Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 14:32

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up North American Chat

To all North Americans:

How many of you would be interested in participating in a chat with other members? Please take a minute to respond to these questions:
1. If you are interested (and if not, feel free to post why)
2. The best time of day for the chat
3. What kind of topics to discuss OR if you do not want a scheduled topic
4. How often you would like the chat

The chat icon is at the bottom of the page and the new chat is set up nicely. There is currently a UK/Europe Chat that seems to be coming along quite well!! (good job Fiona!)

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.......

Linda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 15:34
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Yes, I would like a chat. I would like it about 7 or 8 p.m. eastern time on a Monday or Friday night.

Elihnig
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 15:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If the chats stay focussed on a topic, I might be interested. Chats can sometimes degenerate into everyday blah, blah, blah.

Scheduling the chats once a week would probably be good to start, to get people used to the idea of chatting, and maybe at different times to hit all the North American time zones equally unless you want to find chat leaders for each zone.

My schedule can be somewhat erratic, so I will leave the scheduling up to others. Otherwise, midnight is just perfect for me!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 15:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Chat Times

Hi Linda...glad you're getting this organized. It's the time of year when we're inside more and this will give us a chance to get to know each other better.

I'm sure even Doreen will have fun!!

My vote would be for a 9:00 p.m. chat time (EST), although we have the time change the end of the month. It would be nice if we had a time when those out east and those out west could all join in, that's why I'm suggesting something in the middle.

I'm not sure how many folks are available in the daytime as compared to evening. For me, I'm not available during the daytime.

I'd try a couple chats a week to start to build interest. I think it would be good to have topics, but also have a "potluck" night when anything goes! (See how my mind never leaves the kitchen). Perhaps an "open" chat once a week. I think that way folks can talk about whatever is on their mind at that time.

Probably chats could be taken from some of the main subject areas right off the forum...i.e. exercise, health, even counting carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 20:20

Plan: Atkins/ Modified BFL
Stats: 212/174/23
BF:
Progress: 40%

Fern,

I love the idea of the chats, and as far as I go, the more often the better! When I was somersizing, I went to the chat room at the www.suzannesomers.com website and thought it was terrific. It's a java program but what's great is that it' always open so you can pop in and see who's on and ask a question that needs a quick answer. How difficult is something like that to add to a website? As far as I know, it's always on, and not scheduled.

Having said that, I think any platform which is chosen shall be a wonderful addition to this forum. Thanks for your hard work!

Muse
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 20:44

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Cool! Count me in! The best chat time for me is during the day. But, I like the 9 EST if we do it at night. That's 7pm mountain time.

>>>>>>3. What kind of topics to discuss OR if you do not want a scheduled topic<<<<< .

I'd like to have topics.

>>>>>4. How often you would like <<<<

how about weekly or bi-weekly?

Thanks!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 07:03

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I think a chat would be great!

9 pm eastern time would be perfect!

I would like to have a topic. That way it doesn't turn out to be just chit chat.

I think maybe twice a week would be a good idea.

Heather
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 20:39

BF:

What days are good for everyone?
I can meet any except for Monday and Tuesday this semester.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 21:00

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

any day but tuesday or thursday this semester for me.

Heather
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 22:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi,

Great idea to get a NA chat group going. 9 pm EST is 6pm in Vancouver. Dinner hour. And I could be just rolling in the door. I think Karen has a great idea. Different time zones may need a different chat time, although anyone can drop into any chat if they are available. 9pm PST would work for me. Day of week? That depends on what's happening that week.

My 2 cents, Ruth
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 22:37

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

1. If you are interested (and if not, feel free to post why)
Yes, I'd be interested in chat.

2. The best time of day for the chat
Evenings are probably best for me. It's when I'm usually on the computer anyway. Sometime between 8 and 11 PST.

3. What kind of topics to discuss OR if you do not want a scheduled topic
I'd be happy to discuss any topic. I'd also be happy to just drop in for a few minutes and 'visit'.

4. How often you would like the chat
Once a week sounds good for a chat with a topic, maybe with a reminder posted in this forum. Anytime for a more casual chat. The chat room always exists doesn't it? If one is logged in here, is there a way to indicate that one is also logged into the chatroom?

Thanks for the energy and effort you are putting into this!

Marlaine
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 15:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlaine
. The chat room always exists doesn't it? If one is logged in here, is there a way to indicate that one is also logged into the chatroom?

Thanks for the energy and effort you are putting into this!

Marlaine

Marlaine-
The chat room does always exist. If you go to the homepage, it is at the bottom and it will tell you who is logged in.

Well, thanks for responding everyone!!!! It looks like we might need to have different times for those on EST vs. those on PST. As for me, I like the idea of topics but I also like the idea of just chit-chatting getting to know people better.
I still would like more feedback from others who could possibly be interested and then maybe we could get it started next week.
I would like to aim for next Monday, the 22nd at 9 PM EST. Any suggestions for a first topic?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 16:49

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default sounds good!

Mondays at 9 pm work for me ... well, any night at 9pm works for me (except weekends).

I think it is a great idea getting the NA chat going ... I am willing to discuss anything, so I am open to any topics ...
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 18:45

BF:

Fern,
Is there anyway that you can make it Weds? I have class on Mon & Tues nites.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 19:50

BF:

Next week I think we are going to go with Monday but we can try and have them twice a week perhaps. I don't get done class on Wed night until 9:30 but I don't get home until 10. Perhaps someone else could kind of "kick-start" chat on another night.....