Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-23, 06:26

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default No more cordon blur: France tries again to ban meaty language on vegetarian products

Quote:
No more cordon blur: France tries again to ban meaty language on vegetarian products

Terms such as ‘steak’, ‘grill’ and ‘spare ribs’ to be removed from plant-based foods if agriculture ministry’s decree is accepted by EU

France’s long-running battle over vegan food names has escalated as the government published a decree banning meaty terms such as “steak”, “grill” or “spare ribs” being used to describe plant-based products.

Marc Fesneau, the French agriculture minister, said the new government decree on products such as “vegan ham” or “plant-based steak” was about helping shoppers and “an issue of transparency and honesty responding to the legitimate expectations of consumers and producers”.

But some vegans and animal rights groups said it showed that the French government was favouring the meat industry. French farmers and meat companies have long complained that customers are unjustly confused by the notion of vegetarian “meat”.

France remains a predominantly meat-eating nation and is the European country with the highest beef and veal consumption per inhabitant.

According to an Ifop poll in 2020, fewer than 1% of the French population is vegan, and the word “vegan” itself had become laden with negative political associations amid rows over activism against butcher shops.

About 24% of French people identify as flexitarian and are cutting down on meat., but studies have shown that sales of vegan products in French supermarkets, including fake meat, are less than in neighbouring countries, such as the UK.

France last year became the first country in the EU to attempt to issue a decree protecting meaty words against use by plant-based products. But the government’s first decree was considered too vague and was suspended by France’s top administrative court, the council of state. The court has asked for guidance from the European court of justice before making its final ruling at a later date.

But the agriculture ministry has instead gone ahead and prepared a new decree, which it says takes into account the judges’ complaints.

The draft decree, which applies only to products made and sold in France, not European imports, bans a list of 21 meat names to describe protein-based products, including “steak”, “escalope”, “spare ribs”, “ham” or “butcher”.

More than 120 other meat-associated names such as “cooked ham”, “poultry”, “sausage”, “nugget” or “bacon” will still be authorised but only if the products do not exceed a certain amount of plant proteins, with percentages ranging between 0.5% and 6%. This would effectively mean that products marketed with labels such as vegan bacon or vegan cocktail sausages would have to change their name.

The decree has been submitted to the European Commission for checking against its detailed food labelling rules.

Guillaume Hannotin, a lawyer for the Proteines France organisation representing makers of vegan and vegetarian alternatives, said the term “plant-based steak” had been in use for more than 40 years.

He told AFP that France’s new decree still contravened EU regulation on labelling for the products, which – unlike milk – lack a strict legal definition and can be referred to by terms in popular use.

Brigitte Gothière, of the French animal rights’ group L214, tweeted that the decree was an example of “manipulation”, calling the French agriculture ministry “the ministry of meat”. She said: “Do people confuse motor oil, olive oil and jojoba oil? I think not. No more than they confuse vegan steak from beef steak.”

She told Europe 1 radio that the decree was “scandalous”.

Charlotte Minvielle, of the French Green party Europe Écologie Les Verts, tweeted that the government had made a priority of “defending the meat lobby”.

Catherine Hélayel, from the Animalist party, tweeted that rather than attacking words, the government should focus on animal and human suffering as well as the climate crisis and the impact of animal farming.

The decree will come into force three months after publication to give operators time to adapt their labelling. It also leaves open the possibility for manufacturers to sell all product stocks labelled before it comes into force, at the latest one year after publication.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-meaty-language
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-23, 09:28

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hurray!!

France has a food history worth protecting!!

Do you know they have a white meat chicken called Bresse?When breeding stock leaves France the name is changed.
It has blue legs, lays a lovely egg and wonderful meat.

How can good quality meat be traded in for chemical laden vegetables??

Go France,Go!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-23, 16:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

GOOD.

This drives me bonkers. If you want to sell and market vegan products, go ahead - but use the proper terminology and nothing deceptive. Example: "Just Egg". Look at how it's sold right next to other carton egg products:

It's the same at my local grocery stores. The thing is, the word "just" is a synonym for "only", and here in Canada, there are products with single ingredients with a brand name of "Just (whatever)" - good example is President's Choice products such as "Just Peanuts" natural peanut butter.

I noticed Wegman's has a PB labelled "Just Peanuts" also.

I almost bought Just Egg, thinking it was... just egg. It's only because I'm in the habit of furiously reading labels that I noticed the "made from plants" at the top. I'm going far-sighted and I'm failing at label-reading more and more in my older age.

