Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 20:13

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default HRT, Frustration/Depression, and UnSupportive Traditional Medicine Practitioners

Today was the long awaited GYN appt-- a very long month-long wait. I anticipated a smooth meeting, laying out my needs for HRT supplements and quickly arriving at the perfect solution, with a Cinderella -like ideal.

She wanted thyroid tests, and no estrogren, no progesterone. Runaround about testosterone--- her impression is I want to be a male weightlifter, not just a touch to get back to normal. THen ending with getting testosterone levels verified to bring up the level. Huh? THAT wwas a 180.

No support for bioidenticals--actually poo-poo'd the dosing. Like a perfect dosing of a synthetic is somehow more perfect the first try ......really? A woman's body is unique, and what the perfect dosing is, is based on how that woman feels. How is my body suddenly a machine, that requires exactly 2.o mg of X and will feel perfect. WTH?

With my latest effort to find a doctor or other appropriate medical professional that understands the bioidenticals, and basically told I am mentally off and in need of an SSRI , in which the getting off of was carefully noted as a side effect.... I firmly said NO. Why is that the go to? ANd not progesterone? I felt frustrated that how I as a patient want to run my life is not in alignment with these limited thinking doctors ........where is what I want.....

THis so felt like they dont know enough about HRT, just like the food pyramid is upside down, and the medical profession is doing a good job of hurting me more than helping me.

HOW DO I FIND A NATURAL DOCTOR that is not driven by big pharma? I tried my pharmacy, who makes the personalized HRT cream for individual patients.....

At the moment, Im on my own again on this journey to better health.

Glad I have the members of this LC forum for support. Lifts my spirits.

To prove to myself that I am NOT nuts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zc84zjhywo

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, May-29-18 at 20:59.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 21:10

BF:

Stumbled on this utube video. Mulling it over. Totally ne concepts.

What does it mean if I tend to do all these foods as a rule?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PA-UCC-1Hg
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 21:13

BF:

Although the corpus luteum in the ovaries is the major site of progesterone production in humans, progesterone is also produced in smaller quantities by the ovaries themselves, the adrenal glands and, during pregnancy, the placenta.
Progesterone | You and Your Hormones from the Society for ...
www.yourhormones.info/hormones/progesterone/

Taking vitamin supplements of B6, can also help reduce levels of estrogen while boosting progesterone production. Good sources: Russet potatoes, salmon, tuna, bananas, spinach, walnuts, beef, chicken, sweet potato, beans and prunes.Mar 21, 2017
9 Nutrients That Boost Your Progesterone and Balance Your Hormones
https://www.hormonesbalance.com/......erone-balance-h...

Does this ork if only the adrenals are functioning?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 21:16

BF:

ummmm. these look familiar to my early 40's----

Signs of low progesterone can include:
Spotting before your period.
Very heavy menstrual flow.
Premenstrual syndrome, especially poor sleep and anxiety.
Difficulty getting pregnant.
Early miscarriage (before 7 weeks)
Perimenopause symptoms such as mood swings, difficulty sleeping, heavy periods & irregular cycles.
7 Signs of Low Progesterone & Tips for Hormone Balance
darouwellness.com/7-signs-of-progesterone-tips-for-hormone-balance/
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 21:20

BF:

THis means low progesterone is weight gain, and normal levels or high is weight loss??

So, menopause weight gain is actually hormone weight gain. ... Progesterone: It is also common for progesterone levels to decrease during menopause. Progesterone's role in weight gain is more deceiving; low levels of the hormone do not actually cause you to gain weight, but instead cause water retention or bloating.
Weight Gain - BodyLogicMD
https://www.bodylogicmd.com/for-wom...and-weight-gain
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 21:21

BF:

hmmmmmm...

Progesterone is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory. Reducing inflammation also helps your brain to receive anther hormone called Leptin, which helps to regulate your appetite. Balanced hormones make it easier to eat in moderation and lose weight.Jun 26, 2014
6 Ways Progesterone Helps With Weight Loss! - Dr. Shel Wellness ...
http://www.drshel.com/blog/bioident...ps-weight-loss/
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 21:24

BF:

The ob/gyn nurse I saw to day wanted me to take an SSRI drug for depression. NO WAY. I prefer to take St John's Wort, it too is an SSRI. When I told her I took supplements, she didnt ask which ones. THAT was very telling imho.

Low estrogen levels often found in menopause can cause feelings of sadness and hopelessness. Progesterone: This hormone helps to balance estrogen, helps promote sleep and has a natural calming effect. ... Cortisol: This stress hormone can cause depression if levels rise too high or fall to far below average.
Depression Symptoms in Women Due to Hormones | BodyLogicMD
https://www.bodylogicmd.com/for-wom...-and-depression
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 21:29

BF:

I am being told the opposite of this. Progesterone causes breast cancer. IMO when the balance is out of wack, then the protectiveness is tipped toward disease state.

"When estrogen dominates there is also a strong breast cancer risk, so it’s important to protect yourself, if you suspect you have low progesterone. I talk about the breast cancer and estrogen link more here in this post."

