Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-14, 11:50

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 115/111/110 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Low Carb Cheese Danish

Here is another Cheese Danish, if anyone is interested in. It is delicious!!!!

Low Carb Cheese Danish
http://uplateanyway.com/keto/cheese-danish-low-carb/

Dough
1 1/4 cup 2% mozzarella shredded cheese (140 grams)
6 T Almond Flour (42 grams)
3 T Coconut Flour (21 grams)
4 T sugar equivalent - 2 T erythritol, 2 T xylitol, 10 drops EZ Sweet
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 T butter (omit if you are using a higher fat cheese but I implore you to use the 2% or part skim mozzarella cheese!)
1 egg (large)

Filling
6 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. lemon juice-
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract- 1 tsp.
1/4 cup sugar equivalent-2 T erythritol, 2 T xylitol, ¼ tsp. stevia glycerite, 5 drops EZ Sweet
1 egg yolk

Frosting
3 T powdered sweetener (measure out 3 T of the powdered.)
2 T heavy cream
2 oz. cream cheese
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Filling
1.Soften cream cheese and combine with lemon juice, vanilla, and sweetener and egg yolk using a whisk or electric mixer. Set aside in the fridge until you are ready with the dough.

Dough
1. Measure out almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder. Combine well with a whisk.
2. Melt 4 T butter and add vanilla and sweetener. Stir.
3. Melt 1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese in the microwave (30% power for 2 minutes with a 1200 watt microwave).
4. Combine all the ingredients and add an egg.
5. Stir until batter is combined and the cheese and dough are completely mixed. Use your hands or a spatula to press and fold the cheese and the batter together. Reheat for 10 seconds in the microwave. Press and fold some more until 99% of the dough is all one color. (Tip-this gets sticky and if you wet your hands a little it helps tremendously. The water from your hands will stop the stickiness on the outside of the dough making it very easy to roll out.)
6. Reheat dough for 10 seconds and roll out into a square the approximate length of a rolling pin and slice into four quarters with a pizza slicer.
7. Fold the corners into the center repeating with all four squares.
8. Pipe filling (or spoon it on top!) into the center of each danish.
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes. (Check on this at 10 minutes and make sure to remove it from the oven as soon as it has a deep golden brown color! Just slightly past 13 minutes and 2 of mine did get burnt. Definitely keep an eye on it.) Mine only took 10 minutes.
Frosting
1. Soften cream cheese in the microwave and add powdered sweetener, heavy cream and vanilla. Mix well with a whisk and pour into a ziploc bag. Cut a tiny hole in the corner and pipe onto each danish.

Notes
Serves 4
per serving 429 Calories; 41g Fat; 9g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5 net carbs each!

Special notes for working with this cheese dough
Be sure to use cheese that is <1 carb per serving. If using a pre shredded cheese with over this amount of carbs per serving then it adds starches and powder (used to keep the shreds from caking together) to the dough which will not produce a dough like you see in the pictures above. I also recommend using a regular shred for the cheese. Finely shredded cheese does not melt well and will be difficult to work with. For best results only use a mozzarella that has no more than 5 grams of fat per 28 gram (1/4 cup) serving
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-14, 11:59

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Judy, Sounds so yum! j
I'm just wondering how the carb count per serving is so low? Does some of it cook out or something? 8g x 4 servings = 32 g, but the ingredients have more than 63g of carbs, which, divided by 4, would be more like 18-20 g per serving, wouldn't it?
Sorry if I've missed something obvious... I am just eager to make some new treats but also a bit terrified I'm going to screw up and eat too many carbs because the treats will be "so delicious" and It's been so long since I've had a sweet treat... don't want to over do it..
Jammie
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-14, 12:05

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 115/111/110 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackarch
I'm just wondering how the carb count per serving is so low? Does some of it cook out or something? 8g x 4 servings = 32 g, but the ingredients have more than 63g of carbs, which, divided by 4, would be more like 18-20 g per serving, wouldn't it?
Sorry if I've missed something obvious... I am just eager to make some new treats but also a bit terrified I'm going to screw up and eat too many carbs because the treats will be "so delicious" and It's been so long since I've had a sweet treat... don't want to over do it..
Jammie

Jammie,

This really, really is delicious. I have made it twice now. I could eat these everyday!! The 2nd time was the best because I got the sweeteners just right and the baking time-only 10 minutes.

Sorry, I can't help with the nutritional information. I just copy and pasted from that blog site.

Judy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-14, 21:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamackarch
Jammie

Jammie, I just checked this out on MyPLAN, and the carb counts do indeed do come to a total of 32. That's assuming the 42 grams of almond flour is weight, not grams of carbs. Maybe someone could check that to make sure?

ETA: Been ruminating about this, and realised that I didn't count any of the sweeteners. Uh... I guess because the sweeteners I use are worth very little carbwise.

Meanwhile, 6 tablespoons of almond meal will only be 39.6 grams weight, giving only 5.1 carbs instead of 5.5. Which, yeah, doesn't really make a whole lotta difference.

Last edited by Rosebud : Wed, Oct-29-14 at 22:38. Reason: Cos I've been chewing things over...