Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 08:19

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 161/130/132 Female 5'7"
BF:40%/?/We'll see
Progress: 107%
Default Hannukkah LC Recipes?

Hannukkah is upon us tomorrow and I don't know what to substitute for potatoes to make latkes. I know i'll be making some regular ones for my son and as a result we will feel like having at least one fried something!!!

I know a recipe with zucchini but is there a more delicious alternative?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 14:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Agnes,

There is some discussion of latke alternatives in this thread - Any kosher Atkins dieters out there.

I have seen recipes here for LC latkes. Try using our search engine. It will help if you confine your search to the kitchen areas and click "show results as posts."

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 18:25

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Agnes! Not sure if you still need this but last night we had latkes and I must say that no one missed the potatoes! I used my normal latke recipe and instead of potato I substituted grated zuccini in one batch and pureed cauliflower in another batch.Also intead of matzo meal , I used soy flour. Both were delicious. The cauliflower tastes the most like potatoes but a mashed potato texture rather than the grated texture I am used to. Also the cauliflower was a bit trickier to turn over.

Latkes
3 large zuccini grated
2-3 large eggs
2 T chopped onion
1/4 cup soy flour
1/2 tsp. salt

After grating zuccini, squeeze out all excess moisture. Then mix all ingredients. Use 1 heaping tablespoon of the mixture for each latke. Fry each side until golden brown .
Delicious plain or with sour cream.

Cauliflower Latkes
16 oz of cauliflower (fresh or frozen) cooked until soft
1-2 large eggs
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
1/4 cup soy flour
salt to taste

Puree cauliflower then mix all ingredients. Fry heaping tablespoon of mixture until golden on each side. Spraying your spatula with Pam might help the turning process. Be gentle.

I hope your family enjoys these as much as we did. I made plenty and froze some so that we could reheat them throughout the week
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 18:31

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

I also make a wonderful brisket that is awsome with latkes. It is really simple to make but always gets rave reviews and requests for the recipe. I hate to admit it, but the recipe originally came from my mother-in-law. I hate giving her credit for anything good

Brisket
1. Rub brisket on both sides with a mixture of salt, paprika, and garlic powder.
2. Sear the brisket on both sides in a large pot (dutch ove) using a little Pam or oil if necessary.
3. Add one sliced onion and enough water to cover the bottom and half way up the sides of your brisket but not cover it.
4. Cover and cook on the stove until tender, adding more water as needed.
This is even better the next day.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 10:43

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 161/130/132 Female 5'7"
BF:40%/?/We'll see
Progress: 107%

Hi Wendylynn,

Thank you so much for both recipes. I was actually surfing the net for a brisket recipe last night and there are so many that I just didn't know which one to choose. I had settled for something similar to yours but since you mention that it is delicious, I guess I will do it. I am having people over on Friday night and it is very important that they enjoy what I cook as they are considering embarking on Atkins. They celebrate Hanukkah also and I want to prove to them that potato free latkes are just as good. I was also considering parsnip latkes but I have no idea how it would turn out. Guess I could buy turnips and try a few tonight and make some more if it turns out nice.

One important question, though: are your zucchini latkes crunchy?

Sorry to be so demanding !