Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-29-21, 08:55
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default Switching plans?

Since returning from hospital, I've gone back to LC eating, but have begun each day with a 30gm protein shake. It has made me wonder if I need to switch to Protein Power.
Nobody is posting in the form so I can't read up on other experiences.
Hence, new thread.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-29-21, 09:06

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I drink a 100% grass-fed, Jersey cow whey shake every morning.

Since the brand I buy is unflavored I put a little stevia in it and a bit of zero carb/calorie sweetener from DaVinci or Torani.

And to keep from getting too much protein and not enough fat to stay in ketosis, I put a tablespoon of MCT oil in it as well.

My daily plan is what I call "lazy keto": Fewer than 20 calories per day, and twice as much fat as protein.

Bob
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-29-21, 12:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Glenda. I don't know if you even need to label whatever your plan is: just sounds like therapeutic ketosis with adequate protein levels to me. I don't remember much about the PP numbers - I had taken the book out of the library. Then, I later lost my copy of PP Lifeplan in a move. I DO remember that their plans are flexible for different preferences and needs.

Do you have a copy of the book? I wish the Eades would have gotten around to updating the books like they were thinking of doing years ago. Heh.

Good luck; I'll follow you a bit more in your journal to see how this pans out for you.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-29-21, 12:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Glenda,
High protein diets are very popular now, but since Dr Eades hasn’t written a new book in years, it is Dr Ted Naiman's The P:E Diet. If you still read DietDoctor, Dr Naiman has been brought on as a consultant after a number of the staff got leaner than they ever thought possible by increasing protein and lowering fat. Of course, healing from any injury benefits by increasing protein, hope you are doing well. I am now below my original goal weight and thinking about college weight as a goal. Crazy.

To lower fat, increasing fiberous carbs helps, so both Dr Naiman's plan, and a companion higher protein nutrient density focus from Marty Kendall are on the Semi-LC forum. Both threads are active and filled with good material over the past year:
https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138

Highly recommend The P:E Diet book (on Kindle for $20) though the basics of the its weight loss version are at the few tabs and tips at this website: https://www.lowenergydiet.com/
I simply followed his "tips" to start…he suggests protein powders in filtered milk, cottage cheese or zero fat yogurt with frozen berries. I have it at least once a day more as dessert. Marty's advice is definitely to move the protein forward in the day, starting with the protein drink, eggs, etc all good.

And there have been great interviews on DietDoctor about protein and many podcasts with Dr Naiman and Marty Kendall to learn more about the science of high protein. Many links in those two threads at semi-LC.

Btw, Dr Eades is now writing a weekly newsletter. I keep it for his wide-ranging book recommendations, but the newsletter can wing off to various non-nutrition related topics, somewhat long-winded. It's been many months since the topic of a new book was even hinted at.

Sending best wishes for a full recovery.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, May-29-21 at 13:19.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-30-21, 09:16
Doing My Best

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking around.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-21, 10:44
Doing My Best

I suppose there's no need to "declare" a change in plan so I'm just staying loosely where I am. I did add hot cereal. I'm experimenting. Today I had half plain oatmeal and half ground flaxseed. The gumminess of the flax was a bit off-putting at first, but as I ate, I found that it held everything together nicely for ease of eating.
Thanks to all for the information.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-21, 16:25

I made a flax meal focaccia bread today because I've been low on fiber for a Nutrient Optimization class. While I was digging out that old Low Carb recipe, saw the flax protein "cereal recipe" I use to make. A 1/4 cup flax meal and a scoop of protein powder. Add hot water until it is the consistency you like...gummy or a thinner mix. 30g protein and 8 grams fiber. I always liked the muffins too...but for "higher protein" this would work.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-21, 06:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

After having low carbed since 2003 and never really falling all the way off the wagon, I have found that I can be strict AND indulgent, when I look at my choices in light of what keeps me on a plan that works.

I've shaken things up so many times, but I always learn something, and I'm at my lowest weight, and best health control, yet. Since we get older and wiser, I think we should never stop experimenting.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-21, 07:31
Doing My Best

Well, last week's mammogram was wonky. This week I learn my fate.
Is there a better plan for cancer?
2021 so far is not my favorite year.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-21, 07:51

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Glenda, so sorry to hear about the mammo. But, it might be nothing. According to all my reading lately, the "better plan for cancer" is full-on keto. If you can, read "Tripping Over the Truth: How the Metabolic Theory of Cancer Is Overturning One of Medicine's Most Entrenched Paradigms." You can get it on Amazon for $10.44 (Kindle) or $13.73 (Paperback). Dr. Eades recommended it highly in one of his blog posts years ago. I read it and was astounded. I always believed the "mutation" theory of cancer until I read this book. Excellent, excellent reading. At the end is a good guide to how best to eat if you have been diagnosed with cancer. Totally worth the money.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-21, 11:50

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Here's hoping the mammo results come back clear.

My understanding is that a ketogenic diet is probably the best if you have cancer. Cancer cells are metabolic hogs, but they can generally only process glucose, so if you keep your blood sugars down they grow and spread much more slowly and are much more susceptible to both chemo and radiation therapies.

It's been used for years in the treatment of brain tumors and they typically want to get you into even deeper levels of ketosis than most people achieve when doing it for weight loss.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-21, 17:06

Glenda, wonky often means just that..shadows, something odd on one film that disappears the next.
Plus you have been eating so well for so many years, there may not be much to change.

Miriam Kalamian's book is very practical…it is her diet guidelines in the back of Tripping over the Truth. https://www.dietarytherapies.com/foods

My radiation oncologist now at Duke has some good Health Guides:

https://colinchamp.com/health-guides/

And videos/lectures: https://colinchamp.com/health-guides/
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-17-21, 17:58

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Glenda - One never knows with mammogram results. Mine used to be wonky every time I had one. They would call me back in just to find out it was nothing. I certainly hope that's the case with you.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-21, 06:21
Doing My Best

Thank you.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-21, 09:03

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I'm sending some healthy mojos out your way.