"It’s not surprising then, that research from the University of Adelaide in Australia has confirmed that progesterone may be beneficial in treating breast cancer."

https://hormonesbalance.com/article...lance-hormones/
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 21:34

BF:

Brain fog: Brain functions benefits from progesterone. It is also is involved in the production of the myelin sheath, which protects your nerve cells. It is so important to brain health that research from Emory University indicates benefits from giving progesterone to help people recover from traumatic brain injury and stroke.

Sagging skin: Skin stays supple when there is enough progesterone, which helps to stimulate the production of collagen.

Thyroid issues: As I mentioned, low progesterone leads to estrogen dominance, which can interfere with the conversion of the inactive T4 thyroid hormone to the active T3 thyroid hormone.

(same source as above)

Again, she said absolutely not re strokes.
and with only half of my thyroid tissue, hmmmm, shouldnt what's left get all possible support?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 21:42

BF:

more from same website.....

tress Is the Major Progesterone Robber
Doing everything at warp speed is a major downside of modern living. You race the clock and feel you never have enough hours in your day. Often you feel you can’t cope because you have no control over your life.

Don’t underestimate the fallout.

Progesterone is a big casualty of stress. Every time you’re anxious or wound up due to that traffic jam, huge in-tray, an argument with your partner, or car repair bill, your body responds as though your life is in danger. Hello, adrenalin and cortisol.

These fight or flight hormones have enormous impacts and lead to chronic symptoms of hormone imbalance. This happens because your body thinks you’re in an unsafe environment and drops progesterone levels to ensure the lining of your uterus is not-conception friendly. This makes sense, given that your brain signals are saying your life is under threat. As a result, you may develop Luteal Phase Insufficiency.

Here’s why: each month when an egg is released causing you to ovulate, it leaves behind a crater on the surface of your ovaries. This is called a corpus luteum and it’s like a little pop-up factory where most of your progesterone is made. When you ovulate, your body produces around 25mg of progesterone daily all through the fertile phase of your menstrual cycle.

Or, it should produce this amount. But I constantly see a hormonal imbalance in women that leads them to have:

Estrogen Dominance + Luteal Phase Insufficiency = Progesterone Deficiency.

The end result? Many women fail to reach this progesterone peak in the second half of their menstrual cycle. This means a huge drop in the very hormone that helps promote calm and is important for fertility and a stable menstrual cycle.

How Cortisol (stress) Steals Progesterone: Both these hormones are produced from pregnenolone. When you are in chronic stress, the body will always divert the available pregnenolone to produce higher amounts of cortisol to help you get through stress. This means there might not be enough to produce sufficient levels of progesterone. This is called “pregnenolone steal” and it’s the leading cause of low progesterone problems. I discuss this in more detail in this adrenal fatigue post.

Measuring Low Progesterone
Keeping track of certain changes in your menstrual cycle can help to indicate if you have low progesterone. Telltale signs include:

Low temperature during the luteal phase (roughly 11 – 14 days from ovulation mid-cycle, to menstruation).
Spotting for several days before menstruation starts.
The luteal phase of your cycle (from ovulation to period) is shorter than the follicular phase.
Persistence in the clear, stretchy, fertile mucus of ovulation during those last few weeks of your cycle – this can be a sign of Estrogen Dominance. If progesterone levels are sufficient, your mucous should change to a tackier, drier consistency in the lead-up to your menstrual period.
Of course, you can get lab tests. The most accurate is urine test. I like the DUTCH test but you need to find a practitioner to help you interpret the results. (You can email my team to ask for recommendations). To find a doctor in your area, here is a list of directories for you. Blood is utterly useless when it comes to steroid hormones such as progesterone.
Bio-Identical Progesterone To Balance Hormones Naturally
Though progesterone can be given as a cream to help boost low levels, many women find this causes side effects that may include issues like heart palpitations, sleepiness or nausea. If you overdo the dose and have too much progesterone, it can build up in the fat tissue of the body and can then take three to six months to clear the excess.

I also feel that by relying solely on bio-identical hormones, you are turning a deaf ear to all the causes of low progesterone such as emotional stress, physical stress from bacterial, viral or parasitic infections, toxicity issues, excess alcohol, etc. No doubt, some women who, for example, lost their uterus or who live in stressful circumstances that won’t go away any time soon, will benefit from bio-identical progesterone to get on with their lives.

Try this brand: Designs for Health

My preference where possible is to adopt a diet that supports hormone balance.

Firstly, you need to ensure you are choosing the best foods for hormone balance for your body, To learn more about this, sign up for my Free Cooking for Balance Workshop.

Related Links: “How to Use Food to Rebalance Your Hormones” – FREE Online Workshop

Next, it helps to include more progesterone-boosting food in your daily meals.

Balancing Progesterone Levels with Food
Though no foods contain progesterone, the following micro-nutrients can provide the environment needed to support your body to boost progesterone levels:

Vitamin C

Research shows that vitamin C can help boost progesterone levels and correct luteal phase issues.

