Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 13:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Log your food intake an analyze it for sodium in My Plan. Or measure out 2 tsp of salt each day and make sure you add most of it to your food. Or, drink a couple of cups of salty broth everyday.
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 13:28

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 365/301/140 Female 5"9'
BF:
Progress: 28%

Okay, that sounds easy enough. I was curious as to whether or not upping ones sodium level might have a laxative effect? I remember years ago trying a salt water flush, and that was the outcome (to put it delicately).
  #243   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 14:31

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

I don't aim for any amount, I figure my body will let me know if I have too much - which would make me thirsty - or too little - which would make me crave salt.

I used to crave salt so much I'd shake some into my hand & lick it - sometimes I thought I should get my own salt lick block!

But now I must be getting the right amount - no excessive thirst & I don't crave it. But I do put salt on almost everything I eat. As long as you don't get way, way too much, you'll just pee out the excess.
  #244   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 19:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Quote:
I don't aim for any amount, I figure my body will let me know if I have too much - which would make me thirsty - or too little - which would make me crave salt.

If you don't have symptoms, don't worry about it. If you do, you may need to increase the salt and other electrolytes you're taking in.
  #245   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 14:23

Plan: Insulin Resistance WOE
Stats: 235/235/105 Female 62
BF:
Progress:

I found washing soda at WinCo, if you have one near you. Before that, I subscribed on Amazon, as I make my own laundry detergent.
When I make myself a steak or meat patty, I like to sprinkle liberally the meat with salt, though I had read that it was bad for me. Nope, I should listen to my body more!
  #246   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 20:59

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabooo
I found washing soda at WinCo, if you have one near you. Before that, I subscribed on Amazon, as I make my own laundry detergent.
When I make myself a steak or meat patty, I like to sprinkle liberally the meat with salt, though I had read that it was bad for me. Nope, I should listen to my body more!

Washing soda? I hope you are not advocating washing soda (sodium carbonate) instead of table salt (sodium chloride).
  #247   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-14, 06:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Adding an interesting half hour video to to this thread, though for the nerdy types I find Dr. Fung an interesting speaker and enjoy his talks, but it is all research and itty bitty graphs of study results.

He tears apart the studies and flimsy evidence that salt is harmful. Lower salt equals higher cardiac event rates, higher hormone levels that are harmful (normally ones medicine tries to block; renin, aldosterone), more adverse health effects, etc.

Low salt diet may not only not be good, but harmful.

http://intensivedietarymanagement.c...ity-salt-scare/
  #248   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-14, 08:52

Chris Kresser's series on Salt may have been posted before here, but a new study reported in this week's WSJ has revived the debate.

Quote:
The Wall Street Journal recently reported on the longstanding, international debate over salt and sodium guidelines and whether or not our current targets are set too low for optimal health. A new study came out recently in the New England Journal of Medicine supporting the belief that cutting back on sodium too much actually poses health hazards, including premature death. This study found that those who consumed fewer than 3,000 milligrams (mg) of sodium a day had a 27% higher risk of death or a serious event such as a heart attack or stroke in that period than those whose intake was estimated at 3,000 to 6,000 mg.

While many researchers supported the findings as further evidence corroborating with other studies done in the past few years, there are many still who adamantly support the recommendations to consume less than 2,300 mg of sodium daily; the most notable of these advocates being the American Heart Association. It amazes me that this is still a debate, with the amount of evidence that has accumulated to this point discrediting the current guidelines and demonstrating that they may do more harm than good if adhered to.

In fact, I’ve written an entire series on salt, explaining the physiological requirements for salt and theories on the “optimal” dietary salt range. In this series, I present evidence for the dangers of too little and too much salt, and give recommendations for the type and amount of salt to include in the diet. Let’s just say my conclusions don’t support those of the AHA recommending 2,300 mg per day! You’ll have to read the series to learn more and to discover the best way to include salt in your diet in a healthy way.

Wall Street Journal:
Quote:
A long-running debate over the merits of eating less salt escalated Wednesday when one of the most comprehensive studies yet suggested cutting back on sodium too much actually poses health hazards.

Current guidelines from U.S. government agencies, the World Health Organization, the American Heart Association and other groups set daily dietary sodium targets between 1,500 and 2,300 milligrams or lower, well below the average U.S. daily consumption of about 3,400 milligrams.

The new study, which tracked more than 100,000 people from 17 countries over an average of more than three years, found that those who consumed fewer than 3,000 milligrams of sodium a day had a 27% higher risk of death or a serious event such as a heart attack or stroke in that period than those whose intake was estimated at 3,000 to 6,000 milligrams. Risk of death or other major events increased with intake above 6,000 milligrams.

WSJ: http://online.wsj.com/articles/reco...ests-1407964274

Kresser's Salt Series: http://chriskresser.com/specialreports/salt
  #249   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-14, 13:12

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Can anyone tell me how much salt equals 3000 mg of sodium?
  #250   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-14, 14:02

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Can anyone tell me how much salt equals 3000 mg of sodium?

It depends on the salt you're using. Usually, the milligram (mg) amount is listed on the nutrition information.
Mine (sea salt and Himalayan pink) are somewhere in the high 400 mg per 1/4 tsp neighborhood.
  #251   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-14, 14:13

It varies, but about 1.5 tsp or 8 grams of salt, which is the amount the Weston Price Foundation had already determined to be the sufficient.
http://www.westonaprice.org/health-...and-our-health/
  #252   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-14, 12:30

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweny70
I am SO glad I ran across this thread...I haven't been successfully LCing in the last year and alot of it was because I kept raising my carbs because I thought the leg cramps, heart thumping, low energy was because of eating LC. I also was feeling horrible when I was trying to run and do my kickboxing classes...
I would get EXTREMELY painful leg cramps and feel like I was going to pass out....I didn't want to feel like this anymore and I didn't want to give up the running and kickboxing which I was really enjoying...So I raised my carbs thinking that was the problem....However once I started raising my carbs back came my cravings and I haven't been able to get and stay on track since.

To think this whole time it might just have been a matter of raising my salt intake?!?! Wow, if so--I'm SO EXCITED!! It makes sense!

Now I'm really excited to get back on track with LC and this time I'm going to make sure I raise my salt intake to the 5grams. Hopefully that will be the answer!!

Thanks for all the great input everyone!!

I AGREE!!! I am sooooo PUMPED to read all this info. What and AMAZING thread!!! SO AWESOME! I could have written your post! Heart arrhythmia, killer cramps, fatigue....
I LOVE SALT and I'm always trying to REDUCE the amount I use...

Not anymore.

Hopefully upping to 2 tsp./day will improve my symptoms and make me "feel awesome and full of energy" like so many on here! I wanna feel awesome too.
  #253   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-14, 05:01

Plan: Low carb.
Stats: 190/183/146 Female 63.5
BF:
Progress: 16%

A while ago I was complaining of cramps and JEY100 pointed me towards this thread. Then because I was improving I forgot and let things slip. I had a sharp reminder yesterday and last night! I know I am not having enough salt, according to MFP I had only 379 on Friday, my daily goal it seems, is 2,300. That is a very big deficit. I think it may be my mind set, I have been brain washed for years that high salt can lead to HBP or even a stroke. I really must re-learn these things.

Many thanks.
  #254   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-15, 18:31
Craft Ninja!

Plan: Dr. Atkins/Dr. Westman
Stats: 204/194/169 Female 5'6" inches
BF:high wght over 204
Progress: 29%

This reminds me, I forgot to buy broth. :-)
  #255   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-15, 19:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have added calcium to my day as well as salt (I blow so many minds when I drink my salt water in the morning but I love it!) and Mag.