Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 11:11
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Ground turkey vs. ground beef - cooking question!

Hello, chefs! Somebody posted the below recipe recently, and I decided to try it, but with ground turkey instead of ground beef. Now my question for all of you is this: does turkey cook faster or slower than beef, or should the cooking time remain the same??

THANKS!

Quick Dinner Muffins with Hamburger

1 pound of hamburger
1 can of french cut green beans
2 c. of shredded cheddar cheese
muffin tin

Divide the hamburger into 12 muffin cups. Press the hamburger against all the sides and bottom of the muffin cups. Fill inside of hamburger cups with green beans. Add a tablespoon of cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Store in baggies. (or some other container) To heat, microwave for 20 - 30 seconds on high. Great for lunch or quick dinner. Makes 12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 11:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

For food safety, everything cooks til it's done through and a certain temperature, so probably the same amount of time...but turkey is WAY more lean (less fat) than beef, so you might need to add something so it's not real dry and crumbly and stuck to the cup when it's cooked. Be sure to panspray, butter, bacon fat or otherwise really grease those cups.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 12:22
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't even thought of that. I'm afraid I've got a lot to learn where cooking is concerned.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

NP! (and hey, if it was me, I'd sprinkle the turkey with some pepper and some dried thyme or rosemary, just a little, before adding the rest of the stuff. Very yummy to add a little flavour to the turkey, which can be more bland as well as more dry than beef...

Have fun!

#5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 06:14
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Worcestershire sauce is good to flavor turkey too. I make meat muffins with half ground turkey breast, half ground pork or beef and bake same as if it were all beef or pork. Comes out perfect, but agree with IslandGirl--straight turkey is a bit dry.