Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#316   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-19, 10:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Try increasing healthy fat consumption while doing the carnivore approach to see if that can control your weight loss.
Sponsored Links
  #317   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-19, 10:16

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Try increasing healthy fat consumption while doing the carnivore approach to see if that can control your weight loss.

I've started doing this more with my HFLC way of eating-two tbsp of HWC in my coffee, cooking everything in either ghee, butter or avocado oil etc. Still losing weight but the pace has slowed down some. This month I've lost 2.4lbs so far vs last month where I lost almost 4lbs, (current BMI is 20.2).

When I did my carnivore days the biggest thing was I just had NO appetite, this made it challenging to eat. Thinking of doing a carnivore day tomorrow, need to come up with a plan to get in enough food

Last edited by DaisyDawn : Tue, Jun-25-19 at 10:23.
  #318   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-19, 10:37

BF:

Fat provides most of your energy at this point it seems, you might want to increase the ratio of fat to protein by increasing fat and reducing protein a bit to see if that helps you get enough food. It's hard to overeat protein once you're adapted because that "off" switch brings you to a complete stop. Note that your body (metabolism) is adjusting all the time to its energy sources, so unless you're really concerned about not dropping below your current weight, it may be a natural adjustment to where you should be.
  #319   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-19, 12:16

BF:

Quote:
Fat provides most of your energy at this point it seems, you might want to increase the ratio of fat to protein by increasing fat and reducing protein a bit to see if that helps you get enough food. It's hard to overeat protein once you're adapted because that "off" switch brings you to a complete stop. Note that your body (metabolism) is adjusting all the time to its energy sources, so unless you're really concerned about not dropping below your current weight, it may be a natural adjustment to where you should be.

Just to amend this comment, I see you are at a very healthy weight. My recommendation of changing the fat to protein ratio must be accompanied by the comment that while fat provides energy, it does not provide nutrients. There may be better combinations of protein and other foods (low carb macros) that will keep you healthy at a healthy weight. I know organ meats like liver provide folate and other healthy nutrients. Liver, onions, and riced cauliflower are delicious, and that's one of my meals where I can favor healthy nutrients, keep unhealthy carbs out, and get the protein, fat, carb combination that works for me. This is simply one option of many. It's an n=1 adventure, and I hope you experiment to find the right combinations while maintaining excellent health.
  #320   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-19, 12:47

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Just to amend this comment, I see you are at a very healthy weight. My recommendation of changing the fat to protein ratio must be accompanied by the comment that while fat provides energy, it does not provide nutrients. There may be better combinations of protein and other foods (low carb macros) that will keep you healthy at a healthy weight. I know organ meats like liver provide folate and other healthy nutrients. Liver, onions, and riced cauliflower are delicious, and that's one of my meals where I can favor healthy nutrients, keep unhealthy carbs out, and get the protein, fat, carb combination that works for me. This is simply one option of many. It's an n=1 adventure, and I hope you experiment to find the right combinations while maintaining excellent health.

I make a meal out of liver, onions, mushrooms and bacon, layered, cooked in a crock pot. Really tasty and full of nutrients.
  #321   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-19, 13:07

BF:

Quote:

I've been avoiding organ meats because of the ick factor, lol, but knew that if I want to pursue a more, (part time at least), carnivore diet I have to add them, so this morning I picked up some braunschweiger sausage, which contains pork liver. With fear and trepidation I ate some and it wasn't bad! I just had it with mustard but I think it would taste great with mayo and hard boiled eggs, (like a sandwich spread), so I'll be experimenting with it more. I'm also going to make bone broth for the first time soon, keep reading how good this is for us!
  #322   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-19, 15:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I make a meal out of liver, onions, mushrooms and bacon, layered, cooked in a crock pot. Really tasty and full of nutrients.

That's sounds delicious, I'll have to try that.
  #323   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-19, 19:29

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Liver is something that even 3 years of Irish boarding school, way back in the 1960's, couldn't make me dislike. My mother was a good cook, and we were never encouraged to believe that liver/kidneys/tongue were "icky". (My parents occasionally went to a restaurant in Ireland - too "fancy" ie expensive for little kids - where the speciality was lambs' kidneys. I remember thinking how special that must have been). The school cooks were not so good, but I knew how it was supposed to taste. Though I still can't face rice pudding in any form. Well, obviously, not now. But also not before LC.
  #324   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-19, 04:33

Plan: Carnivore 95%
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Feedback after hair test and blood test! I really advise hair test, it is cheap for what it brings.

The hair test indicates my thyroid is a bit better (Ca ratio to K)
My iron has increased too much in hair, but iron blood panel is normal.
It might come from my low copper.

About LIVER:
It is almost nothing compared to the quantity of meat in ONE animal, so do not eat too much either!

In my case, this is ZERO liver. I eat heart and kidneys.

RULE: Eat anything to taste, be it food or salt, or else how do you want to get back your instinct?

About APPETITE:

The main problem is to anticípate eating a lot of meat and preparing for stuffing.
Just don't.
Really eat slow though you do not need to chew as much as carbs. And eat no more than what you feel like. Hunger Will come back better. Sure if you see you are not hungry, you want to eat as much as possible when you eat! But it does not work and Will supress your appetite more. You CAN make more small meals even with meat.