Good sources: Camu camu (Peruvian berry), sweet potato, kiwi, strawberries, oranges, papaya and pumpkin. Many other veggies also boost vitamin C too, including broccoli, mustard greens, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts and lemons.

Try this: Add ½ teaspoon of camu camu to any of these hormone balancing smoothie recipes.

Zinc

This important mineral is not just a must have for your immunity and skin. Zinc also helps the pituitary gland to release follicle-stimulating hormones. These encourage ovulation and they also tell your ovaries to produce more progesterone, just in case you become pregnant each month.

Good sources: Oysters, shrimp (prawns), beef, lamb, liver, shellfish, red meat, pumpkin and cashew nuts.

Try this brand: Hormone Balance Nutritionals

Magnesium

This important mineral not only helps to preserve progesterone levels through keeping you calmer, it also assists the breakdown of the antagonistic estrogen metabolites, reducing estrogen dominance.

Other good sources: Cashews, leafy greens such as kale and Swiss chard, pumpkin seeds, black beans, lentils and other legumes, cacao, mackerel fish and whole grain brown rice.

Try this: Massaged Kale Salad

Vitamin E

Research shows that vitamin E can help to improve luteal bloodflow and raise progesterone levels in some women.

Sources: Sunflower seeds, almonds, and hazelnuts. In smaller amounts: avocado, sunflower seeds, red peppers, collard greens, pumpkin, asparagus, butternut squash, broccoli and mango.

Try this: Almond Flour Zucchini Apple Pancakes

Vitamin B6

The B vitamins help combat stress and also help your liver break down estrogen byproducts, reducing estrogen dominance.

Taking vitamin supplements of B6, can also help reduce levels of estrogen while boosting progesterone production.

Good sources: Russet potatoes, salmon, tuna, bananas, spinach, walnuts, beef, chicken, sweet potato, beans and prunes.

Try this: Easy Thai Salmon

Try this brand: Pure Encapsulations

Good cholesterol

Cholesterol is needed in your body to make pregnenolone, which as I’ve said, is the “mother hormone.” Pregnenolone then goes on to help make progesterone, which is a precursor for other hormones, like testosterone and estrogen.

Good sources: Coconut oil, coconut butter, turkey and red meat, eggs and yogurt (if you can tolerate them), olives and olive oil.

Try this: Cauliflower and Coconut Red Lentils

Sulfur

Cruciferous vegetables are a great way to reduce Estrogen Dominance. They are rich in glucosinolates, which activate phase 2 detoxification in the liver, helping to filter estrogen metabolites from your body. This is good news for your hormone balance because it prevents estrogen byproducts circulating for too long, which can raise estrogen levels and cause hormonal havoc.

Other good sources: Broccoli, collard greens, kale, Swiss chard, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts.

Try my: Creamy Asparagus Broccoli Salad

Fiber

Fiber is essential in good hormonal balance; it helps with bowel movement and the evacuation of metabolized hormones, including the harmful estrogens which antagonize progesterone from doing its work.

Good sources: Flaxseed, quinoa, millet, amaranth, teff, gluten-free oats.

Try this: Carrot Orange Muffins

L-Arginine

This amino acid is found in high-protein foods and it helps your body make nitric acid. In turn the nitric acid, relaxes your blood vessels so that circulation increases. This then ensures that your corpus luteum and other organs such as your ovaries enjoy improved blood flow to help them produce more progesterone.

Other good sources: Lentils and chickpeas, fish, such as salmon, tuna and trout, turkey, chicken, pork, pumpkin seeds, walnuts and dairy foods (if well tolerated).

Try this: Sausage, Bean and Sauerkraut Soup

#11   ^
Old Tue, May-29-18, 21:44

BF:

Reading all this points out that this nurse missed all my signs during my early 40's. Really she did see it as she gave me progesterone to s upport my pregnancies, but apparently didnt see the value in the years following.

Time to move on????
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-30-18, 05:18

BF:

She sounds knowledgeable-----do like her approach. Some I have heard before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDReIXJ_cJw
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-30-18, 06:01

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I know nothing about HRT so I can't add anything to that discussion. What I do know about is conventional medicine. Having dealt with multiple health issues and getting no help from conventional medicine I finally realized that if I was going to find solutions to my health issues I was going to have to discover them for myself. I now consider my realization that conventional medical doctors should be reserved for acute problems to be one of the most important understanding I could have. By not expecting conventional medicine to have the answers I have been able to let go of any expectations that they can help me. This allows me to let go of all the anger and upset they used to cause me when they just didn't get it. Going it alone has been the best thing I could have done. I understand that there is a role for conventional medicine but it has been important for me in this journey towards health to discover how limited that role is and how important my own role is in optimizing my health.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-30-18, 06:18

BF:

Jean. Thank you for sharing your experience and wisedom. You are TOTALLY right.

A homeopathic doc would be a great choice---but I think I can pull together a reasonable plan and execute it.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-30-18, 07:42

BF:

https://draxe.com/vitex/

Excellent details on chasteberry for men and women. and doses.
Long article.