Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-10, 04:12

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Krav Maga- Cross fit

Hello- I have been LC (paleo) since Jan 4th 2010. I have lost 36lbs total since then, well actually since about 2 1/2 months ago and have been stuck since then.
I run , or have run 2-3x's a week 3-5 miles as my only means of exercise. My weight has fluctuated 2-5lbs.

I want to get down to my target of 200 and even pass to 180 if I can- so I decided to change things up.
I joined Krav Maga- which is a martial Art and also their version of cross fit (Krav Fit) I did three classes this week (only 1 krav fit) and besides being sore from my thighs up- and I mean sore! I actually gained a few pounds.
Now I know it is only the first week- but jeesh. I have been LC since Jan 4. During the week I am not getting no where near as many calories as I "Should" be getting and I am still not loosing. What the heck is going on here?

I wish it were- loosing fat gaining muscle, but I would have to be a freak of nature to put on that much muscle while doing very little weight training.

I try not go by scale weight- I try to go by body composition- but it is hard- because some days I feel like I look leaner and other days I feel like I look fatter-

I just wonder if there is something more wrong with me than JUST insulin resistance....This sucks, if any "normal" person ate what I did and exercised like I do they would look like a greek god. Come on!

The only thing I can do is to continue to move forward though, I can't go back to the old way of eating because I will get up to 300+ lbs in no time.

Anyone else been there?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-10, 07:32

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I am in the same boat, and I can tell you I have never trained intensively and lost weight - it's like the hoply grail. I had to take this week off because of an upper respiratory infection and I lost 3 or 4 pounds. I read something that a trainer wrote the other day which you hear alot but it's easy to forget "You can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time". In my experience that's spot on. I am working on some cross fit type stuff (as much as my middle aged body can handle). They just got a climbing rope at my gym whicch is vey exciting.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-10, 08:48

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I am in the same boat, and I can tell you I have never trained intensively and lost weight - it's like the hoply grail. I had to take this week off because of an upper respiratory infection and I lost 3 or 4 pounds. I read something that a trainer wrote the other day which you hear alot but it's easy to forget "You can't lose fat and build muscle at the same time". In my experience that's spot on. I am working on some cross fit type stuff (as much as my middle aged body can handle). They just got a climbing rope at my gym whicch is vey exciting.

i'd be all over that climbing rope. i hit it on a regular basis back during my time in the corp. loved it!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-10, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmedina
Hello- I have been LC (paleo) since Jan 4th 2010. I have lost 36lbs total since then, well actually since about 2 1/2 months ago and have been stuck since then.
I run , or have run 2-3x's a week 3-5 miles as my only means of exercise. My weight has fluctuated 2-5lbs.

I want to get down to my target of 200 and even pass to 180 if I can- so I decided to change things up.
I joined Krav Maga- which is a martial Art and also their version of cross fit (Krav Fit) I did three classes this week (only 1 krav fit) and besides being sore from my thighs up- and I mean sore! I actually gained a few pounds.
Now I know it is only the first week- but jeesh. I have been LC since Jan 4. During the week I am not getting no where near as many calories as I "Should" be getting and I am still not loosing. What the heck is going on here?

I wish it were- loosing fat gaining muscle, but I would have to be a freak of nature to put on that much muscle while doing very little weight training.

I try not go by scale weight- I try to go by body composition- but it is hard- because some days I feel like I look leaner and other days I feel like I look fatter-

I just wonder if there is something more wrong with me than JUST insulin resistance....This sucks, if any "normal" person ate what I did and exercised like I do they would look like a greek god. Come on!

The only thing I can do is to continue to move forward though, I can't go back to the old way of eating because I will get up to 300+ lbs in no time.

Anyone else been there?

so what kind of calorie intake are you at? what percentage of protein?

you can always find a place near you that does metabolic testing so you know precisely what your RMR is. i know where I'm at in Austin, the University of TX does it and it runs around $100. i bet you have something similar in your area. finding a place that does bodygem testing is another alternative. last i checked, that ran around $30.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-10, 08:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfunTH
i'd be all over that climbing rope. i hit it on a regular basis back during my time in the corp. loved it!

It's so cool. I've done it twice now. It's hemp and rough so I will need to get some protection unless I want to build up some serious callous. I do it barefoot. I work with military stuff and that's what really inspired me to look at more cross-fit type workouts since it's so popular with military folks.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-10, 13:28

Quote:
It's so cool. I've done it twice now. It's hemp and rough so I will need to get some protection unless I want to build up some serious callous. I do it barefoot. I work with military stuff and that's what really inspired me to look at more cross-fit type workouts since it's so popular with military folks.

i remember the course that had them close enough together that you could grab a rope in each hand. that was my favorite! i never used my feet, just went up with hands only. i would love to find a place near me that has them.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-10, 17:59

BF:

It's rare - I was thrilled when my gym installed them. I just got tights today so I can do it more. With shorts, you really just cut up your skin.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 09:25

Quote:
It's rare - I was thrilled when my gym installed them. I just got tights today so I can do it more. With shorts, you really just cut up your skin.

how high up are the ropes?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 09:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfunTH
how high up are the ropes?

It's an old Y so the ceiling height is maybe three stories, four stories? The ropes go up about 20, 25 feet? I'm bad at estimating height LOL! It's very high.