The main issue is not having enough HCl for digestion of a big quantity. Do not hesitate to use betain HCl. I thought I was ok, but the hair test says otherwise…. lol I could not believe that my level of phosphorus was still low, indicating not enough protein digestion. and lol they advised me to eat more proteins!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I am back to betain hcl….

By the way, this is linked to the function of the vagus nerve, so this is where to look at, if you want to reach a good digestive system working at its best. You sure have Heard about the rest & digest state, but this is a bit more complicated than what they say, as it must come from the autonomic part of the system, and not from Will. We cannot rest. We can only induce the body to take this direction. Most people who "relax" actually only freeze the stress, so feel relaxed but still do not have the proper body functions going on in the physiology….

NB: this is not only personal experience & ideas, I have training about what I say. When working on any body system, such as digestive system, it is much better if you also do some work on the nervous system. It is pure physiology and not psychology at all, much more than the head, and it is not instinct but a much wider inner intelligence. lol we just do not like that our brain intellligence be put to shame! Actually, it is just the art to let each part of the nervous system does its job, and not want to do the job of other parts!
  #325   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-19, 05:05

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Intriguing, Canari. At the beginning, when I was just Carnivore, I had a serious appetite, could put away a 10 ounce piece of brisket at one meal. Fortunately, I had learned this was to be expected as I stuffed myself with nutrients.

Six months later, I’ve added high fat dairy and eggs and the like, and my appetite has shrunk considerably as I get into a healthier weight range.

So true about training our body’s feedback mechanisms with whole food eating.
  #326   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 04:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Liver is something that even 3 years of Irish boarding school, way back in the 1960's, couldn't make me dislike. My mother was a good cook, and we were never encouraged to believe that liver/kidneys/tongue were "icky". (My parents occasionally went to a restaurant in Ireland - too "fancy" ie expensive for little kids - where the speciality was lambs' kidneys. I remember thinking how special that must have been). The school cooks were not so good, but I knew how it was supposed to taste. Though I still can't face rice pudding in any form. Well, obviously, not now. But also not before LC.

Totally different than my upbringing-I think I had liver once as a kid but organ meats were never a part of our menu growing up. My dad hunted so venison was our go-to meat but I don't think we ever ate the organ meats from the deer?
  #327   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 04:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Intriguing, Canari. At the beginning, when I was just Carnivore, I had a serious appetite, could put away a 10 ounce piece of brisket at one meal. Fortunately, I had learned this was to be expected as I stuffed myself with nutrients.

Six months later, I’ve added high fat dairy and eggs and the like, and my appetite has shrunk considerably as I get into a healthier weight range.

So true about training our body’s feedback mechanisms with whole food eating.

When I do carnivore days I follow Kevin Stock's guidelines (level 1), and include dairy and eggs since they're derived from animal sources (and coffee, lol). I have very little appetite on these days-I wonder what the difference would be for me to have meat only days vs what I do now, in terms of hunger/satiety? Hmmm.... might have to experiment a bit
  #328   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 05:13

Plan: Carnivore 95%
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

I doubt the method of doing isolated meat days. Traditional ways of eating is about progressive change with seasons. Not a yo-yo.

Our body needs some regularity during some times, and then a change, and this resets what has become to acostumed in the body. I refer to having receptors that lower their receptivity after some time of doing the same.

Be careful if you have dairies and coffee at the same meal. I am not sure if this is valid for only milk or other dairies, but a lot of people have a hard time with milk and coffee when they are mixed. I have seen people having from headaches to more obvious liver symptoms from the mix!

What is very ok withh coffee and gives a good taste is an egg yolk added when the coffee is not so hot as to cook the yolk. If you add any fat (I do not use dairy fat for the reason above...), then it will increase your fat intake though you will digest it pretty weel thanks to both coffee and the emulsifying property of the egg yolk!

Try ways to mix and you will see how creamy it can come out, instead of oil on the surface....

I advise coconut oil, the tasteless one if you do not want it to taste as coconut, or cacao butter. I have also used animal fat from goat, sheep or beef. Just an egg or two is also fine if you do not want more fat. Just mind the temperature!

For apetite, it will be according to the digestion capacity, this is why we might need some digestive help at the beginning, betain HCl and digestive enzymes.

If you want to test yourself, I have found use in the hair test called htma, but also in the OAT : Organic Acid Test. It is a urine test that I sent to the lab. They took it with a container that kept it refrigerated. I do not remember the lab... It told me about my liver detoxification issues and also that my fat metabolism was better than my sugar metabolism. It also tells about parasites or candida possible issues, and more.
  #329   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 05:30

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I live on heavy cream and coffee. And I seriously doubt dairy plus coffee is a special mix that hits the liver particularly hard. I do like eggs in coffee when I run out of cream sometimes, though.
  #330   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-19, 05:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I live on heavy cream and coffee. And I seriously doubt dairy plus coffee is a special mix that hits the liver particularly hard. I do like eggs in coffee when I run out of cream sometimes, though.

Yep, I have 2-3 cups of coffee a day and use HWC in them (first two cups I put 2tbsp and then any cups after that I do 1tbsp). I don't have any digestion/health issues so it's all good
Closed Thread