I'm amused at how many different kinds of cooking fat I've accumulated over the last few months. Check it out!
In no particular order:
- EVOO for certain Mediterranean recipes
- light-tasting olive oil because I otherwise hate the taste of EVOO
- EV coconut oil for coconutty recipes like desserts and curries
- refined coconut oil because I otherwise hate the taste of CO
- butter, mainly for veggies and bread-like things
- clarified butter for cooking
- beef tallow, acquired after making broth
- bacon grease
- lard from a huge batch of ribs
- chicken fat
Not pictured: jalapeno bacon grease, just acquired last night after making bacon-wrapped poppers
The saved fats, I generally render them gently on the stove as if I was making clarified butter. The goal is to cook the water out so that it will last longer in the fridge. Then I let them cool, pour through a stainless steel coffee filter, and store.