Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 17:01
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Post Alli Fat Blocker On Sale In The UK

I heard on the radio news the other day that Alli was going on sale in the UK from this week. I was in Boots today and sure enough they had it on display. There was a member of staff giving out info and leaflets. She did point out that Boots won't sell it to anyone who has a BMI of less than 28 but I have to say that most of the people I saw enquiring about it looked as if theirs was well below. I'm sure a lot of people are hoping for a miracle pill.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 05:14
Registered Member

Plan: My own LC
Stats: 208/205/126 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I heard this too. I think it is only "good" for people who are eating a low-fat diet. Can you imagine if we used this "miracle pill" with all the fat we eat?? I think the excess fat can only come out one way yuck!
You are right, people do want to just swallow a pill and not put in any of the hard work.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 11:00

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I think even people on a lowfat or a 'normal' way of eating will have problems with 'leakage' from what I have read about it. I hope they stock up on dark trousers/skirts and stay near the loo!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 03:47

Plan: Generally Atkins
Stats: 180/180/154 Female 5ft 7 ins
BF:
Progress:

I've used Alli's big sister, Xenical, before I discovered low carb, and oh boy did I get 'leakage'!!!

(What follows is a bit graphic, so please avoid if you're eating)

You basically poo thick, bright orange oil, and you don't always get the choice when it comes out. I've Xenicalled myself in the queue at Waitrose, in the toy aisle of Tescos and several times in my sleep. It's also a right bugger to clean up! Loo flushes won't dispose of it all, so you spend a lot of time scrubbing!

I lost about 6 lbs in 3 months, and regained twice that when I came off it.

If Alli takes off, I pity the nation's cleaning operatives!

Last edited by Orchid UK : Sun, May-03-09 at 03:48. Reason: Typo
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 05:30

Plan: Carb cycling
Stats: 225/164/155 Male 5'8
BF:~15%
Progress: 87%

I dont see why people feel the need to resort to things like this. People are always looking for a way to avoid good old diet and exercise. If people were on a low fat diet, their enery will be comming from carbs which wont be "blocked". If they dont keep their calories in check (what they should do in the first place) then the pills are going to have minimal effect.

Last edited by carlh_uk : Sun, May-03-09 at 05:38.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 14:17
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchidUK
It's also a right bugger to clean up! Loo flushes won't dispose of it all, so you spend a lot of time scrubbing!

Maybe that's how you lose weight, with all the exercise from the scrubbing
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-10-09, 05:26

Plan: Custom low-carb
Stats: 240/188/140 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid UK
I've used Alli's big sister, Xenical, before I discovered low carb, and oh boy did I get 'leakage'!!!

(What follows is a bit graphic, so please avoid if you're eating)

You basically poo thick, bright orange oil, and you don't always get the choice when it comes out. I've Xenicalled myself in the queue at Waitrose, in the toy aisle of Tescos and several times in my sleep. It's also a right bugger to clean up! Loo flushes won't dispose of it all, so you spend a lot of time scrubbing!

I lost about 6 lbs in 3 months, and regained twice that when I came off it.

If Alli takes off, I pity the nation's cleaning operatives!

Me too >_< I took Xenical for two weeks and decided that, with all the other humiliations in my life, I DID NOT need to be leaking stinky orange oil in public. Better to stay fat! I was lucky that I managed to get to the loo every time I felt I was gonna start leaking but I didn't want to tempt fate.

So horrible >_< I think I've got PTSD from the experience
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (post WLS)
Stats: 384/226/195 Female 189 cm
BF:
Progress: 84%

I used to be on Xenical. Never leaked, but had to bomb to the loo on MANY occasions!! Not nice!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 07:35

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to reply.

I have tried Orlistat/Xenical... a few times. I did lose weight.

You're not meant to abuse the tablet! It's meant to get rid of the fat in what you eat... and you're meant to eat a low fat diet and preferably exercise too! You are not meant to eat burgers, chips and God knows what else... because of course you're going to get leakage. The tablet is meant to help you lose weight, but it isn't a wonder tablet... you are still meant to 'diet'.

I do believe alot of people abuse this tablet, they don't use it properly. I admit, I have done it myself.

But when I did take the tablet and stuck to a healthy diet, like you're meant to... the leakage did not happen. Yes, my stools were still orange but they had more of a solid texture to them. And I didn't have any unexpected leakages while out.

When I was naughty and had chips or something similar, of course came the orange oil for poo, and the leaking in embarrassing places.

So basically, in my opinion and from my own experience... you shouldn't have any leakages or too wet poo if you do the proper diet you're meant to with the pill. If you abuse it, then well in my opinion you deserve the splatters! lol.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 10:32

Plan: Primal
Stats: 200/129/125 Female 163cm
BF:26
Progress: 95%

Re Boots selling Alli, they sell it at their online site, no checks required. Not quite the responsibility they are declare they have.