This is confusing to the average person, but even more so to anyone who is poorly literate, has poor eyesight, or speaks English as a second language. So listen, Brigitte: if you're trying to sell motor oil and jojoba oil literally on the shelf directly beside olive oil, then YES, people are going to confuse it... you ghoul.

Seeing as many of these vegan replacement products contain allergens like soy, corn and wheat; the labeling should be loud and clear - basically along the lines of "plant-based egg replacement", "chicken-style tofu strips", "grain and vegetable burger-style patties", etc.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-23, 19:47

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It is also insulting that they are using "just" in the sense of morally right and fair, yet instead of one real-food ingredient they are selling processed allergens: Water, Mung Bean Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Dehydrated Onion, Gellan Gum, Natural Carrot Extractives (color), Natural Flavors, Natural Turmeric Extractives (color), Potassium Citrate, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Sugar, Tapioca Syrup, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Transglutaminase, Nisin (preservative).

No thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-23, 07:49

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I recall looking for a carton of liquid egg whites/eggs for some recipe a while back. I almost bought JUST eggs, thinking they really were "just eggs".

Just like Kristine, I'm glad I read the ingredients. I was mostly just checkint to make sure they hadn't added a bunch of preservatives, sugars, starches, or other additives that I didn't want, because most cartons of egg whites have a few additives of some kind in them. Instead, I found out they're not eggs at all. NO EGGS AT ALL. NONE!!!

Nope, the "JUST" apparently means their cause is "JUST" - to eliminate real food from our diets by misleading us to be believe we're eating real food, when it's nothing but a slurry of "plant proteins" and chemicals to make it look and taste sort-of-but-not-really like the real thing.

I was livid when I read the list of ingredients.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-23, 06:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

There's a health food store close by my favorite supermarket, but I never go there because it's vegan only. They would be very surprised how allergic I am to all of THAT. But their deli signboard is visible, with names like Righteous Reuben, which this Reuben fan would not touch with a pole of whatever length. Tofu corned beef. Soy cheese. That's the parts I like best!

These products are 100% UPF and sold as "healthy" because of the overwhelming pro-vegan atmosphere in the zillions that their money can buy. And they have free "foot soldiers" though the Seventh Day Adventist connection, the Kellogg's etc fortunes, and the stranglehold they have on the registered dietician industry.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-23, 09:16

BF:

I can see a lawsuit coming on that use of " Just".

We need clear labeling, which unfortunately has been murky for a very very long time. The "just" completely crosses the line, imho.

I struggle to train DH to turn over item and find the ingredient list in VERY FINE print. Hard for old eyes to read. Hard to get DH to check EVERY item EVERYtime. The ingredients change without notice. And DH is at the end of a long shift and it saves gas money for him to buy then. He is tired and just wants to pick up a few items after work, at 11 pm.

----------

My health is such that I'm discovering all these additives and many foods are suspect. My body is noticably more reactive. Perhaps its "just" that Im paying close attention as my body falls apart after a lifetime of junk American food.

Far easier to buy single ingredient items to control exposure, determine which ingredient is problematic, in hopes of a better functioning body and mind. This is an elimination diet of sorts. Elimination of additives like lab -made chemicals, food colorings, flavoring agents is the easy part. Just buy single ingredient foods.

We do buy tofu sometimes, to make a low carb chocolate pudding.But premade meat substitute tofu is just disgusting. Blech!

In addition to the Seventh Day Advent's push push push, Our nutrition system as set by USA government was a cock-up from the start: a pyramid pushed by an egotistical scientist preaching to an ignorant board, who then pushed this bogus pyramid to all doctors. The plate posters are the current reiteration.

We sure need to keep our eyes open!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-23, 04:21

BF:

The really difficult part is how no one wants to believe it, because they rely on that food, and the more miserable the food makes them, the more attractive it becomes...

They can't cross those wires in their mind. Which is a sign of addiction, but one can hardly tell all these people that. Many of them are likely more irrational than they would otherwise be without their high consumption of actual Frankenfoods.

Now that fall is coming around again, I am switching to hot smoothies. And if I hadn't made them from mixes, I wouldn't know about the amount of SLUDGE that would result at the bottom of my cup, which I was better off not eating but did clog my pipes

All while the increased protein content was doing me good. Yet the artificial stuff in it turned out to be a considerable portion. And they were charging me whey protein rates for it.

I love making my own now. It tastes so much better. I wish all the people who can't get away from this addictive food product understood that better tasting food is out there. If we stay away, the bad food ceases to be attractive.

I understand that it's difficult to grasp. But essential to get started.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-23, 06:57

BF:

Learning to cook is a necessary skill. It supports eating real food, and eliminates reliance on fast food, packaged foods.

