun!! but keep moving!!

Swimmers have the best 6 packs...lots of ab muscles at work when you swim.
  #637   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 14:10
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 240/183/130 Female 5ft 7
BF:prolly 100%
Progress: 52%

oh wow! congrats, congrats, congrats!!!!!

I member how I felt when I weighed myself and Id lost something like 6lbs..without 'dieting'..I stepped on and off those scaled like 10 times

anyway, keep up the good work!
  #638   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 16:37
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarah
oh wow! congrats, congrats, congrats!!!!!

I member how I felt when I weighed myself and Id lost something like 6lbs..without 'dieting'..I stepped on and off those scaled like 10 times

anyway, keep up the good work!

Welcome Zarah!!

Are you considering doing the South Beach Diet with us?

If you are, you can easily see our Updated Food lists and Meal Plan Charts in the thread pinned near the top of this forum.
  #639   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 10:27

BF:

OK, time for a whine now.
I spent the last two weeks eating flawlessly. The last week in particular, I went to the gym 5 times, getting very extensive workouts in. I weighed in Saturday morning and I was back up to 214 lbs. I had been at 211 the previous week.

Why can't I lose weight? This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I know I eat out for lunches, but I've been eating out at those same restaurants for the last year when I lost 70 lbs.

This is not weight loss slowing down - this is non-existant weight loss. If it had slowed down to half a pound to a pound a week, I'd understand that weight loss slows down as you get closer to goal. But I'm still 30-35 lbs from my real goal. And I've been at this weight forever now I was at 215lbs in May. I'm not ready to give up. I'm working my F~#$in ass off at the gym and eating as healthy as I can. I logged my food in my journal. What is going on here?

I'm not drinking, I'm not eating fried foods, I eat tons of fish and vegetables. My fruit/grain intake is fairly minimal (maybe blueberries in the morning and either oatmeal or buckwheat pancakes in the early evening). There's no reason for a stall this long.

Please somebody help me figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong- this is killing me.
  #640   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 10:36

BF:

I spent the last two weeks eating flawlessly. The last week in particular, I went to the gym 5 times, getting very extensive workouts in. I weighed in Saturday morning and I was back up to 214 lbs. I had been at 211 the previous week.

Why can't I lose weight? This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I know I eat out for lunches, but I've been eating out at those same restaurants for the last year when I lost 70 lbs.

This is not weight loss slowing down - this is non-existant weight loss. If it had slowed down to half a pound to a pound a week, I'd understand that weight loss slows down as you get closer to goal. But I'm still 30-35 lbs from my real goal. And I've been at this weight forever now I was at 215lbs in May. I'm not ready to give up. I'm working my F~#$in ass off at the gym and eating as healthy as I can. I logged my food in my journal. What is going on here?

I'm not drinking, I'm not eating fried foods, I eat tons of fish and vegetables. My fruit/grain intake is fairly minimal (maybe blueberries in the morning and either oatmeal or buckwheat pancakes in the early evening). There's no reason for a stall this long.

Please somebody help me figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong- this is killing me.
  #641   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 11:13

BF:

#642   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 12:06
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:

Sorry but you are not eating flawlessly and when you do finally get this...then I will be able to help you. All the eating out....all the sauces of unknown origin...will put a damper on all your work.....and pancakes for dinner is flour even if it is whole grain flour....flour is best eaten earlier in the day and IMO...to be eaten closer to goal weight.

Did you start to use the elliptical yet?
  #643   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-07, 09:56
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:

OK...this has been bothering since yesterday and I think that I've got a much better answer for you now that I've given this thought.

The last pounds are the hardest to get rid of....what we lost at first was easy...getting it off now separates those who succeed from those who give up....kinda like separating the men from the boys, if you get my drift.

I recall that when I got to 180, I kinda stumbled a bit thinking that I'd be stuck there as it was always the wieght my body settled at before. But I weighed daily (still do) and respond to what I see on the scale by chosing what I will eat that day depending on what the scale says. If I need to make the scale move back down, I cut back on the nuts, cheeses and starches that I eat.

I did this as I was losing the last pounds too....I highly recommend that you go to my first journal, which you can get to by going to page 1 of my current journal and using the link there....then go to page 116, is that will take you to the last 5 months of my weight loss.

Keep in mind also, that it took me 15 months to lose 100 lbs...then it took my body 5 more months to lose 15 lbs...thats less than a pound a week. But what I did do and I think you should too, is weigh daily so that you can begin to see what eating certain types of food does to your weight...rather than weighin once a week and then getting all upset and whiny!!

Think of this as a science experiment...your body being the vessel....log your food, weigh daily and you will start to see patterns in how what you eat effects not only your losing but how long it takes for certain foods to get out of your body( too much salt) and how long it takes to see loss again.

I realized that too much sodium not only made me retain water, but I would not be able to see loss for 3 days!! Then if I eat clean for those 3 days...then my body would begin to show loss again, even if it was only -.2 or -.4 of a lb. That is a good reason to use a scale that measures in the tenths....I've got a basic Tanita. Great scale!!

Heres another thought for you.....on the starch front....You can have 2-3 starches a day....looks like for your body, it needs to be 2 starches to see weight loss. One starch can be from a grain and the other choice really should be from a starchy veggie......I suggest that you use the grain in the form of oatmeal for breakfast with blueberries....if you feel hunger, have a HB egg after. I would put that buckwheat flour away for now. Don't eat flour daily but maybe once or twice a week...flour does gum up the works...think of it like this...flour + water makes a nice paste!! euuuwww!! not good for weight loss!!

OK Jeremy...thats all I've got for now.....my dogs await their walk!!

Last edited by Judynyc : Mon, Sep-03-07 at 13:14.
  #644   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-07, 15:15

Plan: South Beach/WW
Stats: 287/198/180 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Iceman, I SO feel your pain. I started at 287 (June 2004) and got down to 212 (April 2005), then gained a bit back when I started lifting weights in the summer of 2005. I was stuck at around 225 for way longer than a year (despite technically clean South Beach eating and exercising 5-6 days a week), and only recently begain losing again (I am down to 209 right now, and my goal is 180). I know at least 2 others on another South Beach Board who have stalled with a fair amount of weight remaining to lose similar to what happened to me. I think perhaps your body just takes its own sweet time to adjust to a large weight loss before it's willing to start losing again.

Judy offers you some excellent advice! She gave me some advice in a similar vein, and it really helped me start losing again.

I guess I just wanted to post to tell you that stalls are normal, they can last a long time, and not to give up!!!

[Edited to add: I hope it's OK that I posted in this thread, since I am not a regular participant here on this thread.]
  #645   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-07, 15:59

Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Great advice, Judy

Daily weigh-ins can be another tool to help us reach our goals. Give it a shot, Iceman, and see if it helps you pin-point any trends/correlations between what you eat today/weigh tomorrow. Good luck!!