Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 16:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Something's making me sick

I've been eating scrambled eggs each morning since starting this WOL. I always have a little bacon, sausage, or ham with it just to add a some interest to the meal. All was fine until one day... my stomach started hurting (burning) within minutes after eating breakfast. I'm not talking about a little tummy ache. This feels like a hole is burning right through my middle, I get nauseated, and real shakey and sweaty. I have a similar reaction to avocados and haven't eaten them in years. Not knowing if it's the meat or the eggs that's making me sick, I just switched to eating chicken or something else for breakfast. After a 2 week break I tried scrambled eggs mixed with some pan sausage this morning. My stomach is still killing me 8 hours later. Has anybody else had this reaction? Is it more likely the eggs or the breakfast meat? I know the obvious way to find out, but I am so sick now I'm afraid to touch any of it again! Has anyone had similar reactions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 16:46

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

The first choice would be the breakfast meat. A lot of salt, or even spoilt? But eggs have arachadonic acid and some people are sensitive to it. It is also in red meats. Read the Protein Power book or visit their site: eatprotein.com for more information about that.

Eating the meat but not the eggs might help to find out which it is. (Sorry, I don't mean you should try to feel sick. That sounds like an awful pain.)
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 17:16
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Was it the same package of eggs that you ate from before?

A few years ago, my sister and I both got sick from eggs, even though we lived several hours from each other, but there is a major place where most of the eggs in this state come from and we found out from my brother who was driving a truck for them that the chickens had been sick and were given antibiotics but eventually died. Eventually all those "sick" eggs were bought up and when we got some laid by other chickens we were all fine.

Maybe you got a bad batch or maybe you need to continue to substitute something else for breakfast. Tuna and mayo is a no-cook quick breakfast that I use sometimes.

Beth

Last edited by Elihnig : Sun, Aug-24-03 at 17:17.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 17:19

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Here's one suggestion from PPP's bulletin board"
http://bbs.eatprotein.com/cgi-bin/u...t=003807#000001

Are you taking vitamins with breakfast? Or before? That can irritate your stomach lining.

Or from our own board:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...pain#post338868

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ain#post1091000

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...Pain#post165029

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ain#post1220943

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ain#post1095714

Not everything comes from LC, so if it continues, you should probably see your own doctor. hope this helps.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 19:02

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

I have that reaction from nitrate/nitrites in bacon and sausage. These meats are available nitrate free at Whole Foods or other health food stores. I have the arachidonic acid problems, too. I get terrible rashes and my nails start peeling. I never ever had these problems with eggs until I started eating them daily and then WITH the fatty meat (highest concentrations are in egg yolks and fatty meat - a double whammy if you're sensitive and get overloaded).
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 11:11

Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 20%

I don't think that the eggs, sausage, and bacon could have been spoiled. THey were all freshly purchased and even came from different batches. It seems to be the way my body is responding rather than it being bad food.

I had a slice of Deep Dish Pizza Quiche with Italian sausage for lunch and my stomach is fine so far. I ate it without even thinking about it having eggs and sausage in it, though in much smaller quantities than a breakfast serving of eggs & sausage! I'll see how I do this afternoon.

I think I'll try the nitrite/nitrate free breakfast meats next.

Thanks for your replies.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 13:22
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

It's also possible that the spices in the sausage were giving you a type of indigestion. At any rate, I'd blame the meat before I blamed the eggs.