Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 20:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/173/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Enchilada's for Everyone

Enchilada's for Everyone

These enchilada's are really good. You can make them as standard which are very yummy but the low carb version is so good too. My mom makes 1/2 low carb and 1/2 standard so the whole family can enjoy them together. Carb count varies based on thickener and tortilla used. Usually 5-6 gm each if you use very low carb thickener and 3 net carb whole wheat tortillas.

3 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup low carb thickener (or flour for regular style)
2 - 14oz cans chicken broth
1 tsp dried coriander (or cumin)
1 - 4 oz can chopped green chilies, divided (** optional)
2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie is best)
1 cup (4 oz) shredded monterey jack cheese (or mexican blend)
8 tortillas (low carb for you, regular flour for friends/family)
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese

For sauce, melt butter in saucepan. Stir in thickener/flour until smooth. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in coriander/cumin and half of the chilies. In a bowl, combine the chicken, monterey jack cheese and remaining chilies.

Spoon 1/3 cup chicken mixture onto each tortilla; roll up. Place seam side down in an ungreased 12-in x 9-in x 2-in baking dish. Pour sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375F for 15-18 min or until heated through and cheese is melted.

Enjoy!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-08, 21:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/198.7/160 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 21%

What do you use as a low carb thickener? Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-08, 12:52
Registered Member

BF:
Default Low Carb Thickener

The Low Carb Thickener that I used was "Thick-n-Thin". I haven't bought it in a while. I'll try to find out where you can get it.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-08, 12:59
Registered Member

BF:
Default Low Carb Thickener - Found it

I found the thickener that I used for the Enchiladas. You can do a web search to find it online - and/or just get an idea what the packaging looks like so you can look in a local health food store. There are other ThickenThin products available but this thickener is amazing. Worth the extra $$ in my opinion. I'm going to buy a new bag.

<excerpt>
ThickenThin not/Starch thickener works like cornstarch to make grain-free and carb-conscious sauces soups, gravies and more. Best of all, ThickenThin not/Starch thickener adds only fiber carbohydrates to your recipes! Use ThickenThin not/Starch thickener anywhere you need thicker liquids such as salad dressings and marinades.
<excerpt>

Last edited by 8forlife : Sat, Feb-02-08 at 13:03. Reason: Correction