Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-23, 19:10

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Keto for Kids With Diabetes Carries Risk, AAP Warns

https://www.medpagetoday.com/pediat...diatrics/106386

This is a very biased AAP Committee on Nutrition report. They are against low-carb eating plans for children because there are no long-term studies on the plans even though the shorter-term results are good. They also have concerns about hypothetical problems.
Quote:
In terms of efficacy, low- and very low-carb diets have had positive results in adults with both type 1 and 2 diabetes. The limited pediatric data includes a retrospective chart review of young people with type 2 diabetes who followed a ketogenic, very low-calorie diet for an average of 60 days. It found that those who followed the diet plan had short-term diabetes remission and decreased body mass indexopens in a new tab or window (BMI) for at least 6 weeks compared with those who did not, Hannon and colleagues noted.

However, they added, "Long-term outcomes of youth following carbohydrate-restricted diets on diabetes and cardiovascular outcomes are needed and may be underreported because of attrition."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-23, 11:35

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

My children are now young adults.

I pushed real wholesome foods when they are about 5. Dumped cold cereal. Pushed leftover dinner for breakfast. Dumped juices. Mostly water. Little milk.

My boys could skip breakfast at times , as teens. Often so busy on farm first meal was after,6 pm. My youngest never eats breakfast as in HS first lunch was about 10:30. Now in the trades , lunch is about 11, and he skips breakfast ALL days.

I did my best to prevent obesity in my children. I stopped baking goodies and bread when I read DANDR before my boys were conceived.So few sweets in years before school years started. The crap they got was in school. Not at home

At 19 and 21 both are very lean and well muscled.

Im praying they hold onto good food habits. Imho they are in ketosis in those hours between last meal of day and first meal. And even between meals, as time between meals can be long.

My oldest can polish off three THREE luncheon plates of food. yet he is very thin, cant pinch an inch, cant pinch a half inch. He eats a lot in one meal, then goes for hours without eating.Like that was dinner, next meal will be late morning.

My boys are not obese and obviously don't need to fix diabetes. But they do need to use ketosis on a regular bases. I never hear" mom, Im hungry".
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-23, 05:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

A father of a type 1 kid was a physicist and worked out a plan for his child that let him stay healthy on keto, thanks to a glucose meter.

He partnered with Dr. Bernstein's of Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. They are running a video series to educate parents. They are both indignant that the advice is so bad.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-23, 05:28

BF:

Dr Ken Berry's kids eat meat and veg. Dr Berry is a family physician and carnivore.

Maria Emmerich, a nutritionist, has both her boys on carnivore.

Anyone studying these children? Clearly the parents are trusting in logic until studies are published.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-23, 09:46

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

More propaganda from those who fear this condition might be fixed simply by changing one's diet. Where's the profit and ability to control in that . . . ???
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-23, 11:52

BF:

What Rob said,: sad but true.

Even primaries benefit fom sick people. Esp diabetes which is progressive. ( wink wink)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-17-23, 05:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

What scares me are the vegan moms!