Real food can be simple to make. Made chili for the family the other night.

2# ground beef, browned
Onion, chopped
2cans beans
1 can spaghetti sauce
4T chili powder
Salt

DH and DS loved it. Took 15 minutes to pull together, then let it cook.

I used ingredients on hand. Would have preferred canned tomatoes, but none in pantry. So improvised using spaghetti sauce.

Yes, eating real food, not franken food is critical to good health, and mental health. Like stop crossing those wires.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-23, 19:01

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
France remains a predominantly meat-eating nation and is the European country with the highest beef and veal consumption per inhabitant.

They eat a lot of full fat foods, drink wine, and live longer, healthier lives than those who are convinced low-fat, vegan meals are healthier.

Sounds to me like the French are doing it right. But what do I know?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-23, 03:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Sounds to me like the French are doing it right. But what do I know?

They smoke and drink a lot more, while also living longer. They called it the French Paradox, but that's only an admission we are working from bad assumptions.

That's what it means.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-23, 06:57

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
<...snip...>They called it the French Paradox, <...>

I call it the French Formula for a longer, healthier life (minus the smoking though)
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-23, 05:15

BF:

This angle, about "oat milk" and tofurkey, is an incredibly important one. Which is why there is so much pushback from the people who make money from such.

In the US, chocolate rules have been relaxed, which makes me even more of a label reader. I got used to seeing the hodgepodge at the bottom of the ingredients list as small amounts that didn't matter. Now I know they do. And what is more, they are much MORE of the macros on the label than I ever imagined.

For a while, there was a crisis and all the ice cream had to be labeled "quiescently frozen confection."

Quote:
This phrase actually refers to the fact that flavored ice is simply put in a refrigerator and frozen. The word "quiescently" means in a restful state. This distinction is made because ice cream and most other frozen confections are stirred or agitated in a process known as overrunning. For example, overrunning is what causes the ice cream mixture to expand as it slowly freezes by creating little bubbles of air in the mixture. It requires constant agitation until the confection is ready. Quiescently frozen mixtures are not stirred or agitated at all after the mixture is prepared.

https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question499.htm

As the article states, such a substance is not true ice cream. It has a lot of stuff in it to help it pretend to be ice cream, and a busy person might not notice. And then they would buy it anyway, because it still looks like ice cream.

That's the insidious creep into Frankenfoods. My only contact with fast food is now through my television, and I'm astonished at how layers of batter and bun cover any possible meat, and who knows if it's really meat? If Taco Bell can sell a "beef burrito" that is mostly textured vegetable protein, unless they state 100% meat, it's not.

I look at the macros on the label, and ask myself, how much of the protein, fat, and carbohydrates -- which are the only categories -- are really made of the most common food ingredients: Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), Artificial Food Coloring, Sodium Nitrite, Guar Gum, High-Fructose Corn Syrup, Artificial Sweeteners, and Trans Fat.

And that is a tiny list of possibilities. The amount of hot smoothie sludge that clogged my sink makes the think they are hiding it in the label in ways people won't notice.

Quote:
The Impossible Burger is made from soy protein concentrate, coconut oil, sunflower oil, potato protein, methylcellulose, yeast extract, salt, gums, and water and additives, including vitamin B12, zinc, vitamin B6, thiamin (B1) and niacin. The ingredient that gives an Impossible Burger the taste of meat is heme.

But it's labeled as a burger and sold next to actual meat. Such deceptive alignment is part of fooling the consumer. Because just read that list! Is there any FOOD in it?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-23, 09:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

While shopping out of town this past summer, I picked up a package that had all the words describing a delicious meat food only to find it was a plant-based, manufactured product. This is a good and wise move.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-23, 11:32

BF:

Quote:
That's the insidious creep into Frankenfoods. My only contact with fast food is now through my television, and I'm astonished at how layers of batter and bun cover any possible meat, and who knows if it's really meat? If Taco Bell can sell a "beef burrito" that is mostly textured vegetable protein, unless they state 100% meat, it's not.

I dont eat out. Can't trust the food. Tired of reading the fine print on boxes!! So .....

I dont buy/eat prepackaged foods either. Far easier to be sure of content when cooking with real whole foods.

My lamb comes from my ewes. The beef looks like steaks in the fresh meat aisle.

Apparently honey isn't honey either. In the US, per Dr Berry, 30% of honey is adulterated with other sugars. And you cant taste the difference. Imho the local honey sold at local hardware store is looking less expensive. (Those honey bees visit a friend's swimming pool in the summer for a drink.)

Im tired of the lacks laws in the US. European countries protect their food industry as its about national treasures: artisal foods.